Afridi banned for 4 ODIs!

There are sportsmen who are short tempered. They are people.. Normal living people.. Does this stop them from being great and being a fans favorite? no.

Pak_cricketer said:
Actually Afridi brings a lot of aggressiveness that a team needs. Look at every sucessful team. They all have an aggressive person. Australia- Mcgrath, South Africa- Nel and Gibbs etc.

Did the guy complain?-- NO

Yes, they are aggressive characters. However, they know there is a line and not to cross it. Afridi did. Therefore Kev is right, he let his side down.

IloveGilly said:
I wouldn't consider McGrath as an aggressive person.

Competitive is the word. McGrath can be the angriest guy in the world at times. But he doesn't react with the crowd. I agree with the ban, perhaps not 4 games though.

I think with the amount of cricket teams are playing 4 games is just about right, end of topic. If Afridi learns anything - fine, otherwise Cricket moves on.

People in the subcontient surely like to bitch about everything don't ya?

I remember when the Indians had a cry when Martyn put his hands on some president who I'd never heard of and guided him off the stage.

evertonfan said:
Why is it too harsh? He acted like a thug and there was intent to hit him in the face.

How do you know he didnt insult him racially? or insult religion or somthing like that, would be suprised anyway...

Plus 4 ODIs is way to much at the time the commentators were saying 8 its stupid, maybe if he hit him it would make sense...

gaurav_indian said:
*cough cough* Gibbs.:p

Thank you, Gibbs seems to have come back after being a racist to the crowd!

evertonfan said:
If you can't handle the heat then stay out of the kitchen. This is a forum for cricket debate; Debating is expected.

I feel he should have been fined as well for tarnishing the games reputation. You don't go around being a thug like that when you are paid to set a good example.

What about when players are racist.............isnt that worse than attempting to poke a bat at someone?

Id rather see that then people being racist, even that Dean Jones thing with Amla, but we wont get into that...

duded64 said:
so if you aim a gun at someone and shoot but miss you cant get arrested? i saw this live when i was watching and he deserves it. i dont think he has the correct mentality to play at international level. he not right in the head...:rolleyes: .

HES PATHAN WHAT DO YA THINK :p

Duded you said afridi is also a cheat.............how did poking his bat enhance his performance...?

Afterthought: I bet someone will neg rep me...... :)

Last edited:
Punk said:
Afterthought: I bet someone will neg rep me.

As I said before Punk, Afridi seems to have a knack for dividing opinions! He's a bit like the cricketing marmite.

wfdu_ben91 said:

I remember when the Indians had a cry when Martyn put his hands on some president who I'd never heard of and guided him off the stage.
That was actually a difference in culture that I'm sure the Australians would have been far more aware of than you, seeing that they travel the world quite a bit.

puddleduck said:
As I said before Punk, Afridi seems to have a knack for dividing opinions! He's a bit like the cricketing marmite.
And in this situation, the division is just foolery. Cricketers get fined for disagreeing with the umpire and can miss matches just for saying things on the cricket field, because these are all considered untoward conduct for a representative and professional cricketer. They are all aware of

So when this guy gets a four match suspension for trying to hit (severity of the blow is irrelevant, when he shouldn't have attempted it in the first place) a spectator with his bat, how can you defend him? Sure, you can forgive him, but in terms of misconduct that is something which borders on illegal.

You can't say that because he was provoked, then it's not so bad. If he wasn't provoked he should have been banned from cricket. The whole point of a suspension like this is to say to both the player and other players don't ever do this and also to some extent send a message to the world that they consider this behaviour to be very, very poor.

I think 4 games for Afridi for what he did in comparison to the 2 games Gibbs got for what he did is totally out of proportion, to make a blatent racist comment loud and clear for the world to see will be remembered far longer as a poor act than Afridi's behaviour.....

It kind of reminds me of Justin Langer in the ashes series when he obviously reacted to something said when he got out...obviously he didnt look to or pretend to hit the guy but words were said...I think cricketers dont have to put up with that rubbish....

oh and on a comment a few pages back the crowd does NOT have freedom of speech, freedom of speech is not a constitutional law in all countries, in fact most dont have it...and certainly a person can be removed if they swear or is of poor behaviour.

doesnt change the fact that Afridi is one of the most overrated cricketers on this forum

wfdu_ben91 said:

Was that really necessary mate? I'm not from the Subcontinent or from an Indian, Pakistan, Bangladeshi or Sri Lankan background but you can't just say all they do is "bitch about everything" and they are entitled to their own opinions. I can understand why this forum is flooded with immature 12-14 year olds who just say crap just for the sake of it. Personally I feel Afridi deserved the 4 match ban and to me won't be that much of a loss as I expect Pakistan to qualify to Super 8 anyways and they got plenty of other gifted players who can do the job.

Punk Sk8r! said:
Duded you said afridi is also a cheat.............how did poking his bat enhance his performance...?
because dancing on a pitch roughing it up isnt cheating? and also when it could of been a bomb shows how stuipid he is.

wfdu_ben91 said:

When the next time you go out of home, and meet some one, ask them about 'differences in culture'.

Not sure about other Asian countries, but in India, we respect elders. Of course, it may be different in your country. Martyn didn't exactly guide him off stage. That was the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread