3. :eng: :bat: Mark Butcher
4. :eng: :wkb: Alec Stewart
5. :eng: :bat: David Gower
6. :eng: :ar: Freddie Flintoff
9. :eng: :bwl: Derek Underwood
10. :eng: :bwl: Steve Harmison
11.:eng: :bwl: Andy Caddick

@Bevab

bit of a second innings sam, but a fine bowler.

there's a 90s pace bowler i'm surprised nobody's taken yet...

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
bit of a second innings sam, but a fine bowler.

there's a 90s pace bowler i'm surprised nobody's taken yet...
Steady on - we can't have everyone wanting Simon Brown

90s bowlers get a bad wrap...
Speaking of Simon Brown, I think the reason they get a bad rap is because there are just so many of them that it becomes hard to pick out exactly which ones were any good. Steve Watkin, for example - far better than his three Test caps. Certainly better than Mike Watkinson, who got four caps somehow. And what exactly is a "Tim Munton"?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Steady on - we can't have everyone wanting Simon Brown

Speaking of Simon Brown, I think the reason they get a bad rap is because there are just so many of them that it becomes hard to pick out exactly which ones were any good. Steve Watkin, for example - far better than his three Test caps. Certainly better than Mike Watkinson, who got four caps somehow. And what exactly is a "Tim Munton"?
Watkin was quite injury prone sadly.

Just think in one test in 1992, Pakistan opened the bowling with Wasim and Waqar; we opened with Tim Minton and Neil Mallender.

As if we weren’t even trying.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Somehow missed out on the notification. I shall make my pick now.

Bevab

Staff Member
I really wanted to pick Snow and was very surprised that he remained unpicked for so long that I chanced it one more time with the pick of Hendren but @blockerdave's hint of an unpicked 90s bowler pointed me in the direction of one :eng::bwl:Angus Fraser, a perennially underrated bowler whose reputation is unfairly maligned with the infamous ineptness of the 90s England side. With Gough however, Fraser was one of the shining lights in that English attack despite his nearly two year absence owing to fitness concerns and Illingworth's unwillingness to select him. That is the main reason for him playing just 46 tests but how good was he in those tests! 13 five wicket hauls, the most number of wickets for England in that decade with the best record and a brutally good streak versus West Indies whose surfaces suited his style of patient bowling allied with uneven bounce very well. Quality and era adjusted averages easily swing him into a top 100 test bowler and with the presence of Trueman in the attack already, Fraser can focus best on restricting and frustrating the opposition with his near perfect line and length deliveries. And there shall be no Illingworth deciding my team to keep the gentle giant out of this side, he shall rest easy and focus just on getting opposition batsmen out after frustrating them. He was nothing special with the bat but could on occasion be a useful non-striker and block a few deliveries to extend a good lead.

1. :eng: :bat: Jack Hobbs
  2. ?
  3. :eng: :ar: Ted Dexter
  4. :eng: :bat: Denis Compton
  5. :eng: :bat: Patsy Hendren
  6. :eng: :ar: Tony Greig
  7. :eng: :ar: Billy Bates
  8. ?
  9. :eng: :bwl: Angus Fraser
  10. :eng: :bwl: Fred Trueman
  11. :eng: :bwl: Sydney Barnes
[DOUBLEPOST=1606849680][/DOUBLEPOST]@ahmedleo414 to continue.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I really wanted to pick Snow and was very surprised that he remained unpicked for so long that I chanced it one more time with the pick of Hendren but @blockerdave's hint of an unpicked 90s bowler pointed me in the direction of one :eng::bwl:Angus Fraser, a perennially underrated bowler whose reputation is unfairly maligned with the infamous ineptness of the 90s England side. With Gough however, Fraser was one of the shining lights in that English attack despite his nearly two year absence owing to fitness concerns and Illingworth's unwillingness to select him. That is the main reason for him playing just 46 tests but how good was he in those tests! 13 five wicket hauls, the most number of wickets for England in that decade with the best record and a brutally good streak versus West Indies whose surfaces suited his style of patient bowling allied with uneven bounce very well. Quality and era adjusted averages easily swing him into a top 100 test bowler and with the presence of Trueman in the attack already, Fraser can focus best on restricting and frustrating the opposition with his near perfect line and length deliveries. And there shall be no Illingworth deciding my team to keep the gentle giant out of this side, he shall rest easy and focus just on getting opposition batsmen out after frustrating them. He was nothing special with the bat but could on occasion be a useful non-striker and block a few deliveries to extend a good lead.

1. :eng: :bat: Jack Hobbs
  2. ?
  3. :eng: :ar: Ted Dexter
  4. :eng: :bat: Denis Compton
  5. :eng: :bat: Patsy Hendren
  6. :eng: :ar: Tony Greig
  7. :eng: :ar: Billy Bates
  8. ?
  9. :eng: :bwl: Angus Fraser
  10. :eng: :bwl: Fred Trueman
  11. :eng: :bwl: Sydney Barnes
[DOUBLEPOST=1606849680][/DOUBLEPOST]@ahmedleo414 to continue.

Fraser was a quality bowler - albeit not the one I had in mind!!

Bevab

Staff Member
Fraser was a quality bowler - albeit not the one I had in mind!!

I can think of a couple more but Fraser was just too good to pass upon, the only other alternative was a 50s pacer and that era was slightly notorious for being rather bowler friendly.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My pick will be Allan Lamb

D9fiF3DWkAA49CW.jpg

Stats||Mts||Runs||HS||:bat: Ave||100s/50s
First-Class | |467| |32,502| |294| |48.94| |89/166
Test | |79| |4,656| |142| |36.09| |14/18

A bit of his bio from cricinfo:

"Some England cricketers are born; there was no destiny in Allan Lamb's career. Signed from Western Province as an unknown by Northamptonshire as their overseas player in 1978, he was chugging along nicely when Ken Turner, their secretary, persuaded him that South Africa were years away from returning to Test cricket and that he should invoke his English-born parents to play for England. He never lost his accent nor his attitudes: there was always the hint of the colonial chancer about him -- but Lamb was to be a fixture of the England middle order for the next decade. Small, stocky, aggressive, he had a correct technique, power in his shots and a gift for needling the bowlers. Lamb captained England in three Tests, hopelessly, but in 1995 he came close to taking Northamptonshire to their first Championship, strutting round the county grounds like Napoleon."
ahmedleo414's England all time playing XI:

1. :eng: :bat: Leonard Hutton
  2. :eng: :ar: W.G. Grace
  3. :eng: :bat: Jonathan Trott
  4. :eng: :ar: Frank Wooley
  5. :eng: :bat: Allan Lamb
  6. :eng: :ar: Ian Botham
  7. :eng: :wk: Alan Knott
  8. ?
  9. :eng: :bwl: Jofra Archer
  10. :eng: :bwl: Tony Lock
  11. :eng: :bwl: Bob Willis