Alleged match fixing in the IPL

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well overseas players have been accused of it in the past and English players like Merv Westfield have been convicted.

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Ahh!!
Who better than Untouchables666 could have started a thread, directly pointing the Indians.
True, its a disgrace to Indian cricket, but over the years, after Azhar Jadeja scandal, this has shooted withnthe upcoming of the IPL.
I won't back out, yes they have cheated, and it has given you a new way to criticise the Indians!! Mind you, it is now, limited to the IPL.

Request the moderators todelete this thread.
Otherwise this would only lead to racist attacks.

S

Satan666

Well overseas players have been accused of it in the past and English players like Merv Westfield have been convicted.

I know. I meant within the present IPL series for which the three Indian players have been arrested, wouldve thought the foreign players may have been the subject of the bookies. Read in one of the reports on cricinfo that one of the bookie is a close friend of Sreesanth so I'm thinking these plans may have been organised months before the IPL even started hence only Indian players were involved.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Ahh!!
Who better than Untouchables666 could have started a thread, directly pointing the Indians.
True, its a disgrace to Indian cricket, but over the years, after Azhar Jadeja scandal, this has shooted withnthe upcoming of the IPL.
I won't back out, yes they have cheated, and it has given you a new way to criticise the Indians!! Mind you, it is now, limited to the IPL.

If people make racist attacks they get banned; simple.

S

Satan666

Ahh!!

Its my sincere promise I will do my utmost to refrain from any racist posts. The point I want to bring to the fore, something I have been posting all these years is that the bookies are the main cause of match fixing, cheating, thing is the bookies, majority of them are based in India. ICC haven't addressed this the root cause being the Indian bookies!

S

Satan666

^Maybe youre right its more to do with the law enforcement officers, doesnt the ICC have a fraud investigation department? Players should recieve better training on how to deal with the bookies when they're approached by one. Programs like these if instituted by the ICC may help.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Well, at least the police have actually done their job. The Delhi Commissioner's statement cast the anti-corruption agency in pretty bad light though (I don't think this is the ICC's ACU. It said "anti-corruption agency employed by the organizers"), saying that they had no idea what was going on and the Delhi Police have been onto it for weeks.

As for the other point - that Indian bookies are involved in each of the incidences. Well, that one doesn't hold so well. Check out this timeline of corruption cases since May 2008: Corruption in cricket : A familiar failing | Cricket Features | Global | ESPN Cricinfo
Only two out of the five cases have anything to do with Indian bookies.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
^Maybe youre right its more to do with the law enforcement officers, doesnt the ICC have a fraud investigation department? Players should recieve better training on how to deal with the bookies when they're approached by one. Programs like these if instituted by the ICC may help.

Well, the ICC does have an Anti-Corruption Unit, and if I know anything about corporate culture, I know they force every player to go through at least some sort of orientation/class/seminar/training about how to handle bookies. The real question is what do you do with players (of all nationalities) who want to deal with bookies? No training or seminar can help there. Life bans and strict punishment without appeal is the way to go. Scare the ---- out of the players - it certainly has a better chance of success than whatever it is the ICC has been doing until now.

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I'm very confused about it, these bookies are illegal full stop yeah? very, very difficult to stop them trying to fix matches if their existence is fundamentally illegal.

the one saving grace is at least the police are actually on this now and it's down to journalists creating elaborate stings.

Users who are viewing this thread