Alleged match fixing in the IPL

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Dravid being a respected player or whatever doesn't stop anyone from having the right to investigate him imo.

Thats true mate.I never said he should not be.If there is a doubt,even Sachin Tendulkar can be questioned.Positions or stature doesnt matter.Everybody needs to abide by laws.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Delhi Police:- "Dravid to be Questioned just because he will definately help in the problem....ther?e is no point that he is involved in this case....we just need to Question him to determine any unnatural behaviour pattern in the arrested players"

The Wall Stands Tall......
#Jammy Rules....!!!

----------

Just In:

The police have denied media reports that Rajasthan Royals? owners Shilpa Shetty and Raj Kundra or captain Rahul Dravid would be investigated.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
It's just that you feel bad for Rahul Dravid. He has been absolutely brilliant for Rajasthan this year. He has done so well as a captain and as a player and brought a team together which nobody was expecting to go through to the semi-finals. It was like a perfect story until these 3 idiots came up with this ----. Team is doing well in current game so I hope they come out even stronger from this incident.

sahilnatu

Club Captain
Thats true mate.I never said he should not be.If there is a doubt,even Sachin Tendulkar can be questioned.Positions or stature doesnt matter.Everybody needs to abide by laws.

What nonsense! Dravid is RR's captain. What's Sachin got to do here?
One question mate; Are you a compulsive Dravid defender who loves putting an individual ahead of the team (and the police investigation process)?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Dravid is questioned because he is the captain of the team. When these things are involved, there will be high suspicions that the captain of the team might be knowing this. That's why you question the top management of the team (i.e. the captain and the owners).

Sachin is not captain of MI anymore. But if suspicion is raised against him (just as an example), I wouldn't mind people questioning him (although I will never believe people like Sachin, Dravid, etc will get involved in things like this). Nobody is above the law.

----------

Also, been hearing reports in the Indian media that they are planning to legalize betting in India. I wonder how it will solve the problem and reduce the impact of this problem. Betting doesn't involve the sportsperson, but here in this case the sportsperson is explicitly involved in the process, which should always be illegal. And if it is, what purpose does "legalizing the betting process" serve?

sahilnatu

Club Captain
Also, been hearing reports in the Indian media that they are planning to legalize betting in India. I wonder how it will solve the problem and reduce the impact of this problem. Betting doesn't involve the sportsperson, but here in this case the sportsperson is explicitly involved in the process, which should always be illegal. And if it is, what purpose does "legalizing the betting process" serve?

What happens is as betting is illegal in India along with match fixing (obviously), the thin line separating it tends to disappear. The things slowly drift from betting to spot fixing and match fixing. If at all betting is legalized, it puts in a strong message, makes that line a one between legality and illegality.
Ppl are much less prone to cross it then. And, since betting won't be under illegal acts anymore, you could pass in a resolution to strengthen the law against spot/match fixing alone. That would allow for more severe punishments like imprisonment, without getting those who were involved in just the betting (they didn't commit a crime) into the picture.

S

Satan666

Sachin is not captain of MI anymore. But if suspicion is raised against him (just as an example), I wouldn't mind people questioning him (although I will never believe people like Sachin, Dravid, etc will get involved in things like this). Nobody is above the law.

Cant believe Dravid is capable of something like this neither Sai, but he may've known what was happening. Wouldnt put it pass Sachin, doubt he can take money for fixing but wouldnt put it pass him!

----------

What nonsense! Dravid is RR's captain. What's Sachin got to do here?
One question mate; Are you a compulsive Dravid defender who loves putting an individual ahead of the team (and the police investigation process)?

There were rumours going around when the news initially broke that Sachin along with players from other teams may have also been in the racket, also there are concerns that the last 5 IPL tournaments may have had some match fixing.

----------

I honestly feel that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Shameful to know that a veteran of 100 ODIs have indulged in such behaviour. This just goes to prove that there may be many more too.
The news channels are pointing out that this has been seen through the previous IPLs too. TBH, I dont think any cricketing body can stop spot fixing as we have seen how incapable the BCCI and ECB have been in their respective leagues.

Remeber icy its only an allegation. Sreesanth may be guilty of nothing when the dust settles.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Cant believe Dravid is capable of something like this neither Sai, but he may've known what was happening. Wouldnt put it pass Sachin, doubt he can take money for fixing but wouldnt put it pass him!

----------

There were rumours going around when the news initially broke that Sachin along with players from other teams may have also been in the racket, also there are concerns that the last 5 IPL tournaments may have had some match fixing.

Did you just wake up?

----------

@sahilnatu: Ah! Now I get it... But still, I would be focusing on other things than to do something that helps betting. Its not as if legalizing betting is going to help the nation. It will only make people more fearless about getting into it.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Its not ruled out that all of this could be yet another fix to hit back at Sreesanth for triggering the slap gate episode all over again. After deepurayil mentioned it in the IPL thread, I feel it could also be a possibility. And the mysterious fact that the Delhi police could uncover so much information in such a short time from the players and also the fact that only the Delhi police keeps getting involved whenever there is a match fixing allegation that comes in, all adds up to the possibility that this is a scripted drama.

If Sree and those other guys are not involved, I wish truth prevails and helps them get their justice. Right now, I am not believing anyone.Watch out! Probably Sreesanth and Chandila might come to court and say that they never confessed at all. I am expecting it to happen!

----------

No. Why ask?

You just sounded like you had woken up after a dream... :p

Last edited:

sahilnatu

Club Captain
I'd rather believe the police than these 3 idiots. Moreover, this arrest has lots of evidence behind it. Delhi police were present in RR matches against KXIP & PWI in the stadium trying to get in as much evidence as possible. Even though they had enough evidence they waited for MI match to confirm it & finalize the arrests.
The phones were tapped, evidence of transaction found. I don't think any of them is innocent.
Chandila was contacted by the bookies prior to the tournament & they had asked him to get in more RR players for fixing. He had asked 3 players but only Chavan agreed (the other 2 names are still unknown). Sreesanth got in because of his cousin Jiju Janardhanan (ex Kerala cricketer).
One of the bookies is Amit Singh (ex RR player).

deepuparayil

International Cricketer
Someone posted this on facebook and I think it's a valid observation:

"We are not that sure abt sreesanths case even now.. But i have a doubt.. This is that over.

His target for bookies is said as 13 runs.. After the 4th ball,only was only 5 runs conceeded.. And to assure his target,sree has to conceed 8 more runs in the next two deliveries.. But how can he make sure that those two balls will be hit to boundary by gilly?? So,naturally,the best way infront of him wud be to bowl a no ball.!! So,an extra run wud be conceeded and the batsman wud take the advantage of the free hit and hit a 6 or 4.!! That makes him easy to achieve his booked target.!! But sreesanth hasnt done that..! Why???:-o"

Bevab

Staff Member
Because he could make a poor delivery that could easily be a boundary? At least that would be less suspicious.

Users who are viewing this thread