Alleged match fixing in the IPL

S

Satan666

^^Not sure, he once sold his Ferari gifted to him by Fiat via Michael Schumacher in order to make money and he allegedly tampered with the ball in South Africa. But yeah at this age I doubt it, during his career he has never had ill dealings with bookies, credit to him for this.

S

Satan666

Response from an IPL fan at heart who posted in the IPL discussion thread, excellent post mate.

Like Ganguly here, I am also feeling very sad and sorry for the man, Rahul Dravid. He doesn't deserve to captain a team that is carrying all these evil minded players.

As far as Sreesanth goes, I still can't believe he is involved. From what I've seen of him, he is a very soft, god fearing guy who has good family values. He is overtly aggressive and all that on the field, but behind all that he was a soft good natured guy. Hard to believe he is involved in all this.. Maybe he was forced into this by someone. The truth might never come out, but I wish it does for the good of Sreesanth and everyone.

Time to take stock now, and think about how further damage can be avoided to the nation's reputation. For a first, the IPL should be scrapped. Its a breeding ground for corruption with the obscene amounts of money being paid out to the players, and the glaring media spotlight that accompanies it. I enjoy the IPL, but if it causes damage like this, it should be scrapped. When you let all these rich people like the Ambani's and the Shahrukh's and the Srinivasan's flaunt their big money, you will end up with dirt like this. In a still developing and a greedy mindset country like ours (I mean I am part of it too), we still need to go a lot down further before our people can be mature enough not to fall for the money trap pretty easily.

Sai there have been protests in Bangalore, and maybe elsewhere across the motherland, my avatar shows a sign by the Indians showing their disgust with the present situation, so many Indians are angered by this shameful act, and they are making their voices heard, really proud of these protesters standing up to the IPL, maybe the beginning of a revolt against the BCCI.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Hard to believe SRT is involved.
And who says he is involved?

The problem being the laws relating to fixing. The big NRI bookies have much to influence, esp in tournaments like IPL. And yet again proved, as to why IPL is a disgrace to the beautiful game of cricket. There should be a standard set by ACU if not the boards, as to how far punish a player caught for spot fixing. Tbh, one escapes out easily after appealing in the courts, just like how Azhar and Jadeja had.

Now, as most of us can guess, the players who'd be responsible will be the new breed of cricketers who get lured in terms of money. And this is not the last time, I just hope, we have a lot of names being shelled out this time itself.

As a true lover of the sport, </3 :(((

S

Satan666

And who says he is involved?

The problem being the laws relating to fixing. The big NRI bookies have much to influence, esp in tournaments like IPL. And yet again proved, as to why IPL is a disgrace to the beautiful game of cricket. There should be a standard set by ACU if not the boards, as to how far punish a player caught for spot fixing. Tbh, one escapes out easily after appealing in the courts, just like how Azhar and Jadeja had.

Now, as most of us can guess, the players who'd be responsible will be the new breed of cricketers who get lured in terms of money. And this is not the last time, I just hope, we have a lot of names being shelled out this time itself.

As a true lover of the sport, </3 :(((

Cant blame the IPL really.

Have you seen an official statement from the ICC pertaining this issue vaibad?
Cuz I read that the BCCI says the ICC are responsible for the IPL.

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Cant blame the IPL really.

Have you seen an official statement from the ICC pertaining this issue vaibad?
Cuz I read that the BCCI says the ICC are responsible for the IPL.

Better not write my name, if you don't want to spell it correctly.

Nope, busy with exams, its the next morning.
And anyway, it should be the responsibilty of respective boards, from state to national, to identify and then structure out the developments accordingly.
And if BCCI wants to prove anything, it should better take harsh steps in the circumstances, cause, for now the allegations are pretty much clear!!

Gurjot95

National Board President
Hard to believe SRT is involved.
He is just trolling. It's hard to find any of his post which is without criticizing Sachin. Thought it was obvious.

Anyways, one thing I never understood is with all the money in IPL, how can someone still be unsatisfied with that amount of money. IPL is solely responsible for the increasing greed of players. There is a good chance that there are still lot more corrupt players who are living freely and probably doing it for ages without any suspicion. I knew it was inevitable when the IPL first started. I am actually surprised it took this long tbh.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I'm very confused about it, these bookies are illegal full stop yeah? very, very difficult to stop them trying to fix matches if their existence is fundamentally illegal.

It is my understanding that legal gambling in India is limited to lottery and horse racing. Online gambling is heavily regulated, and the onus is on ISPs to block offshore betting sites.

So yes, cricket gambling is fundamentally illegal in India, hence the large underworld presence. Several people, including the ICC (I believe) at some point, have suggested that making betting legal and heavily government-regulated might help the situation.

The wiki article mentions a source that says that the Indian gambling market is worth USD60 billion, only about half of which is legal. That's a ton of dough.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I honestly feel that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Shameful to know that a veteran of 100 ODIs have indulged in such behaviour. This just goes to prove that there may be many more too.
The news channels are pointing out that this has been seen through the previous IPLs too. TBH, I dont think any cricketing body can stop spot fixing as we have seen how incapable the BCCI and ECB have been in their respective leagues.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
So yes, cricket gambling is fundamentally illegal in India, hence the large underworld presence. Several people, including the ICC (I believe) at some point, have suggested that making betting legal and heavily government-regulated might help the situation.
The problem is that most attempts to Government regulate a gaming sector are just aimed at finding a new source of tax revenue, and not with any view to legitimising it.

I wouldn't imagine bringing the government into gambling on cricket in India would help the corruption situation.

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Something was bound to come out eventually, hard to believe anything in the IPL tbh, could anyone who follows the IPL tell me why there is no outcry over the fact that the BCCI president is also the owner of one of the IPL teams who surprise surprise has the best team pretty much every season? If thats not a conflict of interest I don't know what is.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I agree with the CSK conflict of interest point. The same has been raised time and again in their previous meetings too. Today, the IPL is governed by the major corporate houses like Ambanis and Srinivasans.
Not for any reason does Chris Gayle belong to RCB, when the rules clearly state that if an injured player is replaced, the same should not be available to that franchisee the next year.

If you remember correctly, Gayle was signed on for IPL 4 as a replacement. He took the IPL by storm and was given a permanent spot in the team. the Sahara team had to let back Clarke into the auction pool last year. These are clearly double standards.

Rewind to the CLT20 which Mumbai won and had the benefit of playing 5 foreigners in their team. Rules are being constantly changed to favour the top 3 teams like MI, RCB and CSK.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
And that is exactly what Lalit Modi said yesterday when he was on CNN-IBN. He mentioned that they are breaking every rule of the tournament because of the money the management is getting for that. The thing that surprises me however is Sreesanth's name. I can expect someone like Chandila or Chavan to be involved because they don't get much from these IPL contracts plus the match fee of domestic games that they play might not be enough for them, but Sreesanth? That guy gets 400,000 US Dollar for playing 2 months of IPL plus whatever fees he gets for playing domestic matches. 400,000 US Dollar is almost 21952000 crore Indian rupees. How much more do you want?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Something was bound to come out eventually, hard to believe anything in the IPL tbh, could anyone who follows the IPL tell me why there is no outcry over the fact that the BCCI president is also the owner of one of the IPL teams who surprise surprise has the best team pretty much every season? If thats not a conflict of interest I don't know what is.

I have no answer for the conflict of interest thing. But I would like to tell you that CSK has the best team because the players have performed every IPL. We dont have the likes of Gayle, Malinga, Pollard, Sehwag, etc but we have found players who have performed. Who would have thought Hussey would be such a monstrous hit this season? Or Faf last season? And the likes of Vijay, Raina, Ashwin, Badrinath, etc have performed most of the time. Only big star we have in our team is MS Dhoni, and he has had a few ordinary seasons too.

I agree that the conflict of interest should be removed, but CSK is what it is because of their own work.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Now RR Management and Rahul Dravid are going to be examined because Ajit Chandila's lawyer has dropped a bomb that they were aware of the blackmail that Chandila got.Such an insult for the most respected cricketer on the planet.RIP CRICKET.

Users who are viewing this thread