Any Improvements?

To what degree is the mention of marijuana and drugs allowed here, in non-serious discussions?

Are you in New Zealand by any chance?

haha no, Scotland. I'm sure that Dhoni and co would love to come on a trip here right now, but I don't think that its an option for them...

e: ^^ its mandatory in any conversation with Dutch - or anyone from the Netherlands really!

Last edited:
To what degree is the mention of marijuana and drugs allowed here, in non-serious discussions?

Not nearly enough.

i think a vote down, dislike or whatever you want to call it as @gkrama was on about would be a good thing. it's odd that you consider a positive feedback button worthwhile, but its counterpoint not worthwhile.

as a shorthand for "you're talking rubbish (again)" i think it'd be immensely worthwhile. it might increase the server load though.

Look, in simple words, this is a forum, not a blog. Here, everyone is encouraged to post, and put in their thoughts about a topic.
A blog on the other hand has one person posting his thoughts on something, and others agreeing/disagreeing, through like/dislike buttons, etc.
We want healthy discussion on the forum, not a thousand single post threads with only likes and dislikes.

I'm not saying that you should only like posts, and not disagree to what's being said. If you happen to offer a different view, put it in, it's always good for the sake of discussion.

The reason why we implemented the thanks button, was to reduce spam in the form of posts which would just want to thank the author, for example, in the downloads section.

----------

Further, if you happen to really dislike a post, and don't want to start a war by replying to it, you can use the rep system to negative rep the poster, or if you think the post is breaking the rules, please report it.

that's all fine, but it's also not even the beginning of an explanation of why it's considered to work in a positive feedback context, but wouldn't/couldn't work in a negative feedback context.

youtube for example, is not a blog but does have vote up/vote down. ok, the level of discourse there is below the gutter, but that's because it's "general public"...

the reputation thing is nonsense, and not the same thing at all. it's more or less private, i have received reputation, some positive some negative (a few that appear to be neither, oddly) but i have absolutely no idea what it means, what effect it has or is supposed to have or you and the "reputation-loving" mods think it has?

I think one of the reason a "Vote Down/Thumbs Down" button won't be helpful is because the ego of the OP might take a hit. And that might lead to a series of verbal attacks on one another.

Everyone is happy with a thanks button, but no one would want a thumbs down button. Since the nature of the button is negative, even I feel it's best not to have one.

that's all fine, but it's also not even the beginning of an explanation of why it's considered to work in a positive feedback context, but wouldn't/couldn't work in a negative feedback context.
Because, 'I agree with you' explains itself. It comes with the context of the post that is being agreed with/thanked - often in a discussion other users are able to succinctly explain something or make a point such that you would have nothing else to add, hence just approving of it is in itself a contribution to ongoing discussion - a lot of people backing up a view is about the same as a bunch of people posting basically the same thing and saves a bit of effort.

A negative button doesn't do any of that. Disagreeing, except for the occasional case where you think the literal opposite of the post is what you would agree with, informs no one of anything and doesn't further the discussion.

Wait for someone else to write a post that disagrees with the original one and thank that. Or just let their posts slide into obscurity for being not worth anyone's time responding to.

The reputation system isn't something we've emphasised as a site for a long while now. However, it can convey to a poster in a quick and quiet way that they've made a bad post, some people might appreciate the feedback. Most probably don't notice.

Because, 'I agree with you' explains itself. It comes with the context of the post that is being agreed with/thanked - often in a discussion other users are able to succinctly explain something or make a point such that you would have nothing else to add, hence just approving of it is in itself a contribution to ongoing discussion - a lot of people backing up a view is about the same as a bunch of people posting basically the same thing and saves a bit of effort.

A negative button doesn't do any of that. Disagreeing, except for the occasional case where you think the literal opposite of the post is what you would agree with, informs no one of anything and doesn't further the discussion.

Wait for someone else to write a post that disagrees with the original one and thank that. Or just let their posts slide into obscurity for being not worth anyone's time responding to.

The reputation system isn't something we've emphasised as a site for a long while now. However, it can convey to a poster in a quick and quiet way that they've made a bad post, some people might appreciate the feedback. Most probably don't notice.

i agree with a lot of that, in theory, but in practice i don't think that works. i think the DBC forums over the last few days would have benefited from a "disagree/dislike" button, rather than having people respond to a post; especially if implemented with a yahoo-style option of hiding posts that go over a threshold of negative feedback and allowing the individual user to decide if they want to see it.

just adding my points matt :
The simple fact is your view of thanks button wont reside with everyone,the most common use of it is similar to like /+1 thumbsup .most people hit thanks and do add their two cents regardless.

and lack of -1/v button is only causing the posters to miss feedback.
The lack of it is not going to encourage people to post.

yes like block says some posts are best when not replied and at the same time ,'mate the stuff u post is not upto the mark ' button would help.
This actually prevents heating up of things and not vice versa.

Plus it will help people in a better way to go through threads ,especially for people who visit once in a few days and have to go through lots of content.

Is there a possibility of just trying it out in just one thread or one subforum as a demo test it out practically.

Something like the ind/ nz tour thread or the release date thread.

Okay, if I create a thread, "Sachin Tendulkar is the best batsman in the world", and we have the like/dislike buttons on it, how many posts do you think the thread will reach? Hardly 5.
The opening post however, would have a hundred likes and a hundred dislikes. Without discussion, does it make any sense to have threads?

i agree with a lot of that, in theory, but in practice i don't think that works. i think the DBC forums over the last few days would have benefited from a "disagree/dislike" button, rather than having people respond to a post; especially if implemented with a yahoo-style option of hiding posts that go over a threshold of negative feedback and allowing the individual user to decide if they want to see it.
Which would make it hard if you have a particularly strong opinion counter to a lot of the rest of the thread, having a post buried because people disagree just would make people want to have 'popular' opinions - not something that helps discussion.

The DBC forum already has a problem of people finding it hard to make a negative point about the game without being jumped on, having a down voting system to discourage them further would make it much worse.

On recent days in that section, blame barmy for that. I won't defend it.

Something like the ind/ nz tour thread
Which is precisely where I think it would be worst. You'd just get the NZ fans being down voted by the Indian fans and vice versa. That's not discussion.

Okay, if I create a thread, "Sachin Tendulkar is the best batsman in the world", and we have the like/dislike buttons on it, how many posts do you think the thread will reach? Hardly 5.
The opening post however, would have a hundred likes and a hundred dislikes. Without discussion, does it make any sense to have threads?

I will try something out and let you know on this.Im not arguing what im say is right but i feel its something that can be tried out,i myself am curious why cant we have this?

Which is precisely where I think it would be worst. You'd just get the NZ fans being down voted by the Indian fans and vice versa. That's not discussion.

This is based on assumption that people are lazy and wont put forward their points,any what u say is already there, when two fans groups of fans argue
There is always going to likes and dislikes of equal amount.

I suggested that thread for trying out because that thread is dispensable after the series to an extent.
Than say having it in a general discussion thread.

That is rubbish on so many levels. Have you ever had such a button and therefore know it? Are you seriously suggesting the vast majority of people on a cricket discussion forum would just like/dislike that rather than say "yes, he gets my vote for lasting so long with pressure of 1bn fans" or "no, for me he didn't play enough match winning innings overseas, i vote ponting" or "bradman, average 99.94 - you can't argue with that", or "SRT was in a good batting lineup to support him, i vote Lara because he held WI together for years", or "kallis for me, great batting and still stayed good as an allrounder", or "if i had to choose a batsman to watch, i'd choose sobers", or "jack hobbs - 197 first class centuries"... there i've just had 7 posts and i'm only arguing with myself...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread