Any Improvements?

Which would make it hard if you have a particularly strong opinion counter to a lot of the rest of the thread, having a post buried because people disagree just would make people want to have 'popular' opinions - not something that helps discussion.

The DBC forum already has a problem of people finding it hard to make a negative point about the game without being jumped on, having a down voting system to discourage them further would make it much worse.

which is why there should be a reasonable threshold, that could be countered by "up" votes.

if you guys had tried it before and decided it didn't work, that'd be one thing, but you seem set against based on a flawed analysis.

I think everyone is forgetting that a very large internet forum has this up/down voting things, and its among the worst places on the internet. Please don't turn PC into reddit, it would be horrible

I personally think that the dislike button would turn this place into more of a blog than a public forum whilst discouraging new contributors to the discussion. I'm sure some people would find it rather dispiriting to have several dislikes and a hidden post on one of their early, perhaps less in-the-know posts and could refrain from future posting.

I currently can't see any problems with the current system and don't feel changes to it are necessary.

if you guys had tried it before and decided it didn't work, that'd be one thing, but you seem set against based on a flawed analysis.
I'm set against it because I don't think it would be helpful in a forum environment and don't want to make my job harder by implementing something that I foresee as causing more arguments than it would prevent.

It's preferential to encourage positive feedback to users - as that can even be someone who disagrees thanking a post that makes a well stated contribution, respecting the value of the post, not an agree/disagree structure. That's why it's a 'thanks' button, not a +1 or a Like button.

As a bulk of our forum activity is around user created content, where the goal is to encourage constructive criticism and feedback - there's no room for nuance in a negative vote.

As for trying it - years back, the reputation system was a bigger thing - your reputation level was displayed under your posts - showing a bar of your 'reputation' on the forum. We frequently had problems of tit for tat negative reps, people upvoting their friends, people who got suddenly plunged into a negative total because of a few disagreeable posts.

To counter, we reset the lot, cut down the impact of each user and took away the focus on it and added in the thanks system. We've certainly never had such major incidences since.

If that happens then people would be more lazy. Someone will hardly post with suggestions in GFX forums and other downloads forums. At the moment we can't make a negative post in response to a mod/graphic with just written 'Bad', 'Worse', 'Awful' because each negative comment should come with suggestion on 'where to improve'. So everyone does post suggestive comments in a thread. If dislike thing arrives then that suggestive posts would be stopped. Just few old graphic makers and mod makers will tell to improve and other will go down or up with just button hits.

About Cricket discussion forums - As I said previously a page or few pages back, it will create some stupid arguments. As dislike thing is public, people hardly accepts negative response publicly unless its with satisfying response.

About DBC - I don't visit that forum regularly. Each day there nothing new happens related to root topic. Even a thread in there is second platform to talk about ongoing Ind vs Nz series.

I think a 'dislike' button would get abused on here. I can see multiple accounts being made just to give extra 'dislike' votes to people.

Reposting, may be it got lost in our button discussion

can we have poll widget for poll made in general Cricket discussions section available across the whole forum

The poll widget apart frm showing the votes should have a link to the thread of the poll.

This can encourage more General cricket discussion .

For example this topic has only
http://www.planetcricket.org/forums...lower-kevin-pietersen-who-stays-87470-12.html

around 60 votes , of the 10000 active members, if this poll is present as widget below next to the Planetcricket rules banner it could have garnered more votes and more people giving their views

Is it possible?

Assuming it was possible (would probably be, but would add unnecessary extra load when most would ignore it), the main issue is that it would need to be kept up to date and relevant - replacing the poll frequently.

There aren't that many polls posted (especially relevant cricket discussion ones), so that would be tough to do.

I do occasionally post polls on our facebook page - so drop me a VM if you've got an idea for one, especially if there's a relevant discussion thread to link back to.

I can't believe someone seriously cited YouTube as an example of a "dislike" function working. Thats the lowest form of internet discussion forums you can have.

This a forum, not reddit. If you disagree with someone, form a sentence.

Well, seeing that both the sides, those who favor and those who don't favor the dislike button suggestion, why can't we have it for a week or so and see how things go from there. If the feedback is positive then it can stay and if it isn't then you can remove it.

why can't we have it for a week or so and see how things go from there.
Because it would need to be implemented, i.e. built from scratch. The amount of work and effort needed cannot be justified by an experimental period.
And before someone jumps up, No, we are not shying away from work. If there is a need for something to be done, we'll try our best to do it. We are more concerned about the activity and how certain implementations might adversely affect the same. The dislike button is one of these, which we feel will surely reduce the activity and overall quality of the forum.

IMO, I'd much rather you guys spent the time doing the cool shit like overlays and forum loading times, moderating threads, removing muppets, sending me infraction notices and generally being cool guys, rather than mucking about with pointless buttons and clogging up the UI for a few days so children can avoid a painless few minutes to come up with a valid counter-point to a discussion and instead, just click a button because, stupid.

...Plus you'd prolly put Barmy on the job and we'd end up with buttons everywhere, a Caput Mortuum coloured theme with little hamsters for folder icons.

Could we have icons for Cricket download threads, Graphic threads, and Cricket Leagues, just like the icons of Facebook and Twitter - would be more convenient and would help reduce the average signature size.

Users who are viewing this thread