Any Improvements?

Why would you use an example of something that clearly doesn't work [YouTube's globally heralded lowest common denominator discussion system] as an example of anything? I don't understand, genuinely.

Because I think the vote up/down on the video is separate to the discussion element, and is not the cause of the gutter-level discussion. the vote up/down thing, i think works quite well.

the discussions are gutter because that's what happens when the lowest common denominator effect takes place on a site visited by the masses. cf facebook and here for bradman cricket, neither has a dislike/disagree/vote down button, the conversation here is usually of a reasonable level, the facebook page is full of batshit insanity and comments that make you despair for the future of the human race. as we have a smaller subset here, and very good mods who do a good job of keeping the level up via infractions/bannings, and decent self-policing of members being perfectly happy to tell someone to stop talking bollocks (or using the ignore option) we keep the level much higher than fb.

i don't particularly "want" a dislike/disagree button, i think it wouldn't be a bad thing, and my interjection in the debate was more because gkrama was being slagged on and i disagreed with what was being said to him. i still strongly disagree with the idea that give that button and people will just dislike and not comment, and i don't understand the several objections of "this isn't a blog", as if a blogger doesn't want comments on their site. that being said, i do see the sense in the fear of "tit for tat" dislikes, or discouraging people from commenting in future if they get a swathe of dislikes, or drowning out dissenting views etc. so i think on balance not going with it is the right idea. given Abhas' comments that such a system would need building/implementing from scratch, i certainly agree with you that there are better things for admins to spend their time on.

at least the reasons being given now are better, than what gkrama was told which was pretty much "no; because; and we don't want to listen."

So you agree with me, you're just being obstinate because, Blocker. Gotcha. I wasn't talking about "liking" the videos on YouTube, I was talking about their comment system, which is what I assumed you were referring to, this being a discussion on a comment system not videos.

Bloggers want comments, correct. Generally the upvote/downvote system is user-moderation of comments so "RON PAUL 2012!" stuff gets voted down (and removed, eventually) by user-generation which removes the need to have administrators monitoring the content. Since PlanetCricket has a great selected-user based moderation system which is effective in a forum setting where you want everyone to be heard, however batshit insane at times, there's no need to introduce a button which does exactly the same function as a regular user-group does by forming sentences and reporting posts that offend or mention cake too much.

A "downvote" or similar system will only enforce the negative, create factions of people who target specific users and in a creative environment where art and graphics for games are involved, create conflict and stymie creativity among new users. There's already about 8 - 10 people in certain forums that will only "thank" specific users and not anyone else, for example. Ross gets "thanked" because, he's Ross. Thats a positive impact of a "thanks" button... but the equal and opposite reaction would occur for other users, especially younger ones. Not much fun for them.

You only need to look at social media for proof of why a downvote system does not fit the ethos or encourage group-based discussion. The three biggest social networks have no function to enforce the negative but plenty to encourage the positive.

Alternate views to the majority create discussion, a LOT of discussion. There's no further proof required than the last few pages where the minority have had plenty of airtime and the majority have coherently explained their logical position. Rather than everyone receiving downvotes and upvotes like we're in kindergarten and it's a popularity contest.

This is better.

EDIT:

Also I love the new mobile view... works perfectly on Android. Wonderful.

Last edited:
If it's not much trouble, can this be repharsed :release: ?

I was about to use this, but then decided against it since the "Date" part isn't 100% true.

^Yeah if possible can it be in this format. ":signboard|There is no release date or price yet!:" and make it custom so anything we want on the board like ":signboard|Kohli is the best!:"

:signboard|that's unnecessary, that's dull:

So you agree with me, you're just being obstinate because, Blocker. Gotcha. I wasn't talking about "liking" the videos on YouTube, I was talking about their comment system, which is what I assumed you were referring to, this being a discussion on a comment system not videos.

Bloggers want comments, correct. Generally the upvote/downvote system is user-moderation of comments so "RON PAUL 2012!" stuff gets voted down (and removed, eventually) by user-generation which removes the need to have administrators monitoring the content. Since PlanetCricket has a great selected-user based moderation system which is effective in a forum setting where you want everyone to be heard, however batshit insane at times, there's no need to introduce a button which does exactly the same function as a regular user-group does by forming sentences and reporting posts that offend or mention cake too much.

A "downvote" or similar system will only enforce the negative, create factions of people who target specific users and in a creative environment where art and graphics for games are involved, create conflict and stymie creativity among new users. There's already about 8 - 10 people in certain forums that will only "thank" specific users and not anyone else, for example. Ross gets "thanked" because, he's Ross. Thats a positive impact of a "thanks" button... but the equal and opposite reaction would occur for other users, especially younger ones. Not much fun for them.

You only need to look at social media for proof of why a downvote system does not fit the ethos or encourage group-based discussion. The three biggest social networks have no function to enforce the negative but plenty to encourage the positive.

Alternate views to the majority create discussion, a LOT of discussion. There's no further proof required than the last few pages where the minority have had plenty of airtime and the majority have coherently explained their logical position. Rather than everyone receiving downvotes and upvotes like we're in kindergarten and it's a popularity contest.

This is better.

EDIT:

Also I love the new mobile view... works perfectly on Android. Wonderful.

I agree with this post. The best forums allow for the discussion of alternate points and the mockery of dumb opinions (including RON PAUL BITCOIN END THE FED shit), but also allow for multiple opinions to be expressed with all points given clarity. I know I've used the reddit example far too much, but you go on many subreddits and find that lots of coherent, clear and all-round good posts are voted down because they disagreed with the ideas expressed while the above libertarian crap is unironically voted up because it agrees with the hive mind. This is generally because of the politics of reddit being... strange (it leans very libertarian and very MRA...) but it would happen anywhere. TBH, I don't like the "thanks" system much (I use it to replace empty-quoting which is my usual way of saying that I like a post) but its better than a "dislike" system.

The thumbs up/thumbs down system may theoretically work well on a broadly unmoderated community to get rid of awful posts (although youtube comments and the daily mail prove that wrong IMO), it doesn't befit a forum where you have active moderation. Dumb posts should be reported; posts that you don't like because of their position regardless of their content should be appreciated because they prevent a circle-jerk from forming. I mean, the DBC forums at times are unreadable because of the amount of people that seem to want to felliate Ross; having that everywhere would make the thing so bad to read that I'd go away and post on places which are better.

Here's a thing that I'd quite like. Would it be possible to incorporate quote buttons into the topic review section below a reply window? I know that a multi-quote feature exists, but sometimes I go to quote multiple people and forget one, and being able to scroll down and select the post would be easier that going back into the thread and C+Ping a quote from another reply...

Here's a thing that I'd quite like. Would it be possible to incorporate quote buttons into the topic review section below a reply window? I know that a multi-quote feature exists, but sometimes I go to quote multiple people and forget one, and being able to scroll down and select the post would be easier that going back into the thread and C+Ping a quote from another reply..
I've added the Quick Quote button to that section, so find the post, select the text you want to quote and click the button and it will add it to the reply box up the top.

This reply was done using that option, so hopefully it works for everyone.

Can you make it friendly to other mobile devices?
I sometimes access PC on my PSP GO

Ya and i want it for my GBA with the thanks button :p
24050.jpg

24051.jpg

The mobile style works just fine, even the thanks button, on the web browser on the 3DS. If you chose the wrong console then there's not much I can do about it.

We're not planning a change in forum software in the foreseeable future.

Just saw the thanks button in mobile, love it. Thanks Matt.

attachment.php

Went to this thread, got a malware alert. (inpremierleague.com)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 125

Users who are viewing this thread