Review: Anyone else unsatisfied?

@cooks1st100 have you played the game? serious question not sarcastic

No man I haven't and I know a lot of people feel that the bowling experience has improved. To me it looks more simplified and it sure looks great, especially the ball movement through the air and off the pitch, but once again the batting AI lets the game down massively and they are generally all things that were present in the original. I'm sure that someone will pipe up and say you can't comment unless you have played it, but these issues are plain to see from the videos.

Will I play it at some point? Almost definitely, but this time around I refused to get sucked into the hype and personally don't see that much progression, certainly nowhere near as much as I would have expected. Is an AI batsman that can leave a ball outside-off too much to ask for? I've seen so many wickets that have been the result of a batsman walking out to bat and trying to smack the first ball. It's cricket, not Canadian seal season!!

Are you currently playing it? What are your thoughts??

IMO everything can be fixed given enough time and money. To add to @cooks1st100 's point I would give an example of lax or lazy AI running between the wkts. It's frustrating to see AI batsmen take one run less than what's generally on offer. In shorter formats this takes away from immersion big time. This issue was present in DBC 14 and was patched and you finally had AI batsmen running between the wkts aggressively. Yet that improvement is missing in DBC 17. Same with batting where shots like Square & Cover drives somehow went missing. Another example is stats in career mode which was quite decent in DBC 14 but has somehow has gone AWOL in DBC 17. Yet another example is field sets and poor AI field selection. It was a concern in DBC 14 with too many 6-3 and aggressive fields and the issue exists in DBC 17.

I guess @cooks1st100 's point is that Big Ant will need o nail the core gameplay before focusing on bells & whistles. Yes, stadium creator is great but unless the core gameplay is perfected it wouldn't mean much unless the core gameplay concerns and experience is addressed. I believe it will take a good 2 or 3 patches, if not another iteration of the game, to nail down the cricketing experience and I guess there are others who share a similar opinion as well.

You have summed up some of my thoughts well @cricket_online. "Bells and whistles" is exactly what this iteration appears to be about in my opinion. The patches will have to be very good and gameplay focused to change this. I imagine the first patch will be with performance/crashing focused and hopefully the following ones will iron out whatever they can/are willing to do in regards to the gameplay.

You have summed up some of my thoughts well @cricket_online. "Bells and whistles" is exactly what this iteration appears to be about in my opinion. The patches will have to be very good and gameplay focused to change this. I imagine the first patch will be with performance/crashing focused and hopefully the following ones will iron out whatever they can/are willing to do in regards to the gameplay.

On the face of it yes but there is some definite added subtlety in the gameplay, I'm finding it most enjoyable (career notwithstanding) despite the obvious AI and field setting issues. It's a definite improvement on 14. Yes it may be wearing a brand new fur coat but rest assured it also has some nice frilly knickers underneath.

From what I've seen Dave far too many of the issues that were in the previous version remain. The obviously were not a priority and now the game has been released there are so many other things that need to be fixed that these issues will be seen as minor in comparison. I seem to remember the majority wanting gameplay and realism to be the main improvement, instead Big Ant went for looks and appear to have made it more arcadey.

As much as I loved your video of all the wickets, I can't think of one that was the result of the ball beating a defensive shot/block and once again we have the chipped shots/ too attacking from the off issues. I think there is one example of an LBW in another one of your vids, but it is the result of the strangest looking block, where the batsman decides to stick the bat behind his leading leg at some weird angle. This was also prominent in DBC14.

Do bouncers actually do anything in this version,? That's the question that has been irking me the most. I've seen hardly any bowled in the videos that I have seen, which makes me think that there has been no improvement in this area either.

Actually yesterday I got what I think was my first wicket with a bouncer. Which oddly came as a result of trying to overcome AI shortcomings... having bowled 5 dot balls I knew the AI would try and smash the 6th. I bowled a very short effort ball bouncer, the hook came, a top edge and caught on the run at fine leg: a brilliant, pure cricket dismissal and truly brilliant.

Yes the edges / bowleds / lbws off defensive prods are too rare, I'll agree. But there are some huge plusses and I think an ability to get a feeling of a bowling plan that you can't get in DBC14 and never had in any other game.

Some examples: one pitch where it wasn't swinging but cutters were moving a fair bit (and pitch variation is great in this game), I came around the wicket to a left arm tail ender to angle it in to him, bowled a leg cutter to move it back away and him bowled playing round it... out of my seat! On a hard pitch with the batsmen playing back foot I pushed up a fuller out swinger he had a drive and nicked it to 3rd slip... after several flighted balls from the spinner dished up an effort arm ball and slid it through the gate.

I called the game arcadey in my initial review and I was wrong. The presentation looks arcadey: the logo and the way it flashes across the screen, the default (no filter) is way too bright... but it is NOT arcadey. In an arcadey game it doesn't matter if it's a soft pitch and you forgot to move your keeper and slips up - here the edges don't carry. There is lots of depth like that in the game.

The AI could be improved significantly but they have already made some improvements to it, and I hope they still do. I don't think they added "bells and whistles" they clearly tried to find a solution to lack of licenses and console mods, and unfortunately the logo creator hasn't really worked: It's made the making of mods less accessible, the result is hit and miss on console and it appears to have caused a lot of crashes. But surely the ambition should be applauded.

The missing shots have been reintroduced. I think length control in bowling could be less pin point but otherwise I would say everything gameplay wise is a step up.

The AI should be where the focus is on any improvements, beyond actual crash/stability/bugs. The rest of the gameplay is ace.

To me the arcadey side are the obtrusive bowling meter and especially the slowing down for catches mini-game.

So you can actually move your slips/keeper back or forward? That's something I had missed and is a good addition. How does the AI react to leaving gaps in a field now or is it the same as before??

What do you think is so bad it can't be fixed?

The bowling mechanic is a step backwards I think. It baffles me that the right stick does not control the length which in turn removes a complicated use of button of trigger. The bowling indicators are in the wrong place where in 14 I was still able to be immersed in the bowling while seeing what I was doing now I'm just watching a circle fill up and seeing what the batsman do. Watching a circle fill up is much more confusing at first than having the geometry lessons from 14.

I only batted briefly but I was honestly disappointed by that too.

I say a patch won't fix this game based off RLL3 where one of the biggest complaints of the game was hard coded which meant no fix. I'm torn because I've only played 2 hours which puts me at the possibility of a refund but I haven't played enough to see if I can get used to it and it's better than my first impression. I would assume the bowling mechanic is hard coded and can't be fixed.

The bowling mechanic is a step backwards I think. It baffles me that the right stick does not control the length which in turn removes a complicated use of button of trigger. The bowling indicators are in the wrong place where in 14 I was still able to be immersed in the bowling while seeing what I was doing now I'm just watching a circle fill up and seeing what the batsman do. Watching a circle fill up is much more confusing at first than having the geometry lessons from 14.

I only batted briefly but I was honestly disappointed by that too.

I say a patch won't fix this game based off RLL3 where one of the biggest complaints of the game was hard coded which meant no fix. I'm torn because I've only played 2 hours which puts me at the possibility of a refund but I haven't played enough to see if I can get used to it and it's better than my first impression. I would assume the bowling mechanic is hard coded and can't be fixed.

I say give it a chance coz you will get patches and there's always @francobaldo1

No man I haven't and I know a lot of people feel that the bowling experience has improved. To me it looks more simplified and it sure looks great, especially the ball movement through the air and off the pitch, but once again the batting AI lets the game down massively and they are generally all things that were present in the original. I'm sure that someone will pipe up and say you can't comment unless you have played it, but these issues are plain to see from the videos.

Will I play it at some point? Almost definitely, but this time around I refused to get sucked into the hype and personally don't see that much progression, certainly nowhere near as much as I would have expected. Is an AI batsman that can leave a ball outside-off too much to ask for? I've seen so many wickets that have been the result of a batsman walking out to bat and trying to smack the first ball. It's cricket, not Canadian seal season!!

Are you currently playing it? What are your thoughts??

Man as much as you hate to hear it, videos dont capture the game at all more so from a bowling point of view, not even the latest ones from pc let alone the console ones that are yet to receive the patch, even when im making the pc vids i have to cut the juicy parts of setting up and stuff to keep the vid short. AI has never before played realistically in any other cricket game to the extent as in dbc17 . There is room for improvement especially fielding department some decision making process, UI clunk but it will happen.

a few im linking from gameplay thread by wealey,ankit, spoobir, myself

img_4984-jpg.180132

my batting vid

Again none of this still will capture the feel of them happening in game.
My review of the game
MY DBC 17 PC Impressions and Review :: Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussions

Pitch matters a lot in this game whether you are bowling or batting.On a crumbly heavy cracked pitch not only will you be able to restrict SA in a t20 for 105 but you will again struggle like hell to get there or get yourself bundled out. ON a dry pitch both of you will be chasing the ball everywhere. The balance between bat and ball is really good.
Its a sum of parts thing, and you know it will improve with fielding yet to be improved.
Its not perfect, console version definitely needs the patches from PC, pc version still has a lot of room to improve, but the core is solid and worth the wait for improvement.

Its not my job to convince you otherwise on your opinion, but having played the game on PC, i respectfully disagree on your opinion on calling it arcadey or bells and whistles game.

Funny how things are subjective. I vastly prefer the bowling meters for DBC17 and think they are unobtrusive.

On a big screen certainly I can view them and the bowler happily. I believe they can be removed too.

The length thing is a slight concern to me. I can imagine it affecting human v human (on or offline) more, but vs AI I have found it makes little to no difference. It was a nice feeling mechanic in 14 I agree, but overall the bowling experience in 17 is a step up.for me: just the feeling of having to take into account the pitch, of the new ball being genuinely effective, and the fact of edges meaning you do have to consider your field placings, this elevates the experience hugely for me.

Users who are viewing this thread