Arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok i've noticed in a lot of threads Indian fans are quite persistant with their 'arrogant' views of the Australian team. Ill compile a list of Aussie players and put them into groups whether i think their arrogant or not.

Ill bold the ones who i believe seem arrogant, and ill put the players who are on the fringe in Italics
ODI/Test
Hayden -
Jaques
Hopes
Rodgers
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Symonds
Gilchrist
Hogg
Lee
Johnson
Bracken
Clark
Tait

4/15

Sehwag
Jaffer
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dravid
Laxman
Gambhir
Rohit Sharma
Yuvraj Singh
Dhoni
Kumble
Uthappa
Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Sreesanth

Ishant Sharma

5/16

Last edited:
Lets not start a flame war in this thread as a pre warning.

Hayden is without a doubt arrogant. He always says in the press how easily Australia will always destroy teams. He said a lot in the papers prior to the 2005 Ashes series, which ended up back firing.

Pathan doesn't seem to be arrogant. He just has a lot of confidence.

Hogg is arrogant? I never knew.

Ishant Sharma is arrogant? Based on one game? Wow.

Harbhajan and Sreesanth are arrogant and that's why you'll find even the Indian support for them is very iffy. We only get behind them when you try to mix around facts and paint them as evil.

It's funny that you said you wouldn't include our Test team and then went ahead and included Ganguly. Probably because you realized that Dravid and Kumble are probably two of the finest gentlemen to have played the game.

Pathan doesn't seem to be arrogant. He just has a lot of confidence.
Precisely. I think he just thinks Pathan is arrogant because he's had a chat with the Aussies while batting, a few times. How can a man who is not even a certainty in the team possibly be arrogant?

If you have ever heard Pathan talk or read interviews of him, you will realize that he is as humble as they make them.

And you missed one. Rohit Sharma is supposed to be quite an arrogant fellow. Manoj Tiwary is also another one who is supposed to have an arrogant streak. Of course, facts don't matter.

Last edited:
Hogg is arrogant? I never knew.

Ishant Sharma is arrogant? Based on one game? Wow.

Harbhajan and Sreesanth are arrogant and that's why you'll find even the Indian support for them is very iffy. We only get behind them when you try to mix around facts and paint them as evil.

It's funny that you said you wouldn't include our Test team and then went ahead and included Ganguly. Probably because you realized that Dravid and Kumble are probably two of the finest gentlemen to have played the game.

Precisely. I think he just thinks Pathan is arrogant because he's had a chat with the Aussies while batting, a few times. How can a man who is not even a certainty in the team possibly be arrogant?

If you have ever heard Pathan talk or read interviews of him, you will realize that he is as humble as they make them.

And you missed one. Rohit Sharma is supposed to be quite an arrogant fellow. Manoj Tiwary is also another one who is supposed to have an arrogant streak. Of course, facts don't matter.

Ishant is very arrogant for a 19 year old. Just by how he acts, he thinks the king. Its only early days.

And sorry i got Pathan mixed up with the other Sharma, sorry, not the best with names :p

And about Hogg, i am trying to be unbiased, so im going by his onfield antics earlier on in the summer.

And if you want me to include your Test team i can. But that means ill have to include that bloke that spits and the Aussie players, i forget his name.

Last edited:
Ishant is very arrogant for a 19 year old. Just by how he acts, he thinks the king. Its only early days.

And sorry i got Pathan mixed up with the other Sharma
He acts like he is king? Could you give me more than one example of this theory? I would like at least 3.

Besides, you are arrogant when you are a youngster just because of the atmosphere and the sheer appetite for the game. Exuberance of youth they call it.

Lol and clark doesn't get called arrogant. Quite fair considering he said "4-0 to us against India and unbeaten the tri-series". Now that ain't oosing with arrogance. By the way Rohit Sharma n Yuvraj Singh are damn arrogant in my opinion. Sharma's dissent is an example of this. As for Ishant i disagree completely but perhaps you can italic him. As for Irfan are you kidding. The bloke has been out of the team for 2 years. Why the hell is he arrogant. To me he's sorta grateful for his performances.

And say we do include the indian test team: only ganguly but you have included him anyway. So to me:
Hayden, Ponting, Hogg, Clark, Johnson and Symonds.
R. Sharma, Yuvraj Singh, H Singh, Sreesanth, Ganguly and perhaps Ishant Sharma.

EDIT: perhaps Johnson as well (forgot to put perhaps)

Last edited:
And about Hogg, i am trying to be unbiased, so im going by his onfield antics earlier on in the summer.
What did Hogg do? Call the Indians *******s? That's hardly arrogant. That's just petty insulting. If Hogg had been arrogant before the Test series, I can assure you we'd remember it. After, he was expected to be murdered by our batsmen on all counts.

If you were truly unbiased you would bold Symonds' name. Symonds always has something to say. Even if he claims that he had complimented Ishant on getting him out, wasn't he also the one who had said, "the field is nowhere to get friendly with the opponent"?

What did Hogg do? Call the Indians *******s? That's hardly arrogant. That's just petty insulting. If Hogg had been arrogant before the Test series, I can assure you we'd remember it. After, he was expected to be murdered by our batsmen on all counts.

If you were truly unbiased you would bold Symonds' name. Symonds always has something to say. Even if he claims that he had complimented Ishant on getting him out, wasn't he also the one who had said, "the field is nowhere to get friendly with the opponent"?

Settle, cricket isnt my life you know. I dont know everything. So okay ill get rid of Hogg.

List updated

EDIT: So are all contact sportsmans arrogant, since they cant exactly be friendly with the opponent?

Last edited:
Anyway, some people are arrogant without saying it. Quietly confident. And more importantly, confidence helps the team. If you think ur gonna lose, than you probably will. Good teams always have the 'mental edge'

um its 6/16 for India cause Lax, Kumble and Dravid have been gentlemen of the game. Also, Jaffer is hardly arrogant. For Australia i would add Chris Rogers as non-arrogant as well. So its 4/15 at the moment.

Besides, you are arrogant when you are a youngster just because of the atmosphere and the sheer appetite for the game. Exuberance of youth they call it.

Although I agree that Sharma is young and as a 19 year old taking wickets against the best team in the world he has the right to be confident but you have to think what is acceptable. Pointing Andrew Symonds back to the pavilion is going over the top but from India's POV, they hope he can learn to know what is acceptable and channel that energy into his bowling.

Last edited:
um its 6/16 for India cause Lax, Kumble and Dravid have been gentlemen of the game. Also, Jaffer is hardly arrogant. For Australia i would add Chris Rogers as non-arrogant as well. So its 4/15 at the moment.

Cheers buddy, updated

Last edited:
EDIT: So are all contact sportsmans arrogant, since they cant exactly be friendly with the opponent?
Hardly. Basketball is a contact sport and I can assure you that there are basketball players that are not arrogant. Steve Nash, for example.

Although I agree that Sharma is young and as a 19 year old taking wickets against the best team in the world he has the right to be confident but you have to think what is acceptable. Pointing Andrew Symonds back to the pavilion is going over the top but from India's POV, they hope he can learn to know what is acceptable and channel that energy into his bowling.
Of course he's young, energetic and raw. Add to that that we don't know what Symonds said to him at that point or during the duration of the innings/tour. We only tend to recognize things when they reach boiling point but many seem to ignore that like the hour hand doesn't go from 1pm to 2pm on the last second, there is a process involved. How do we know that Sharma wasn't simply being reactionary?

Last edited:
In my opinion. All the arrogant people on the list are people who always stand up for themselves. Well if you back yourself in the appropriate way you shouldn't be considered arrogant. But some people back themselves in the inappropriate way, which can lead to a bad reputation.

I think 90% of players are arrogant. They know they must be good to play at Test/ODI level. It'd be impossible pretty much not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread