Ashes-2023 England VS Australia 16 June-31 July

Let’s be honest though, we’re gonna see dropped catches and fields/bowling plans/selection decisions that look poor in hindsight always in a test defeat, what you never see is a declaration when your best batter is on top of his game with support from the tail and the opposition spinner has just conceded twenty runs.

Whatever way we put it, that declaration will be the talking point of this test for years to come.

Let’s be honest though, we’re gonna see dropped catches and fields/bowling plans/selection decisions that look poor in hindsight always in a test defeat, what you never see is a declaration when your best batter is on top of his game with support from the tail and the opposition spinner has just conceded twenty runs.

Whatever way we put it, that declaration will be the talking point of this test for years to come.
Nailed it.

Yeah, it seemed strange to go from such aggressive fields to having six on the boundary and hope something falls down leg to Bairstow or Pope. Challenge Lyon's patience and dare him try and hit one over the top.

This was my biggest bugbear at the end. I don’t mind Jimmy not getting the ball given he’s been crap in this test and may have not been fully fit but to turn to just a short ball field with two blokes bowling at a max of 130 kph and no other alternative is just poor. At least set an aggressive field and bowl a T20 ball or two.

England lacked penetration in their bowling....how do we line up next test? Thoughts?

Nass meltdown, KP crying lmao xD

England lacked penetration in their bowling....how do we line up next test? Thoughts?

I’d bring in Wood for Jimmy at least. Whether it’s Dawson/Rehan/Jacks or the fourth seamer for Mo depends on how comfortable Root is with some extra bowling workload and how much more Stokes can bowl in the next test.

I don’t think we’re going to see it but I’d obviously love to bring Foakes back for one of the openers and have Stokes open especially if he doesn’t bowl much but this must be the tenth time I’m suggesting it.

Bang on. This is exactly what I mentioned on my WhatsApp cricket group. OFC, Root could have got out next ball and then if you declare, it's fine. England also lost a game by 1 run recently and there was a similar debate about a declaration/follow on and I sided with Stokes'call then but this was a dodgy call and my bigger worry at the time was that it looked like a 400 run track then.

Anyway, bomb of a test. Australia were also lucky with some of the conditions specially England's second innings at 26/0 and then they got a couple of free wickets.

If England have the confidence to play the leg spinner then it's fine but I would personally go for 4 quicks. They badly need an enforcer for the tail and Head. Wood would be my pick.

I’d bring in Wood for Jimmy at least. Whether it’s Dawson/Rehan/Jacks or the fourth seamer for Mo depends on how comfortable Root is with some extra bowling workload and how much more Stokes can bowl in the next test.

I don’t think we’re going to see it but I’d obviously love to bring Foakes back for one of the openers and have Stokes open especially if he doesn’t bowl much but this must be the tenth time I’m suggesting it.

If you drop a fit Anderson in England then might as well ask him to retire mate. I just think he doesn't have enough overs in the legs. He will get better as the series progresses.

I’m shattered watching that I need this gap to recover
Post automatically merged:

Not by England fans as that is the all in method the team have accepted to play

It will happen again. And let’s be fair it took a minor miracle 9th wicket partnership to win

If buts and maybes but an all time great test that pushed Australia to their limit

Bang on. This is exactly what I mentioned on my WhatsApp cricket group. OFC, Root could have got out next ball and then if you declare, it's fine. England also lost a game by 1 run recently and there was a similar debate about a declaration/follow on and I sided with Stokes'call then but this was a dodgy call and my bigger worry at the time was that it looked like a 400 run track then.

Anyway, bomb of a test. Australia were also lucky with some of the conditions specially England's second innings at 26/0 and then they got a couple of free wickets.

If England have the confidence to play the leg spinner then it's fine but I would personally go for 4 quicks. They badly need an enforcer for the tail and Head. Wood would be my pick.

Good to see you back on here.

I believe you mean the Kiwi game where they got Wagner-ed and Southee was smashing it all over the place. They enforced the follow on then despite the pitch flattening out and I remember the Kiwi fans being amused and calling it a bad decision even then. At least then it was against a much worse side in a two test series, this was on day one of a home Ashes on a flat track. If the English side needs such weird decisions to ensure mental clarity of their plan then they need better sports psychologists in the first place.

The worst thing is that you can play Bazball perfectly fine without such decisions. I don’t mind the dances down the ground or the ramps because they have a high reward with the risk. There was absolutely none with that declaration.

If you drop a fit Anderson in England then might as well ask him to retire mate. I just think he doesn't have enough overs in the legs. He will get better as the series progresses.

The break between the second and third tests isn’t much. Realistically I expect him to play only one of the two given that scheduling. If the pitch for the next game is anything like this then Jimmy won’t be of much use there, may as well bring in Wood for that one and have Broad out for Jimmy in the third test if the former is tired.

I’m shattered watching that I need this gap to recover
Post automatically merged:

Not by England fans as that is the all in method the team have accepted to play

It will happen again. And let’s be fair it took a minor miracle 9th wicket partnership to win

If buts and maybes but an all time great test that pushed Australia to their limit

We’ve had @Aislabie be absolutely mind boggled by that declaration already and I don’t think @Dutch liked it either. I’d stake my front yard on r/cricket’s having several England fans who are criticising that too.

It’s what I said before, you’ll always have minor miracles like the tail wagging happening, you’ll never get a declaration like that ever from others. Closest I can think of was Clarke declaring when his team was still trailing and that was to save time for the second innings, this was literally on the first day.

If England are going to do this again then I don’t think the Aussies will mind. I don’t understand why it’s gone to all or none with this declaration thingy, you can have Bazball in other aspects (the unique fields, the aggressive batting, the quirky bowling rotations) without such daft declarations, they don’t really have to be a part of this overall strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread