Ashes Cricket 2009 v1.1 Open Beta 2

Haven't we heard enough on this subject? Remember good things come to those who wait. I am one of them :)

Thats exacty what i don't have. Patience!!! yeah it whould have been ok to wait if i had downloaded the game off the internet but even after buying the game we don't get the fair treatment. if the final patch doesn't work out, then i am asking for refund because i am not spending my money on a same game twice.

Batting is a real nuisance for me. I can't get anywhere near the ball on NORMAL level. On top of that, the bowling is somewhat predictable, 3 balls 4m in length about 2 foot outside off stump, then one on the stumps and a couple of short ones. As soon as I miss a few shots and confidence goes to timid or hesistant it's almost impossible for me to restore them to confident. I know that I'm not as skilled at gaming as some others so it's more likely that reason why I am struggling, but still the timing meter is far too small.

YEE – HAH !! – I made it thru a 20/20 with no freezing – quite smoothly in fact.

Just as a reminder, I have been having terrible problems running Ashes Cricket 2009 since the patches and have found that it hangs quite often.

I appreciate that my system is not ideal, but it easily falls within the minimum spec to run this game:

I have a Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.06 GHz

2 gb RAM

My C drive is 143 gb with 115 gb free

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GPU 512 mb (with original drivers installed)

On Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3)

I have no custom rosters installed

So last night I trialled a 20 overs game – offline, Tournament on Normal

Me - Bowling as Sri Lanka

AI - Batting as England

I seem to have fixed the problem (fingers crossed) of the game freezing frequently when the ball is reaching the boundary or if a catch is taken in the outfield. I did this by modifying the in-game sound options.

I had the in-game crowd sound level cranked right up for max effect – and that is why I think my freezes always happened near the boundary. Would also explain why I was experiencing this freeze more frequently in 20/20 than Test due to there being more 20/20 crowd noise than there is Test crowd noise !!

As the ball neared the boundary the crowd sound reached a crescendo, and it was obviously too much for my processor to cope with and the game would just fall over.

I also now “seem” to be able to play the game much smoother than before. Here is what I had to do to get there :

I have lowered the in game settings to :

Graphics

Resolution right down to 1024 x 768

Graphics on High

Turned Shadow down to Low

Switched off Special Effects

Anti-Aliasing is Off

Crowd is On

Sound

Crowd Sound is at 50%

All other sound options are at 25%

I also re-installed the original drivers that came with my Geforce 8400 512 mb graphics card (thanks to Isura for pointing out that some NVIDIA driver updates actually have a negative impact on the GPU)

In my NVIDIA Control Panel my settings are all default except :

Maximum Pre-rendered Frames = 1

Texture Filtering - Quality = High Performance

Vertical Sync = Force On

I am also running Game Booster software. This is freeware which if you run prior to loading Ashes Cricket 2009 (or any game), will close down all unnecessary background processes that may be running on your PC.

At these settings the game is very playable and although it may not be the best to look at, I am really enjoying playing the game.

My only real remaining issue is (and I don’t know if it is anything to do with my settings) that the game still takes ages to load and the between overs scorecards load very slowly too – but I guess I can live with that if I have to.

D

Last edited:
Dougie1 thanks for your info on 'Game Booster', I had never heard of it.
I downloaded and tried it, it is very good indeed.

Batting is a real nuisance for me. I can't get anywhere near the ball on NORMAL level. On top of that, the bowling is somewhat predictable, 3 balls 4m in length about 2 foot outside off stump, then one on the stumps and a couple of short ones. As soon as I miss a few shots and confidence goes to timid or hesistant it's almost impossible for me to restore them to confident. I know that I'm not as skilled at gaming as some others so it's more likely that reason why I am struggling, but still the timing meter is far too small.

So why don't you play on easy? :)... If codies increases the timing meter, then it will be too easy when you have played it for a while ;).

I am surprised it runs ok :eek:

I got a AMD quad 2.2 ghz
4 gig of ddr2 800mhz corsair xms 2
300 gig HDD 15000rpm sas
2 x his 3870 512mb ddr 4

I can run ashes on max & crossfire seems to work ok but transmission says crossfire not supported, so prob only using 1 x 3870 really

YEE ? HAH !! ? I made it thru a 20/20 with no freezing ? quite smoothly in fact.

Just as a reminder, I have been having terrible problems running Ashes Cricket 2009 since the patches and have found that it hangs quite often.

I appreciate that my system is not ideal, but it easily falls within the minimum spec to run this game:

I have a Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.06 GHz

2 gb RAM

My C drive is 143 gb with 115 gb free

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GPU 512 mb (with original drivers installed)

On Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3)

I have no custom rosters installed

So last night I trialled a 20 overs game ? offline, Tournament on Normal

Me - Bowling as Sri Lanka

AI - Batting as England

I seem to have fixed the problem (fingers crossed) of the game freezing frequently when the ball is reaching the boundary or if a catch is taken in the outfield. I did this by modifying the in-game sound options.

I had the in-game crowd sound level cranked right up for max effect ? and that is why I think my freezes always happened near the boundary. Would also explain why I was experiencing this freeze more frequently in 20/20 than Test due to there being more 20/20 crowd noise than there is Test crowd noise !!

As the ball neared the boundary the crowd sound reached a crescendo, and it was obviously too much for my processor to cope with and the game would just fall over.

I also now ?seem? to be able to play the game much smoother than before. Here is what I had to do to get there :

I have lowered the in game settings to :

Graphics

Resolution right down to 1024 x 768

Graphics on High

Turned Shadow down to Low

Switched off Special Effects

Anti-Aliasing is Off

Crowd is On

Sound

Crowd Sound is at 50%

All other sound options are at 25%

I also re-installed the original drivers that came with my Geforce 8400 512 mb graphics card (thanks to Isura for pointing out that some NVIDIA driver updates actually have a negative impact on the GPU)

In my NVIDIA Control Panel my settings are all default except :

Maximum Pre-rendered Frames = 1

Texture Filtering - Quality = High Performance

Vertical Sync = Force On

I am also running Game Booster software. This is freeware which if you run prior to loading Ashes Cricket 2009 (or any game), will close down all unnecessary background processes that may be running on your PC.

At these settings the game is very playable and although it may not be the best to look at, I am really enjoying playing the game.

My only real remaining issue is (and I don?t know if it is anything to do with my settings) that the game still takes ages to load and the between overs scorecards load very slowly too ? but I guess I can live with that if I have to.

D

I have to admit that I agree. I realize in order to make the game more challenging it has to have some form of difficulty, but top batsmen should not struggle with confidence (even though they have been hit or gets an edge through 3rd slip for four).

I have a problem with catches to the wicketkeeper when I bat (offline mode) against spinners. I would try to sweep or a leg glance, play to soon and then get an edge to the leg side. The wicket keeper would then take a blinder every single time...:facepalm Somehow it does not really seem that realistic to me.

Another thing that also happens when I bat against the spinners is that when the ball is nicked to the keeper (realistically) and is caught behind, the keeper freezes, a fielder runs to the non-striker end and then the game goes on (batsmen not out). This doesn't happen that often, but I have encountered it on numerous times.

While my opinion is that 'normal' is far too easy, some kind of nets mode, where you can adjust the difficulty, is a must for the next game. As for the final patch, 'Legends coaching' must also have an option to adjust the difficulty - for anyone who plays above 'normal', it's useless! With adjustable difficulty, it might make an OK practice mode.

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

any news regarding Open Beta 3???

Open beta 3 will be the final patch, I'm pretty sure of that. :)

Will the stump glitch forcing a no shot found be fixed.

I think the game still very good. Just a little bit easy, to bat especially, and you can pretty much keep AI batsmen strangled at the crease. If they made the timing window much harder, the batting would be improved, or if they made the fields better at the start of an innings.

My verdict for whatever it's worth is that transmission have certainly laid the foundations of a very good game here.

However: -batting is too easy. (just broken King Viv's record with Ponting, can usually score 200 runs/session for loss of 5-6 wickets)
-Edges are too few and new ball doesnt really make much of a difference .
- Other than wind strength, conditions dont make much of a difference. (maybe I just cant notice them)
-I hate getting set batsmen out with outfield catches all the time.
- once it starts reversing & the tail is exposed AI just doesnt score any runs and get out within a few overs.

I guess lowering the human controlled batsmen stats can increase longetivity of the game however bowling seems to be a lottery.

While my opinion is that 'normal' is far too easy, some kind of nets mode, where you can adjust the difficulty, is a must for the next game. As for the final patch, 'Legends coaching' must also have an option to adjust the difficulty - for anyone who plays above 'normal', it's useless! With adjustable difficulty, it might make an OK practice mode.

IMO a little bit more betaing will go along way :)

Well you guys are testing these patches, you should address your issues to the game developers. Everyone is counting on you to get a decent game for the 100% of us who dont have a chance to test !!! Youve already let us down with your playtests of the original game, dont let us down again hey for gods sake.

Well you guys are testing these patches, you should address your issues to the game developers. Everyone is counting on you to get a decent game for the 100% of us who dont have a chance to test !!! Youve already let us down with your playtests of the original game, dont let us down again hey for gods sake.

Looks around the room....sees the potential massacre about to happen.....tip-toes quietly out again........

Users who are viewing this thread