Ashes Cricket 2013 Cancelled

Extremely glad that this crap won't make it onto shelves. I have no sympathy for 505 - basic quality control would have avoided this - it doesn't take releasing it to angry customers to know you have a bad product.

While I wasn't fussed about a refund, happy to have another excuse to plough money into the steam sales.

A bit harsh in my opinion. Ross said that Trickstar was still pressing for a chance to do a patch, maybe they were genuinely mislead into believing that the game was good and so they took a chance to gauge the mood by releasing the PC Steam version without any fanfare before the console editions.

A bit harsh in my opinion. Ross said that Trickstar was still pressing for a chance to do a patch, maybe they were genuinely mislead into believing that the game was good and so they took a chance to gauge the mood by releasing the PC Steam version without any fanfare before the console editions.
how can someone patch this mess? :eek:

This is HUGE!! All hail Don Bradman Cricket!!

Seriously though guys, spare a moments thought for the poor developers at trickstar, this wasn't their fault.In fact, spare a thought for all involved, they just dreamed to big, and unfortunately, it exploded in their faces.

A sad day for cricket gaming

I disagree with this statement significantly. Even if Ashes 2013 were a decent game and all of the planned features were present, it wouldn't offer anything new. What exactly were their brand new features?

1) Complete fielding control, which amounts to actually no control of the players and a field placement editor that is more robust than previous efforts (can place players off the grid) but still was done first back in the 90s.
2) "Line and length bowling" which amounts to still putting down a pitch marker but instead the two axes are chosen individually, rather than simultaneously.
3) Honestly I can't think of a third.

The rest of the advertised features were:

1) 200+ kit items, done before, albeit perhaps not as many, but who really cares anyway?
2) Authentic gameplay, which is highly subjective and previous games + patches gave fairly authentic gameplay.
3) Online play, which has been done in 07, 09 and 10, of which 09 worked.
4) Dynamic weather conditions, but even games way back have had a variety of pitches and weather conditions. They seemed to want to improve upon this but it was hardly revolutionary.
5) THE ASHES, featuring "the stars of the show", which had been done before of course an the licence actually made things very restrictive.

Basically their "big dream" was to use an engine that could compile on almost every platform under the Sun. That is the big strength of Unity, but on the other hand it means the game must cater for the lowest common denominator. In the end, we have a game that looks like a mobile game, is no doubt setup to run on mobiles, yet was only to be released for PC and consoles. Another obvious issue is that Unity for PS3 is either in or just out of beta, and hence very unstable.

I dare say that if Trickster wants another shot at a cricket game, they should stick to mobile games, since they tweaked up majorly on this console version and Bradman is about to fill that gaping hole nicely.

There is absolutely no question that they'd have been aware of the state of the game before releasing it, hence why no-one on here has sympathy for them.

this whole event of delaying the game release and then developer (Trickstar people) went missing from social websites and now not even half cooked game release ..this all sounds to me as "FRAUD".. I read some where from Mike Fegan FB profile that he has left Trickstar ?

what happened in last 1.5 year of game production only GOD knows.

But all well that ends well..people getting refund and producer stopping further selling of this crap..

BIG ANT : PLEASE for god sake, release DBC14 now ?

You don't sell people shit with a vague hope that it might be fixable at some point in the future. AC13 does not get basics of cricket right, 505 should not have allowed it to get this far along the path to release - considering you cannot play it for any length of time without encountering horrible bugs, it was not fit for sale.

Trickstar might have delivered a bad game, but 505 were the gatekeepers - they were either ignorant or negligent in letting it be sold with their name on it. The fact they couldn't assemble a trailer and didn't announce the game's release formally means they must have known prior to release that they had a bad product on their hands.

I believe that it's only because we as a community managed so much traction in pushing the word out there about how awful the game is that they are pulling it and cancelling the console/DVD release.

I believe that it's only because we as a community managed so much traction in pushing the word out there about how awful the game is that they are pulling it and cancelling the console/DVD release.

A round of applause to the guys from PC!:clap:clap:clap

You don't sell people shit with a vague hope that it might be fixable at some point in the future. AC13 does not get basics of cricket right, 505 should not have allowed it to get this far along the path to release - considering you cannot play it for any length of time without encountering horrible bugs, it was not fit for sale.

Trickstar might have delivered a bad game, but 505 were the gatekeepers - they were either ignorant or negligent in letting it be sold with their name on it. The fact they couldn't assemble a trailer and didn't announce the game's release formally means they must have known prior to release that they had a bad product on their hands.

yeah..Planet Cricket admins and followers deserve a pat on the back for forcing 505 games to stop further selling and an apology.

A letter to the ECB may have helped as well. Buy you can't over the overlook their gesture of a full refund either. As barmyarmy had said, they may have simply been trying to cut their losses but in the end took the "brave decision".

It is great to see that they had guts to apologize publicly... similar to what Apple did after the Apple maps fiasco.

Spot on Matt. And such a stupid, self-serving statement "couldn?t meet the quality benchmarks of either us, our licensors or our customers. 505 Games? main priority right now is to protect the Ashes name and that of the ECB and Cricket Australia" - so why release it initially? They didn't give a toss. It's only because it didn't meet the quality benchmarks of the gamers, couldn;t even get the bloody basic rules of cricket right, that it was such an utter skidmark on the pants of cricket that it had to be removed.
the statement is almost as insulting as the game.

Users who are viewing this thread