Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Will there be more content than the last Ashes game? The lack of content really hurt the longevity - I got bored as soon as the Ashes were done with.

1iram1

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
This needs to be released on the PS store/Steam/Marketplace. I haven't bought a physical copy of a game for nearly a year now.

Oh, and you guys should think of a North America release as well.

Last edited:

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Will there be more content than the last Ashes game? The lack of content really hurt the longevity - I got bored as soon as the Ashes were done with.

You mean in terms of the licensed content? Or do you mean game-modes , features etc?

coolz_hari

International Coach
I liked Ashes cricket 09. Even now we play often. As far as editing is concerned it was tough for modders .EA cricket survived and still surviving because of patches .we wish to see official kit editor and face editor.
My question is What are the major developments that we can expect in Ashes 13 from ashes 09 ?

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
As far as editing is concerned it was tough for modders .EA cricket survived and still surviving because of patches .we wish to see official kit editor and face editor.

Gotta disagree with you on a couple of points there. Firstly, Cricket 07 survives because of the extended gameplay features like tours and the fairly extensive stats and personalisation options. Coupled with the fact it's very low on graphics (read: cheap looking) game that runs easily on lower-spec systems, that's more of a reason why it survives... it's still compelling as the varied game modes that are built into it prove. The ease of modding it simply comes from the fact it's old enough to have been hacked enough over time!

In regards to modding, it's unrealistic for a game developer to include easy-to-hack options into a final build because, basically, modding a game is technically a copyright infringement. Developers aren't likely to encourage hacking/modding of a newly released game "in the package" and to be honest, one would expect that the game "out of the box" wouldn't need any modding at all and just be a great game.

That being said, some kind of personalization/face editor/kit editor built into the game (like a Create-A-Wrestler in the WWE Games for example) is prolly more along the lines of what you're asking for I think, which while it would prolly be possible, I think we'd all prefer the nailed a great cricket game first and made it "look pretty" second. I (and many others I'm sure) will be first in line to make kits and bats and other nifty lookin' elements once it's up and running, realistically, the developers know it's going to happen... so teams having the right kits or the right names is really less important than a really great cricket SIM with loads of options, career/tour mode and all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I've said a few times that including kits editors etc in the game like PES does is only going to increase longevity,

coolz_hari

International Coach
Gotta disagree with you on a couple of points there. Firstly, Cricket 07 survives because of the extended gameplay features like tours and the fairly extensive stats and personalisation options. Coupled with the fact it's very low on graphics (read: cheap looking) game that runs easily on lower-spec systems, that's more of a reason why it survives... it's still compelling as the varied game modes that are built into it prove. The ease of modding it simply comes from the fact it's old enough to have been hacked enough over time!

In regards to modding, it's unrealistic for a game developer to include easy-to-hack options into a final build because, basically, modding a game is technically a copyright infringement. Developers aren't likely to encourage hacking/modding of a newly released game "in the package" and to be honest, one would expect that the game "out of the box" wouldn't need any modding at all and just be a great game.

That being said, some kind of personalization/face editor/kit editor built into the game (like a Create-A-Wrestler in the WWE Games for example) is prolly more along the lines of what you're asking for I think, which while it would prolly be possible, I think we'd all prefer the nailed a great cricket game first and made it "look pretty" second. I (and many others I'm sure) will be first in line to make kits and bats and other nifty lookin' elements once it's up and running, realistically, the developers know it's going to happen... so teams having the right kits or the right names is really less important than a really great cricket SIM with loads of options, career/tour mode and all the bells and whistles.

TBH Graphics ,sounds ,other elements are better in ashes 09 than cricket 07. Only PC patch makers made cricket 07 a big hit by making AI Editors , every possible editor except commentary editor .So,cricket 07 became better. As Barmyarmy mentioned before these editors will surely increase the longevity of the game .and in places like in india also Genuine original dvd sales go up if they give one code for each dvd and only genuine dvd users get updates and these editors officially.

savvart

Associate Cricketer
-- Will there be a greater variety of Bowling Actions?

The last game had the same action for just about everyone.

-- Will the slips catching be more realistic?

-- Will the bounce of the ball off the pitch be addressed?

-- Will we finally see a 'Career' mode or 'Franchise' mode?

-- Will the batting AI be more realistic and not hit every second ball out of the stadium? In the shorter forms of the game that is.

-- Will the 'Catching' mechanism be similar to IC 10?

I actually thought it worked...

-- What camera angles will we have available?

-- Will the stadium sounds be less repetitious?

-- Can we finally save replay's and view replay's over and over?

-- Will we be able to have 'more' stats tracked as we play?

That's it for now. Looking forward to reading some answers to these questions and the developer diaries too... :yes

spooony

Club Captain
Aye: The PC and console versions are built on the same tech. Not to get some people around these parts salivating, but at this stage we're actually leading development on PC...

Ok so it will not be a console running in a emulator on the PC like certain sell outs in the game industry did. Not going to mention any names but think you know about who I am talking about:D

Please make IA for batting better because I have to chase my own score to make it fun and and at least competitive in the current one

D

Dutch

Ok so it will not be a console running in a emulator on the PC like certain sell outs in the game industry did. Not going to mention any names but think you know about who I am talking about:D

Please make IA for batting better because I have to chase my own score to make it fun and and at least competitive in the current one

IA is only in Donkey Kong. I presume you mean AI....

spooony

Club Captain

Actually not if you put the users data in a ini or dat file in the users directory which he can mod till his bleed without actually touching or damaging the games code

IA is only in Donkey Kong. I presume you mean AI....

Sorry Typo there should be AI

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Biggs, EA 2007's longevity is completely down to the modders. Without the gameplay patches their games are absolutely dire.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
The key thing there is that with all the EA games the gameplay configs have been editable by the community. With the 3 Codies ones we've been left fiddling with player ability ratings to try and change gameplay.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I should really have stressed, that even with the patches, their games were still dire :lol

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
OH, for sure guys. I'm not saying the EA games were anything spectacular. What I mean was on an evolutionary game basis, the reason why '07 leads the way in modding is simply because it's been around longer and a less complicated game to fiddle with by modders. C09 while having LESS features is infinitely more complicated to muck around with from a modding side.

I think the smart thing to do would be to build in extended features in-game to things like 'Create-A-Player' with real tweaking options to create your faces in-game and (obviously) more options in-game to create your own kits, rather than outside third party programs, which will eventually pop-up anyway. But having it built into the game from day one would make it more accessible for those that don't visit PlanetCricket or know how to mod games. Therefore; More Sales, Longer Gameplay, Better In-Package Game etc etc...

Releasing the game on PC with external modding tools, which is what that guy was referring to, wouldn't happen, if it did it would be AMAZING... But game programmers wouldn't intentionally release a game with easily hackable stuff included. It's not SIM CRICKET. That would be a unique twist, but I again would rather see a fully polished cricket engine in a slick game, than a gimmicky cricket game with lots of personalisation options. Building a basic sets of customisations for AI, Faces and Kits into the game is obviously the smarter option and what many sports games do. Again, Sidhe's "Rugby Challenge" and WWE's Wrestling Games are two great examples of this done really well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread