Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

ponnu_2012

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
1. Can we expext stunning catches, diving stops, 2 players-chase-pick-and throw?

2. Energetic Keepers?

3. Nice shot animations?

4. Player name in the Kits?

5. Active Umpires?

6. Intelligent running between the wickets? (if chance for a second run, batsmen will run hard for the first run)

7. Better commentary with more scripts?

Chief

Panel of Selectors
1. Can we expext stunning catches, diving stops, 2 players-chase-pick-and throw?

2. Energetic Keepers?

3. Nice shot animations?

4. Player name in the Kits?

5. Active Umpires?

6. Intelligent running between the wickets? (if chance for a second run, batsmen will run hard for the first run)

7. Better commentary with more scripts?

As always, I can't promise ALL of this, but certainly these are all things that are on the to-do list! The reason I can't promise them all is that at the START of production you always set your goals (of which all of these feature), but you can't guarantee that later on down the line you might find that a feature doesn't work, or adversely affects the gameplay, or some other reason.
BTW, when there have been accusations of "lies" that features would be in previous games, only to NOT make it into the game, that's because at the time they were fully expected to be in there... At worst they were hopes that resulted in "under-achievements"...

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
One question I haven't seen asked anywhere is design-wise for the players/umpries are going for a more cartoony-styled look (Ala, the recent codemasters games) or a more realistic look for the faces? Could be just me but I always felt the players looked styalised/cartoony than realistic in C09 and IC10 ...when compared with other sports games.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Could be just me but I always felt the players looked styalised/cartoony than realistic in C09 and IC10 ...when compared with other sports games.

Agreed

Sami Kumar

Zananiya da Cheetah
PAK...
The Boys
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
For me i say bowling actions must be modified.

spooony

Club Captain
OH, for sure guys. I'm not saying the EA games were anything spectacular. What I mean was on an evolutionary game basis, the reason why '07 leads the way in modding is simply because it's been around longer and a less complicated game to fiddle with by modders. C09 while having LESS features is infinitely more complicated to muck around with from a modding side.

I think the smart thing to do would be to build in extended features in-game to things like 'Create-A-Player' with real tweaking options to create your faces in-game and (obviously) more options in-game to create your own kits, rather than outside third party programs, which will eventually pop-up anyway. But having it built into the game from day one would make it more accessible for those that don't visit PlanetCricket or know how to mod games. Therefore; More Sales, Longer Gameplay, Better In-Package Game etc etc...

Releasing the game on PC with external modding tools, which is what that guy was referring to, wouldn't happen, if it did it would be AMAZING... But game programmers wouldn't intentionally release a game with easily hackable stuff included. It's not SIM CRICKET. That would be a unique twist, but I again would rather see a fully polished cricket engine in a slick game, than a gimmicky cricket game with lots of personalisation options. Building a basic sets of customisations for AI, Faces and Kits into the game is obviously the smarter option and what many sports games do. Again, Sidhe's "Rugby Challenge" and WWE's Wrestling Games are two great examples of this done really well.

Maybe cause they have the licenses for the names and are cocks about sharing it with anyone?:D

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Will any other game modes or tours will be included other than ashes.

fk915

Club Cricketer
I have been reading all the long wish lists and dont know if the studio have time, money or resources to implement it ?. I would say to ?Chief? keep it simple. Only three things are in my mind

1) Realistic gameplay that includes not-so-dumb AI,
2) Decent graphics,
3) Contents to keep gamers busy for few months (ASHES is there of course, but I am talking about more contents such as lets call it ?Head Coach? mode,that will be something similar to Manager mode in EA FIFA series where player choose a club team and take it all the way to the end of the season! ).

If Trickstar Games can execute all that well, that will lay a foundation for a Cricket franchise that we all need desperately. As mentioned in this forum Codemaster has nothing to do with the new game so they may not sell rights of Ashes 09 & Ashes 10. But again they are not going to release any cricket game in the near future (I am assuming) specially they are busy with their F1 series so why not let Trickstar use the game mechanics under ofcourse an agreement that will benefit both parties. Like Cricket Revolution that was based of CM previous Brian Lara series ( may be I am wrong on that).

Ofcourse Trickstar knows the real situation and I m sure they can handle it well. Starting a game from scratches is a difficult task specially a cricket game! Good thing Trickstar has experience and dedication of developing a cricket game.

Hopefully they will be able to convince twin sisters (ICC & BCCI) to let Trickstar Games use their licenses (may be free?). A successful game will increase the popularity of Cricket, which will benefit twin sisters in the long run.

Skippos

School Cricketer
The thing I like most about cricket games is sitting down, and feeling like I'm controlling the 'professionals.' Like I'm right there at the game.

And I'm constantly let down by the games, as it just feels like generic crickets with professional names.

Any chance of including some personal touches in the game? Like Pietersen playing that mid wicket flick, Warner's switch hit. Even small things, like in either '09/'10 there were some 'bowling action styles' - one of which was slinging, yet Malinga didn't have the slinging action. Any chance of seeing some authentic bowling actions (I'm aware it'd be very time consuming for minimal reward doing it for all, but some of the really unique ones - Edwards, Malinga, Vettori, Broad, Steyn, Tahir, Ashwin, Ajmal kind of stuff)

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Chief, what would you give IC10 out of 10? What were your 3 biggest gripes with it?

OK: Time to answer this incredibly good question. Overall I still enjoy the game a lot, and maintain that I consider it the best action cricket game made yet. It?s a niche sport, and an even more niche game, and yet the reaction from most quarters was incredibly positive. I appreciate that many of you, the hardcore, wanted even more from it but please understand that when I say that I was delighted with it, that?s not to say I didn?t think it was possible to do even better.
For me, the BAFTA nomination was a vindication of our efforts: to be considered in such a competitive category against some amazing, some well established and some incredibly well-funded games was incredibly humbling for the whole team. I mean, LOOK at them!

bafta.jpg

I?m sure you can appreciate how much that meant to everyone involved in making it... Right? RIGHT? ;)

However, no matter how proud, there were obviously some things that I thought were negatives/gripes: you ask me for 3 main ones, then here you go:

? Lack of manual control over your shots: Although I can pick a direction, my foot position and a choice of defensive, lofted or ?normal? AND how hard I want to hit it, sometimes I want to play a very specific shot and the game doesn?t get what I?m trying to do. Sometimes this is frustrating (for example, I?m aiming for deep square and want to sweep as the ball is quite fullish, but the batsman doesn?t get this and goes for a pull.) Especially when you need to take risks and the batsman plays a safer shot, this is annoying.
o It?s frustrating, but this is a limitation with the batting system. It?s such a delicate balance ? give the use too much control and it gets very difficult, as you have to not only select the right shot, but also the right timing, and getting both right is very hard: it led to much pad-smashing. Can it too much and it becomes too easy and doesn?t feel like you?re fully in control, meaning that even if you DO hit a good shot, you feel like the computer helped you do it, so the feeling of reward is deflated. For me this is the same difference between PES and FIFA, but I know others feel different: personally I?ve always found FIFA clunky and over-easy because of the assistance, whereas PES gives you a much bigger feeling of accomplishment (although it makes the accomplishments rarer!)

? Often it feels like you?re playing ball to ball, but there?s no real sense of how each ball fits together as the match plays out: Although the target run rates etc do appear on the HUD from time to time, it doesn?t help me if I?m batting first: I?m guessing at a target score. Rarely do you feel like each ball is part of a match ? And certainly when it?s a tournament it?s even further dispersed.
o We should have come up with a way to address this. And indeed I?m very hopeful we?ve nailed it in AC13 with some of the decisions we?ve taken.

? Too much reliance on timing ? Although much improved from AC09, too much of the game is reliant on timing for success: Success should be equally about the decisions you make (what shot to play, ball to bowl etc), However, this also relies on making sure the player understands what the correct decisions are, re-enforcing through rewards for the right decisions and punishing the wrong ones. (See Firth?s First Law of Games Design | AppyNation ) It breaks the law. :)
o Again, I think there are ways we can improve this. We?re still tweaking some of the mechanics, particularly with the bowling, to try and fix this. It?s also largely about the feedback loop to the player, which I?m confident we can improve greatly in AC13.

Now, to the other part of your question. I HATE ratings out of ten: they don?t carry context and can be misleading when taken away from the main body of critique, often becoming arbitrary. Example: I once made a game that the review described (and I?m paraphrasing a bit) as ?This is absolutely perfect for those into this sort of game, yet the score was 6.5/10? Another game (A DS title) got a review which gave ?Graphics? 7/10, but in words described it as ?getting the very best visuals possible for a DS game.? :noway

However, if I don?t number it up, you?ll all think I?m ducking the question, right? :yes

So reluctantly I'd say, in the context of cricket games of all time, I give it an 8, which I take to mean: ?The best cricket game I?ve played, but hopefully not the best cricket game I *will* play.?

I await your rebuttals. :)

alioz

Club Cricketer
First of all i am very pleased that there is a new cricket game coming. If you remeber, i am the person who came to your studio for some testing.

I am a person who 90% of his time plays games online. I rarely play offline. For me, most important part is online play. I likedthe way ashes09 played online. However, ic10 was terrible!!! i was not able to complete one match without being disconnected from server (xbox). Everytime you hit a six or four, game got held. It made me stop playing that game.

Who was responsible for that? and how important is online play for you? Reason i ask the second question is becuase most of the people are after AI. but there are people out there who love to play online.

I am based in melbourne as well and would love to help you guys in anyway possible. PM me if you need any testing/ideas. I would give away my own time to see a better cricket game. Thank you

Last edited:

Chief

Panel of Selectors
I am a person who 90% of his time plays games online. I rarely play offline. For me, most important part is online play. I loved the way ic09 played online. However, ic10 was terrible!!! i was not able to complete one match without being disconnected from server (xbox). Everytime you hit a six or four, game got held. It made me stop playing that game.

Who was responsible for that? and how important is online play for you? Thank you.

The first part of your question is the sort of question that, if I knew, I wouldn't be able to answer due to non-disclosure agreements: if it's not public knowledge it's not my place to reveal. However, in this case I can tell you that I genuinely don't know: I know only what I've read on PC about that, and I wouldn't even be able to speculate in a meaningful way.

On the second question, there's some different perspectives to take into account:
As a player, online isn't actually all that important to me personally, as there are very few console games that I actually play online (PES and Red Dead Redemption the only recent ones I can think of, and even those were generally with 3 or 4 of my close friends, and THEN only when there was a reason we couldn't do it in person...)

From a development point of view, being completely honest, it's *hugely* expensive and laborious to code and test, and frankly it's budget I'd MUCH rather be able to spend elsewhere, concentrating on making the best game possible. To add to that frustration we can track how many people actually play the game online, compared to how many buy it, and the figures speak for themselves: it's a very small fraction.

However, and here's the good news for you from what you've said, from a marketing and sales point of view the perception is that it is absolutely crucial: It's a expectation of the age and I can't imagine any scenario where anyone would entertain releasing a game (and definitely a sports game!) without it. People would see its absence as a huge minus if it was not there (and that would include reviews etc), even if what WAS there was a much better experience for its omission.

alioz

Club Cricketer
Thanks.....as long as there is online, i am happy with that.

Users who are viewing this thread