Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Preamble, to help you:

1. This thread is the bludgeoned man.
  2. You are the man swinging the cat.

lol Biggs, blushes, but i like you too. You seem like a man (droid?) who tries too hard to deliver,,never mind the result, but he tries hard. And constantly. That sheer stamina anyone will appreciate :thumbs . To put it in a box and wrap it, you remind me of one Charles Chaplin character in the movie Limelight..at least the first 15 mins of the flick. You see, discussing the topics in which you (seem to) have no idea of, you still are present, putting up one liners, keeping everyone interested. But problem start when someone disagrees with you, your system flops, lights flash, horns blare; however logical or detailed response they put up, dare they go against your commandments. You need to take it easy, old pal. Maybe, for once (or usually), you are the one wrong. See, that simple.
Btw, out of interest, you never thought of taking economics as a subject, and maybe make a career out of it? No? Well, take solace in the fact : New Zealand owes you one. Big time.

Finally, to help you on with your life, here is an old quote of Fakespear: "If people don't laugh at your jokes, take heart in the fact that later they will laugh at you...Job done, anyway".
(ie, Move on)

To put it simply for Day7, many of you will disagree with this but I think it holds some truth; If India was a big enough market for cricket games then EA would be making a cricket game

A statement that makes perfect sense!!!! Infact I was surprised why people keep asking Ross for the release date....its like barking up the wrong tree, since Ross has mentioned time and again that they would see what happens with Ac13 first. Just ask Mike Fegan to confirm the release plans for AC13, and I am pretty sure we would get the most-awaited news from Ross soon (if not immediately)!!:yes

Now you are being na?ve and unrealistic. So you expect AC13 team (505 Games) to lay out their release plans just so that their rival (Big Ant) can get a free shot at getting there first? Or maybe you think DBC14 has no bearing on AC13 plans at all :rolleyes

Just as AC13 release plans are essential for Big Ant before they release their game, same is true for 505 Games with respect to DBC14. They would want to know DBC 14's release plans as well so they can counter it in the best possible way.

If I were working with 505 Games, I would work backwards on my release schedule. Say I want to release AC13 on Nov 15th, I would want around a month's time to work on marketing the game so the disclosure of all the "new features and more" will wait till mid October. This will serve two purposes... 1. Keep my cards close to my chest so my rival couldn't leverage the same, and 2. Disclose the info prior to the release in the most effective way possible, i.e. 4 weeks of promo followed by release.

Before mid October I would only disclose the info like generic screenshots, developer videos, Q&As etc. so my rival doesn't have much insight into the game so either they launch their campaign without any detailed info about AC13 or if my rivals decide to wait for more info, they are forced to release the same time as AC13 during the Ashes series and 505 Games will be much more confident of going against another cricket game during Ashes.

Last edited:
Pirating it or not, the fact remains that even if everyone bought a legitimate copy of the game, India is just not as big a market (when it comes to gaming) as UK or AUS! I have had a personal chat with many retailers and a couple of distributors whom I know, and all of them agreed that India is nowhere (really....nowhere) near those two countries when it comes to gaming, piracy or no piracy!

I disagree to this post, or atleast to the basic idea. I don't think many people have seen an Indian game market without piracy. You've got many young lads with a passion of cricket games, and would've grabbed an original copy if there was no such things called piracy...

But having said that, yes, they should (well, we can only say that now) have done something like what Matt said, and given more importance to game modes.

Anyway this is what I think has happened -
1. Codies released BLC 05 with a good gameplay and a bunch of game modes - it became a big hit;

2. They released the sequel BLC 07, with a weaker AI, and lesser game modes - and that too was a hit;

3. The Codies had become lazy enough by now, and this was reflected in the just two non-Ashes game modes. Gameplay, eventhough improved had some new fatal flaws, which were patched - This too wasn't a financial loss;

4. They patched up the game, added a few game modes and improvements and released it as a completely new game and just on console - justifiably the best game till date;

And then they thought that they were the only ones in the field of Cricket game Making, and was ready to release their next game full of bugs, and even sent that for approval, where it failed. But then Big Ant made it's way to the middle to compete with them, and we know the rest of the story... :yes

To put it simply for Day7, many of you will disagree with this but I think it holds some truth; If India was a big enough market for cricket games then EA would be making a cricket game

Utter nonsense.

How does India not being a good market affect EA's plans for Cricket titles?
India anyway isn't a good market, right? So they should've stuck to the conventional AUS/UK markets, tried to make it big there perhaps especially with the licences they had.
You get hold of an Ashes licence, make the ENG, AUS, SA, NZ teams licensed, include just the ENG/AUS domestic tournaments, get in non-subcontinent commentators, and then expect the subcontinent to make the game viable? It certainly doesn't work that way mate.

I would have been had I said Mike Fegan would give away that info right away.....or maybe you read something else in my post :rolleyes

Nope, it's based on your expectation it's ok to ask AC13 team/505 Games' about their release plans to help out Big Ant with theirs'.

Nope, it's based on your expectation it's ok to ask AC13 team/505 Games' about their release plans to help out Big Ant with theirs'.

Well there is nothing naive or unrealistic in asking AC13 team/ 505 Games about their release plans.....whether it helps.... Oh well....why bother!!!:cheers

Well there is nothing naive or unrealistic in asking AC13 team/ 505 Games about their release plans.....whether it helps.... Oh well....why bother!!!:cheers

The naivety was reflected in your OP claiming DBC14 release plan depended on AC13's but not considering the fact it's true the other way round as well.

And I won't even go into the irony of asking folks not to ask release plans for DBC14 but to go ahead and do the same with AC13.

Anyways last from my side on it... if you don't see the contradiction/double standard in your OP, so be it.

I can get the game in England, = all I care about

Couldn't careless what other country does or doesn't get it. Your problem

To put it simply for you, it has nothing to do with what I was saying. :spy
I was talking about Apples(at least trying to), you are telling me about Oranges.

You may be right here. But if they take entire South Asia as a single market then they have a very good chance of earning big $$$. Several international book publishers do this, especially with English language fictions/novels.

On the other hand almost all EA Cricket games suck.

Utter nonsense.

How does India not being a good market affect EA's plans for Cricket titles?
India anyway isn't a good market, right? So they should've stuck to the conventional AUS/UK markets, tried to make it big there perhaps especially with the licences they had.
You get hold of an Ashes licence, make the ENG, AUS, SA, NZ teams licensed, include just the ENG/AUS domestic tournaments, get in non-subcontinent commentators, and then expect the subcontinent to make the game viable? It certainly doesn't work that way mate.

You missed my point completely. What I mean is cricket games aren't big enough as a whole anywhere not even AUS/UK (where stuff sells) so with that it means India has no hope of sales but IF it did EA would have a cricket game because India is such a huge country imagine if you converted the sales AUS/ENG have but on india scale. There would be loads of money to be made hence why I used the example of EA as they only make games if they sell a bucket load.

You may be right here. But if they take entire South Asia as a single market then they have a very good chance of earning big $$$. Several international book publishers do this, especially with English language fictions/novels.

On the other hand almost all EA Cricket games suck.

Yeah that could be a possibility but gaming is different I think and they sucked about 6 years ago I'm pretty sure if EA made a cricket game now it wouldn't suck...

Users who are viewing this thread