Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Yeah that could be a possibility but gaming is different I think and they sucked about 6 years ago I'm pretty sure if EA made a cricket game now it wouldn't suck...

I think games would earn more $ and sell more copies then books if EA or any other gaming company adopts this strategy. South Asian countries may appear to be poor but the people actually have very good buying power. Plus look at the population.

The only worry EA & other game developers could have is the piracy. But that is limited to PC & XBOX-360. The PS-3 & the forthcoming PS-4 & XBOX-ONE have BlueRay games, which cannot be pirated (or at least no one has been able to do it). If cricket is developed for next gen consoles & marketed collectively in South Asia I think you would get pretty descent return. But even on current gen when it comes to cricket people buy it [original copies] on PS-3 as it is region unlocked.

Whether EA can make a descent cricket game now can only be answered if they make one.

I think I speak for everybody when I say that we would love India to be a huge part of the gaming market - especially for cricket gaming. Sadly, it has been stating by people in the know that it is quite small... I'm sure the reasons for this are varied (there's a relevant thread I believe about piracy in India). It's just a sad reality that no company (big or small) really sees India as financially successful in comparison to other markets. Especially when we are all aware the potential it holds.

In other news, surprised to see the AC13 thread get some love.

You missed my point completely. What I mean is cricket games aren't big enough as a whole anywhere not even AUS/UK (where stuff sells) so with that it means India has no hope of sales but IF it did EA would have a cricket game because India is such a huge country imagine if you converted the sales AUS/ENG have but on india scale. There would be loads of money to be made hence why I used the example of EA as they only make games if they sell a bucket load.

That's a pretty big assumption to make IMO. The size of the country isn't the parameter on which you judge a market. Hardly a handful out of the 1.21bn have a PC (leave aside a gaming rig or a console).
And apart from the lack of potential buyers, there isn't a lot of video game culture here. If kid asks his dad for a cricket video game (for example), he'd simply ask the kid to go get a bat and play under the sun than playing it out virtually on a video game.
Long and short of it, we are many many years away from becoming a decently profitable video game market.

We will be revealing all aspects of the game in early September as soon as we resolve an number of technical issues that have been holding us back on the production side. As soon as we are confident that these are indeed resolved we can move forward and reveal all. As I have stated before I'm afraid you are going to have to be patient with us throughout the month of August to we get to where we want to be with the AC2013 game.

----------

As per my previous post we need the month of August to get the game where we want it to be including all the DLC content and other features. We will then reveal all and you can make an informed judgement from there. Sorry no "leakage" until then :)

Hey Mike....we have been patient throughout August :(!! Atleast let us know when you would be revealing the goodies :cheers
Give us some good news soon.....pleeeeeeeease :wave

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the new fielding system that has been implemented! I think it will be great seeing short players like David Warner diving for the ball but it being out of reach, and then some tall players like Cook snatching high ones in the slips.

Looking forward to seeing the new fielding system that has been implemented! I think it will be great seeing short players like David Warner diving for the ball but it being out of reach, and then some tall players like Cook snatching high ones in the slips.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

...And it'll be incredibly satisfying to see the fielders dropping catches and throwing to miss the stumps resulting in overthrows (at random) :rolleyes

Yeah that could be a possibility but gaming is different I think and they sucked about 6 years ago I'm pretty sure if EA made a cricket game now it wouldn't suck...

I don't want to go around in more circles with "EA Cricket" game debate that rises from the ashes (pun intended) but EA's 07 game was pretty decent for the time, it's a POS now no matter who Frankenstein's a mod for it, but it was decent back then. Here's the thing; It was ONLY decent because of the other cricket games it had made and they had a little bit of know-how in what they were doing. When you look at a title like Ashes09 it was built on the experience of making other cricket games - now, yes, quite different to the other titles, but had little hangovers from previous games. Then in IC10 they were able to improve many features that, had they done a PC version, would've been widely modded into something resembling a decent game today... the online would still have been broken, but whatever.

What I'm getting at is EA 'making a cricket game today' would have exactly the same problems the Trickstar team are having now, which are most likely problems the BigAnt guys had a year (or more) ago working on their title. Building a cricket game out of NO existing code is incredibly challenging as Trickstar are prolly finding out a bit late in the piece. It's a complicated game to understand, let alone replicate in a computer game. EA making a game today would face the same challenges that a BigAnt or a Trickstar face, just multiplied by the fact they would be pouring more money into it than both studios combined.

The cost vs. investment for an EA to come up with their own product to be on par with their other titles in 2013 would be, I imagine, not cost-effective for how small the cricket-game audience is and, quite frankly, we're actually better off with smaller developers like Trickstar and BigAnt who might not have "photo realism" or whatever flashy terms the latest EA offerings have, but the games come with a bit more heart, passion and made by people that know the game innately and want us as fans to contribute to help them make the game better.

I couldn't imagine the CEO of EA Sports Game Division popping by to trade fart jokes with some random guy called 79Cricket, could you? That's my point... IF EA ever returned to make a cricket title, they wouldn't be able to call on 3 or 6 or 8 years of cricket game development, code and experience like we have with Trickstar or BigAnt. They wouldn't engage with us on the same 'in the trenches' level with us like Chief, Ross and to a lesser extant Mike has. Say what you like about the products when we finally get our hands on them, but there's many aspects to BOTH games that we as a group have had an effect on, whether it's a small graphic or gameplay concepts and ideas. We as a group have helped shaped little bits of both titles so we're directly invested in them for the first time ever, in being a success or failure. We're a part of it too.

We just would not get that with an EA funded title. Wouldn't happen.

We're better off helping make these little underdogs a BIG success, than lining the pockets of an EA funded title that is beer money for them, compared with FIFA and MADDEN.

Last edited:
EA haven't managed to put out a Basketball game in three years - they aren't a magic potion to delivering good games.

The one thing I hope for is that 505 Games put their sports titles into one developer, not have one company do Rugby and another do Cricket. Sharing engines and codebases is the only way to even get near the quality level of other major sports.

EA haven't managed to put out a Basketball game in three years - they aren't a magic potion to delivering good games.

The one thing I hope for is that 505 Games put their sports titles into one developer, not have one company do Rugby and another do Cricket. Sharing engines and codebases is the only way to even get near the quality level of other major sports.

The main reason for it is existence of a decent existing competition. EA will have to go against NBA2K which by all accounts is better than Madden and at the same level as MLB - The Show. EA had to cancel/shelve their last venture into basketball (EA NBA Live) because of the very same reason, i.e., their product wasn't that good compared to its competitor. Till now EA didn't have such a problem in cricket gaming but hopefully with Big Ant entering the cricket gaming market, and Trickstar/505 Games improving on their previous efforts this wouldn't be the case.

I just like name-dropping you in posts to see if you notice ;)

That's a pretty big assumption to make IMO. The size of the country isn't the parameter on which you judge a market. Hardly a handful out of the 1.21bn have a PC (leave aside a gaming rig or a console).
And apart from the lack of potential buyers, there isn't a lot of video game culture here. If kid asks his dad for a cricket video game (for example), he'd simply ask the kid to go get a bat and play under the sun than playing it out virtually on a video game.
Long and short of it, we are many many years away from becoming a decently profitable video game market.

That was my whole point altogether....India doesn't have that.

----------

I don't want to go around in more circles with "EA Cricket" game debate that rises from the ashes (pun intended) but EA's 07 game was pretty decent for the time, it's a POS now no matter who Frankenstein's a mod for it, but it was decent back then. Here's the thing; It was ONLY decent because of the other cricket games it had made and they had a little bit of know-how in what they were doing. When you look at a title like Ashes09 it was built on the experience of making other cricket games - now, yes, quite different to the other titles, but had little hangovers from previous games. Then in IC10 they were able to improve many features that, had they done a PC version, would've been widely modded into something resembling a decent game today... the online would still have been broken, but whatever.

What I'm getting at is EA 'making a cricket game today' would have exactly the same problems the Trickstar team are having now, which are most likely problems the BigAnt guys had a year (or more) ago working on their title. Building a cricket game out of NO existing code is incredibly challenging as Trickstar are prolly finding out a bit late in the piece. It's a complicated game to understand, let alone replicate in a computer game. EA making a game today would face the same challenges that a BigAnt or a Trickstar face, just multiplied by the fact they would be pouring more money into it than both studios combined.

The cost vs. investment for an EA to come up with their own product to be on par with their other titles in 2013 would be, I imagine, not cost-effective for how small the cricket-game audience is and, quite frankly, we're actually better off with smaller developers like Trickstar and BigAnt who might not have "photo realism" or whatever flashy terms the latest EA offerings have, but the games come with a bit more heart, passion and made by people that know the game innately and want us as fans to contribute to help them make the game better.

I couldn't imagine the CEO of EA Sports Game Division popping by to trade fart jokes with some random guy called 79Cricket, could you? That's my point... IF EA ever returned to make a cricket title, they wouldn't be able to call on 3 or 6 or 8 years of cricket game development, code and experience like we have with Trickstar or BigAnt. They wouldn't engage with us on the same 'in the trenches' level with us like Chief, Ross and to a lesser extant Mike has. Say what you like about the products when we finally get our hands on them, but there's many aspects to BOTH games that we as a group have had an effect on, whether it's a small graphic or gameplay concepts and ideas. We as a group have helped shaped little bits of both titles so we're directly invested in them for the first time ever, in being a success or failure. We're a part of it too.

We just would not get that with an EA funded title. Wouldn't happen.

We're better off helping make these little underdogs a BIG success, than lining the pockets of an EA funded title that is beer money for them, compared with FIFA and MADDEN.

Tbh we don't know what they would do so just as my statement was an assumption I think yours is too. We don't know what route they'd take I was merely basing my assumption off the fact that they don't really deliver bad sports games anymore, so in theory why would they deliver a bad cricket game regardless of all the technicalities. I think with their standard as it is now they would deal with it.

Also I'm not knocking BA or Trickstar, in fact I don't care if EA make a cricket game or not and I am in the same boat I think at LEAST one of the two games we are getting will be good, I was using the EA thing to get a point across really :)

People really have short memories when it comes to EA. Go back 5 years and you have:

Association football: FIFA gets buy with licences but Pro Evo soccer is widely considered to have better gameplay
American football: Madden is at the top of its game but there is competition from the 2k series.
Basketball: The 2k series beats the EA NBA Live series
Hockey: The 2k series beats the EA NHL series
Cricket: ---- until mods save it

And what about now?

Association football: This has actually improved but not much gets added each year, was long due for a big update with next gen. Has overtaken PES.
American football: Gone downhill on the 360/ps3 generation, no more 2k competition and a monopoly on the licence which has led to a lawsuit.
Basketball: Gave up after being destroyed by 2k, hasn't released a game for years despite the almost release of NBA Elite 12.
Hockey: No more competition from 2k but the games have improved a bit but perhaps not as well as it would have if competition remained.
Cricket: Nothing

So before we all go shouting "please make my game and my babies EA" just remember what we're dealing with. And, of course, this is just the sports side of the company. For all other games, how about the huge success Sim City?

Users who are viewing this thread