Ashes Cricket General Discussion

A video would be awesome. Thanks for the updates
Yeah will do my best: sorry for spamming the thread......this pitch, the pitches seems alive...its doing stuff, it feels dangerous, variable, the ball is suddenly upon you, the bounce surprises you.....I know it all sounds a bit lyrical but it is the way it is......its like going to bed with Plain Jane and waking up next to a top model......its effing awesome!

Oh dear.....someone else needs to take over......Lyon is throwing utter handgrenades....I am actually shitting myself ha ha!

20180307173840_1.jpg

Defensive push....gone! Now before anybody thinks that this pitch is doing way too much we have to remember that I am very crap at batting against spin...have no idea what i am doing....so take it with a grain of salt! Lyon's a smug git!
really want to set a target here as unfortunately simming takes the pitch effects away....(is being looked at) and I want to see how the pitch develops....but at the mo this game aint going to four or five days....Okay Dutch knuckle the fack down! Another thing is the field placements...no chopping and changing....an attacking field given the circumstances, stifling the batsman.....its hard man, its hard! its test bleedin' cricket!

20180307174723_1.jpg

do you have quick wear on?
Yes: at the mo. So the effects are somewhat exaggerated but I wanted to test how it would be......I guess in a five day game you don't want it on....just lost Bairstow to a stumping but the glitch one where the batsman wont get back in his crease off a spinner.....a real headfeck!

I will see if I can get a vid up of batting later: you can now actually wait for the ball to pitch to play it.....even at high speeds.....all my shots that are not good or ideal are because I play too early rather than too late: you know that thing where they say that the really good batsman seem to have more time than others.......well now you can prove it!

Just lost Stoneman BTW.....Cummins rearranging his middle and leg furniture into an abstract flower display as Stoneman tries to flick him square on the leg side.....

Is it true for all difficulty levels with default slider/modifier settings? Would be great if that's the case as currently you need to provide the input nearly as soon as the ball leave the bowler's hand in case of a fast bowler.

Yeah will do my best: sorry for spamming the thread......this pitch, the pitches seems alive...its doing stuff, it feels dangerous, variable, the ball is suddenly upon you, the bounce surprises you.....I know it all sounds a bit lyrical but it is the way it is......its like going to bed with Plain Jane and waking up next to a top model......its effing awesome!

This is the sort of spamming we like and may you and other beta folks continue with the spamming :yes

Yes: at the mo. So the effects are somewhat exaggerated but I wanted to test how it would be......I guess in a five day game you don't want it on....just lost Bairstow to a stumping but the glitch one where the batsman wont get back in his crease off a spinner.....a real headfeck!
yeah, it would be better if they fix this issue in the patch. I played a ODI match yesterday and lost 4 wickets because of this glitch.

so patch confirmd for tomrow ?? or when we can expect ??

The only thing confirmed so far is that the patch development is in progress with some beta folks helping with the user testing. Anything else is hearsay and speculation. Ignore anything patch related unless you hear from the Big Ant folks or if it drops on your console.

yeah, it would be better if they fix this issue in the patch. I played a ODI match yesterday and lost 4 wickets because of this glitch.
Yeah its a real controller breaker!!!![DOUBLEPOST=1520442807][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is it true for all difficulty levels with default slider/modifier settings? Would be great if that's the case as currently you need to provide the input nearly as soon as the ball leave the bowler's hand in case of a fast bowler.
I will give this a try later: I have a slightly higher ball speed but not way up there like some of you have. Will post a vid tonight If I get time: first real life!

This.

For this kind of Batting experience, which is play late as the ball pitches,

Shot timing 0 @ easiest level helps
With all other modifier set to 100

But only on pro cam with no HUD .

Only problem is the Unrealistic six hits .
So the demand for a slog hit modifier.

It is something to take up though and to see how far this can be deepened much more and made dynamic, in and out of form etcetera....
Yep and a whole training program to go with it.......so if you are in career mode it takes you season upon season to really home those skills and put them to use....my real question as with all these things in other games how do you stop it becoming a grind?
I thought it might be easiest to do a little mock up to best explain what's in my head. So basically, when you press R3 (or whatever it is that brings up the weaknesses) you get something like the image below for the facing batsman (or the equivalent for a bowler).

So I'm coming from the perspective that the 0-100 skill settings are removed or hidden and each one of the items below (strengths / weaknessses) impacts a player during a match. Either through preference for shots or footwork to more nuanced things like 'Slow starter' meaning the player takes longer to settle (the ingame effect being confidence goes up slower). But 'bats long periods' would mean that when confidence is high is doesn't fluctuate as much (e.g. it's a lot harder to unsettle a batsman). It might be 2% increase in the timing window against spinners or 2% decrease against full pitched bowling.

In terms of the immersive aspect 'Preferences' are revealed one by one throughout a match (maybe you see the top 3 but then as time goes on others are revealed). The form could be something that is relevant if you are playing a series, competition or career mode. So even if you know all the hidden strengths and weaknesses of a player, there would still be variation meaning they temporarily overcome a weakness or a strength is diminished. Low confidence in an early innings meaning that in game they perhaps have a tiny chance of being dismissed early and the Mitchell Starc thing being that perhaps there is a tiny weakness. So in game - confidence could be effected - maybe higher decrease, smaller increase against a bowler in their first spell to that batsman.

Likewise in terms of career mode - you would basically start with a blank profile and some of those strenghts and weaknesses could be automatic (based on how you play) some could be selected by the player. So if you move up from club to county you can add a bonus skill. It might be you struggle against spin so you choose a 'Spin Bowling' preference which, in game, makes facing spin a little easier.

It's not something I'd expect to see added via a patch but embracing the complexity of cricket rather than running from it (not that I'm saying BA is doing that) would take the game to another level.

gQtzKpw.png

Last edited:
So perhaps one of my most satisfying wickets to date: Its the last ten overs of the first day. After the tea interval (Day night match) Ali has taken a couple of quick wickets. The pitch is taking spin and everything he chucks is a handgrenade. Paine and Starc weather the storm and the pitch flattens out again, we are under lights perhaps the pitch is less dry......England are struggling to find a wicket and pin their hopes on the new ball. At 80 overs they take it and Anderson and Broad steam in. But the pitch hasn't quite got that zip that it had at the beginning of the days play. The batsmen use the extra pace to their advantage and boundaries start coming again after a tight period. I look at Starcs weak shot...the cut.....I am thinking to myself okay if I can bowl slightly shorter and offer him a bit of bounce so that he can play on the back foot...not high so he can pull or hook, just some nice little teasers........chug a way at it.....two nicks through a vacant fourth slip.....I bring in a fifth slip to cover the gap between 3rd and gully.......keep bowling back of a length.....Starc goes on the backfoot trying to cut one square.....taken at second slip just above his head! Really really nice....a real captains wicket......because the attributes work, the pitch works......it works!

View attachment 206409

Urgh, sure you were making great pointo but

Where

Are

The

Paragraphs !!

Users who are viewing this thread