Ashes Cricket General Discussion

The first days play: England will rue the opportunity that Cook put down in the slips as Broad sat the ball up tempting Lyon to drive, nicking the second ball of the last over only for Cook to shell a straightforward catch......

20180307143928_1.jpg 20180307143944_1.jpg

So perhaps one of my most satisfying wickets to date: Its the last ten overs of the first day. After the tea interval (Day night match) Ali has taken a couple of quick wickets. The pitch is taking spin and everything he chucks is a handgrenade. Paine and Starc weather the storm and the pitch flattens out again, we are under lights perhaps the pitch is less dry......England are struggling to find a wicket and pin their hopes on the new ball. At 80 overs they take it and Anderson and Broad steam in. But the pitch hasn't quite got that zip that it had at the beginning of the days play. The batsmen use the extra pace to their advantage and boundaries start coming again after a tight period. I look at Starcs weak shot...the cut.....I am thinking to myself okay if I can bowl slightly shorter and offer him a bit of bounce so that he can play on the back foot...not high so he can pull or hook, just some nice little teasers........chug a way at it.....two nicks through a vacant fourth slip.....I bring in a fifth slip to cover the gap between 3rd and gully.......keep bowling back of a length.....Starc goes on the backfoot trying to cut one square.....taken at second slip just above his head! Really really nice....a real captains wicket......because the attributes work, the pitch works......it works!

View attachment 206409
What would have been your approach if his weakness was Special Shots?

So managed to clean the Aussies up: Lyon was an utter limpet, helping Paine get to his century.....he scored 12...four of them to a missed timed pull attempt and four to a thick edge through gulley: Hazlewood came out a smacked a couple and Ali dutifully bowled him with a cracker......speaking of cracks.....looks who's turned up on the second day.....and yes...Starc is targeting it....

20180307152433_1.jpg 20180307152439_1.jpg

20180307153719_1.jpg

Ha ha a special ball..a Wonderbalzz (TM)......perhaps some slower stuff? Paine's weakness was a special shot.....i would much rather see them having more relevant weak things like spin or pace or front foot back foot stuff like that.....
I completely agree. But those aren't even attributes in the game (I know you know that).

Really think a cricket game would benefit more than other sports sims from an immersive RPG style tree of skills and abilities. If you're putting 10-15 hours to finish a single match, as opposed to 10-15 minutes, some greater depth around players and the development of pitch conditions would be great.

I completely agree. But those aren't even attributes in the game (I know you know that).

Really think a cricket game would benefit more than other sports sims from an immersive RPG style tree of skills and abilities. If you're putting 10-15 hours to finish a single match, as opposed to 10-15 minutes, some greater depth around players and the development of pitch conditions would be great.
Yep and a whole training program to go with it.......so if you are in career mode it takes you season upon season to really home those skills and put them to use....my real question as with all these things in other games how do you stop it becoming a grind?

It is something to take up though and to see how far this can be deepened much more and made dynamic, in and out of form etcetera....[DOUBLEPOST=1520434028][/DOUBLEPOST]So the scorecard shows that Anderson and Broad were really only effective with the new ball, Overton and Woakes weren't very effective at all and Ali was the main man on a dusty pitch offering spin as the sessions went on.....

Pitch starting to break up and what's my guard......? ;)

20180307155550_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
so patch confirmd for tomrow ?? or when we can expect ??

So England make it safely without alarms to the first interval but it has been slow-going: Hazlewood and Cummins coming over the wicket to the left handers have been targeting that crack and when they hit it the ball flings off quicker.....Starc has been probing around off stump from the other end .....the runs have come when they have strayed slightly to far off off-stump giving opportunities on the leg-side.....

20180307165912_1.jpg 20180307165959_1.jpg 20180307170013_1.jpg 20180307170037_1.jpg 20180307170559_1.jpg

I will see if I can get a vid up of batting later: you can now actually wait for the ball to pitch to play it.....even at high speeds.....all my shots that are not good or ideal are because I play too early rather than too late: you know that thing where they say that the really good batsman seem to have more time than others.......well now you can prove it!

Just lost Stoneman BTW.....Cummins rearranging his middle and leg furniture into an abstract flower display as Stoneman tries to flick him square on the leg side.....

Nice.....so Smith has decided that Hazlewood and Cummins have had a good go at the crack.....he has now brought Starc on from the other end to target the cracks.......nappy ready? Check!

Of feck....Lyon has come on now and its going miles.......!

Shite.....Cook was the settled batsman....looks to on-drive and nicks through to Paine....

20180307173159_1.jpg

I will see if I can get a vid up of batting later: you can now actually wait for the ball to pitch to play it.....even at high speeds.....all my shots that are not good or ideal are because I play too early rather than too late: you know that thing where they say that the really good batsman seem to have more time than others.......well now you can prove it!

Just lost Stoneman BTW.....Cummins rearranging his middle and leg furniture into an abstract flower display as Stoneman tries to flick him square on the leg side.....
A video would be awesome. Thanks for the updates

Users who are viewing this thread