Ashes Cricket General Discussion

not sure if this will make sense to anyone but i want to bat using broadcast 1 camera, only problem is when i get ready to play a shot its like the field map is showing me hitting in the opposite direction, when they run up to bowl on broadcast 1 i want to direct the shot bottom right on my controller nd have it bottom right on the field map aswell, hope anyone of this has made sense

R2 and Leave is supposed to pad away. When I try this it just seems the same as leave. Am I missing something?

I don't own a console, so no... That's why I was trying to find out more info about the bowling mechanics/length control and whether they were like 14 before I decided to purchase - ideally I would have tried an Academy nets/demo but there isn't one, though I think I've got enough info to make up my mind now.

To me this sort of change from 14 is like if a snooker game changed to just allowing you to hit the ball at 12 different preset speeds rather than having you deliver the cue with the mouse. I prefer games with more tactile controls... Virtual Pool/Shooters Pool > Pool Nation, DBC14 > DBC17 etc. That is just my preference in what I look for in sports games... Best of luck to BA and I wish them every success with this game, I just feel like it's strayed too far from what made me like 14 personally.

Well you are wrong.

The range you could hit in 14 was bigger, but the skill difference was zero. In ashes the range is smaller but the skill factor is high - shit bowlers will not land it on a length all day like in 17, and skilled bowlers have a large range to try and hit from early square to late circle.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Well you are wrong.

The range you could hit in 14 was bigger, but the skill difference was zero. In ashes the range is smaller but the skill factor is high - shit bowlers will not land it on a length all day like in 17, and skilled bowlers have a large range to try and hit from early square to late circle.

Sounds promising - the most frustrating mechanic with all cricket games in the past is the ability to consistently hit line and length. DBC 17 was good in the the line could get quite messy as your thumb got tired, but it was still robotic on the length.

If you can elaborate a little please, so a poorly timed good length could intersect the pitch area of a well timed full length for example? Just not to the extent of DBC 14, or are there pitch boxes that do not over lap so any good length will never cross in to full/short length no matter how poorly timed it is?

Thanks in advance

not sure if this will make sense to anyone but i want to bat using broadcast 1 camera, only problem is when i get ready to play a shot its like the field map is showing me hitting in the opposite direction, when they run up to bowl on broadcast 1 i want to direct the shot bottom right on my controller nd have it bottom right on the field map aswell, hope anyone of this has made sense

Haven't seen this on the fixed cams. I presume to have inverted batting switched on?

Well you are wrong.

Would be nice to see some pitch maps to back this up.

And if these areas are so small for timing difference to have an impact, how's can you miss length by a significant margin even with awful bowlers? I don't know how much it impacts, but if there's still L1/R1 buttons involved, my take from that is that it's not going to be enough.

But without having played, I'd like to see some evidence...

Yes, the skill difference in 14 was minimal, which is why I say it was a good base to work from - not the finished article but would have been great had it been worked on further...
If what you say is true about bowler skill having an increased effect, that's a good thing obviously.

I don't "know what I'm talking about" obviously, because as a PC player there's no way to actually try it out before buying at the hefty price. Like I say, maybe I'll use a Steam refund to in effect get a 2 hour demo if one is not otherwise offered... Not going to just purchase blindly when it seems my biggest gripe with 17 is not fully addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like to know from Blockerdave , can i experience the pitch deterioration and red ball changes right from 1st day to 5th day of a test match. I as a pc player looking forward to that in ashes cricket .

Exactly, it says you can pad away.
I've tried. Doesn't work

Need this for unplayable, super short, slow spin, online legend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today when i started resuming ashes series in PS4 i have encountered heavy fps drop and screen tear any suggestions on this any one faced this issue help me

Is anyone else having lots of bat pad catches?

This is the first test I have played on a dry grassy pitch, and I have Sri Lanka 6/108 . 5 of those being bat pad catches.

I didn't have this many on previous matches, maybe it's because of the pitch conditions?

Exactly, it says you can pad away.
I've tried. Doesn't work

Need this for unplayable, super short, slow spin, online legend.

I'm a bit confused about the leave button as well. I haven't been able to clarify if it's working as intended (with one leave animation for all deliveries) or if padding up/ducking/swaying are in there as well (or should be in but currently aren't working for some reason).

@MattW if you could clarify i'd be very grateful so i don't keep spamming the forum with this question. :)

Pardon me if i asked already .Can we experience pitch deterioration and changes in ball condition (releastically) as the match progress in the game.

Sounds promising - the most frustrating mechanic with all cricket games in the past is the ability to consistently hit line and length. DBC 17 was good in the the line could get quite messy as your thumb got tired, but it was still robotic on the length.

If you can elaborate a little please, so a poorly timed good length could intersect the pitch area of a well timed full length for example? Just not to the extent of DBC 14, or are there pitch boxes that do not over lap so any good length will never cross in to full/short length no matter how poorly timed it is?

Thanks in advance

I don't know exactly if any sectors overlap or the extent of them, but a pitch map in ashes looks more realistic than either 14 or 17.

It's hard to go all Glen McGrath and land the ball on a line and length on demand time after time, but importantly it's less hard to do so with a high skilled bowler than with a less skilled bowler.

One of the things I loved in dbc14 was using bowlers and delivering later to pull the length back and get bounce, and I would be lying to say you can do it to the same extent in ashes, you can't. But you can do it a bit.

And the kicker was in dbc14 it was easy do that with a low rated bowler as with a high rated one. And it had little effect on the outcome - the AI wasn't gonna edge it.

Bowling in ashes is way better...

Users who are viewing this thread