Australia in Bangladesh, April 2011

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Lazy shot for a number 4. Smith will have to work twice as hard for another shot at that position.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't think you can sell the Kiwi fans ANOTHER semi final loss in a World Cup :p Yeah I guess they could be grateful to get there, but they've got 6 WCsemi final losses in their trophy cabinet now. However, NO other full strength team has been beaten by Bangladesh in a series, let alone 4-0 - tough to swallow that kind of humiliation, even with a WC semi final to wash it down...

Well, at least they reach to the semi's. Not like South Africa, who don't only have the talent to reach to the semi's but also to win the world cup but they failed to do so this time around and in the past as well.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Just checked out Hussey's ODI stats on cricinfo, because I suspect the "finisher" tag is a myth.
He has scored 2 hundreds, and 29 fifties batting first.
He has scored just 5 fifties batting second, at a strike rate of 73.

So, as I suspected, this "finisher" tag is a load of rubbish, I mean, with stats like that how many games has he actually won for Australia?
One lucky over in a 20/20 against a spinner who should not even have been bowling (and flying in the face of 40 years of limited overs logic and wisdom built up through experience of seeing spinners flogged in the death overs for 40 years) does not a finisher make.

He seems to be an expert at scampering run a ball not outs in the first innings when we finish at about 5-280.

I don't have a problem with Hussey's batting or place in the team, I just have a problem with people talking up his powers as a "finisher" when it is quite clearly a load of rubbish.

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
Yet another display of Bangladeshi cricket at its very best, not to worry, this should be a easy target. For worlds best all-rounders super team… AUS in trouble :D

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Hussey suprisingly made his 3rd ODI ton today. I knew the fact already, it is just amazing knowing that he had only made two previously. Ponting opening the batting was a funny sight as well, I remember him doing that in India a few years ago.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Just checked out Hussey's ODI stats on cricinfo, because I suspect the "finisher" tag is a myth.

So, as I suspected, this "finisher" tag is a load of rubbish, I mean, with stats like that how many games has he actually won for Australia?
One lucky over in a 20/20 against a spinner who should not even have been bowling (and flying in the face of 40 years of limited overs logic and wisdom built up through experience of seeing spinners flogged in the death overs for 40 years) does not a finisher make.

He seems to be an expert at scampering run a ball not outs in the first innings when we finish at about 5-280.

I don't have a problem with Hussey's batting or place in the team, I just have a problem with people talking up his powers as a "finisher" when it is quite clearly a load of rubbish.
I agree he's not an important player in chases, but I'm not sure that being dependent on a number 5 or 6 for half to a third of the runs in a chase would be in any way a good thing.

Besides, first digs are something like three quarters of his innings batted and he definitely does come to the party at the end of those.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Good to see the Bengals showing some signs of life in this batting dig. Cue collapse now.

Watson's innings last game was good, but records against Bangladesh have never been held in high regard.

War

Chairman of Selectors

Finishing an innings is skill needed both in batting first & batting second my friend. Although you can argue that chasing has more pressure (although not all the time). But no game where AUS where in the position where they where chasing a big score in ODIs (275+) since Hussey came into the ODI team in 2005 (something that doesn't really happen much) - where Hussey
failed to step up. So that probably is the reason why his stats batting 2nd isn't that superb.

Plus in regards to spinners bowling at the death. Although the majority of the time since ODIs death bowling became key post 1987 WC - spinner dont usually dont bowl in the phase. Quality spinners have been known to bowl their ii.e Saqlain, Murali, Vettori, Warne, Harbhajan. Ajaml is a good death bowler the falls into that category - the fact that Hussey spanked him showed how good Hussey is @ chasing when he needed to be in a pressure game. So this a baseless criticism.

----------

Ponting, Hussey and Lee - and hopefully they all decide to retire from ODIs so we can move on with younger blood :yes

Ha all this 'get rid of the old guys & bring in the youth" talk is a bit weird. No way shoud these 3 players (although i wouldnt mind if Ponting retired from ODIs since i think his position can be covered) not be involved for AUS ODIs/T20 in the near future. They are must picks at least up until the end of the 2011/12 AUS home summer.

Users who are viewing this thread