• New Zealand

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Draw/Tie

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1st ODI

Toss: Australia

Australia 236/7 (50 ov) (Hayden 71, Ponting 61,Symonds 53) (Styris 4/40)
New Zealand 226 (48.4 ov) (Marshall 76, Astle 65) (McGrath 4/16)

Result: Australia won by 10 runs

Man of the Match: GD McGrath

Series: Australia leads the 5-ODI series 1-0

2nd ODI - New Zealand vs Australia

22 Feb @ Christchurch

Odds:

New Zealand - 13/8
Australia - 4/9

Bets will be accepted until 01:00 GMT on 22nd February and bets will be settled once the one day match is over. In the case of a drawn match due to the weather or a tie, all bets will be refunded.

what do you guys feel about recent reports of crowd behavior during first odi?
now Bracewell has accused Australians of using it as an excuse to disrupt New Zealand's chase. Australian players earlier reported that fielders were hit by objects thrown from the stands. Hayden was spat on, who later said New Zealand, South Africa and Sydney, where he was abused playing for Queensland and booed during the VB Series, were the worst places to play. I feel it is wrong to treat players in this way even if you don't like them or their country.

I agree, my first thought after reading that article was "you jerk." The players don't have to put up with that kind of crap and it's an Occupational Health & Safety issue too, if some idiot hurls a heavy object at them or if they slip/trip on crowd debris (after all, the fielders are meant to be watching the ball).

As far as Bracewell's comments, just because some players are willing to put up with it, it doesn't mean they have to. Calling it a disruptive strategy is just a weak defence of a fumbled opportunity to beat the Aussies.

I was shocked at the comments made by bracewell...

The crowed was discrasefull, and players should not have to put up with having bottles thrown at them, and being spat on. Any captain in their right mind is going to be protective of his players, and of course consult the umpire over it. If it was just abuse then fair enough. But players were getting hit with objects, and were spat on by people in the crowed.

I'm not sure if he really meant those comments,, maybe he was just upset and venting frustration at the game they lost which they really should of won, if it wasn't for McGraths brilliance.

A lot of us here feel that way because on both occasions when Ponting made an issue out of it, it was on the back on a New Zealand boundary. When Australia were picking up wickets, there were no complaints. Nor were there any when it looked like Australia had the game won. McGrath had plastic beer bottle lids thrown at him, so they weren't exactly chucking bricks. The fuss that was kicked up about it however would have indicated otherwise.

And the Katich incident was brought on by himself, after his outburst to the crowd when he took the catch. If you're going to abuse the crowd -- they're going to abuse you back. So yeah, it didn't look good on Ponting's behalf and the timing itself was extremely convenient.

I applaud Australia's efforts, they're a great side, but I think they also worked that situation to their advantage. Ricky just won't admit it.

Last edited:
Sadistic,, katich and Mcgrah were hit by bottles, bottle caps and peaces of cardboard, M.Hayden was spat on... Ponting did what anyother captain in the world would do, and that is consult the umpires. You cannot justify this kind of behaviour.

Obviously you've misinterpreted what I said Groobz. I'm not trying to justify it, I'm simply trying to explain why John Bracewell has taken the stance he has. It was never enough to bother Ponting until they were in a position to lose the game. I doubt he would have brought the issue up had the game continued the way it was going initially (that being with Australia comfortably on top).

Also, this crowd behaviour is right across the board. Remember the Sinclair incident on the boundary with the one-handed catch late last year? Our guys get it just as bad. It's not acceptable, but it doesn't change the fact that it happens.

I have no problem with a captain bringing up the issue to protect his players -- that's his job -- but if he's doing it to disrupt the game deliberately for his own teams' benefit then that's something else. That's the point I'm making here. Watch the ending again -- if Australia took a wicket everything was fine. It was whenever a boundary was struck that play stopped.

That is why John Bracewell, and a lot of Kiwis here, have made the Ponting comments you're reading in the paper.

yes all australia never throuws things at people racially abuses people,and the aussie pl;ayers don't mind giving a bit of lip.bottle caps.seriously.

Aus 6/313 (50.0)

Hayden 114
Martyn 58
Ponting 53

Mills 2/62

Seems Clarke and Hussey had some freewheeling smacks too.

new zealand would be thinking-"if only hayden had been given out caught behind.we would have one the match and he wouldn't be in form"
aus always seems to get the best of it,

Hayden back in form, great news! He's too good to be left out of the side

Also New Zealand in early trouble, 1/5 with the skipper falling first over from Binga Lee

Users who are viewing this thread