Australia in South Africa Oct-Nov 2011/12

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
How is Steve Smith still in the team? In his past 15 matches he's averaged 12 with the bat and 66 with the ball.

This game will do something for both those averages. I'd say they are not going to try and win now just average pad.

Maybe I'm wrong about Watson's thinking anyway!

Edit: And there he goes. There is something vaguely ridiculous about this chase. Still an Aussie loss will mean a live series going into the final match.

Last edited:

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
A birthday century for Haddin is all that can save us now

----------

off about 60 balls

War

Chairman of Selectors
Finally the selectors see since. Not thrilled with tsotsobe being the only third seamer in the squad. Wanted at least one of mcclaren, de wet, alexander or o'really in the squad.

Now hopefully the selectors don't do something silly and play harris instead of tahir.;)

Batting if ab is fit should be strong enough even with a longhish a tail.

Ye Stefan, How in gods name did Philander make the test squad ahead of McLaren???

Philander is not international quality - much less test quality. His test selection irks "quota" to me, because since they recalled Rudolph a "white player" in place of ...Pietersen a "black player" - they had to balance it out.

Another bowler as you rightfully mentioned is being forgotten is Fridel De Wet. He remains the best pure fast-bowler in S Africa behind Steyn/Morkel and picking him as 3rd seamer would make the S Africa attack far more lethal than Tsotsobe.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Why on earth did we risk Shane Watson for. Pointless for a meaningless ODI series. Smith at least did something with the ball, his batting looked to a painful sight although he wasn't alone it seems with Hussey way below par too. This is where Mitch Marsh could have been handy.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
How is Steve Smith still in the team? In his past 15 matches he's averaged 12 with the bat and 66 with the ball.

I think we need a quick and handy cut and paste feature somewhere so people don't have to post this every match :D

I know the Aussies are only 2 down but to all intents and purposes, these are our last 2 batsmen if Watson isn't up to it. It's hard for them to take too many risks against good quality bowling and no-one to come in after who can actually bat properly in this format.

Warner has already had one life.

Edit: I suppose there is Haddin, I'd forgotten about him but he's reckless and and in rubbish form at present.

I hear you, but if Warner and Huss were actually playing well they should still be able to score around 4.5-5 an over without taking risks. But they were only around 3 or 4 RPO, due to their poor form and good bowling. Fair enough getting their eye in for a couple of overs after 2 quick wickets, but you can't be 2 down after 15-20 overs, chasing 300 and still be scoring at 3.5 an over.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
I think we need a quick and handy cut and paste feature somewhere so people don't have to post this every match :D

I hear you, but if Warner and Huss were actually playing well they should still be able to score around 4.5-5 an over without taking risks. But they were only around 3 or 4 RPO, due to their poor form and good bowling. Fair enough getting their eye in for a couple of overs after 2 quick wickets, but you can't be 2 down after 15-20 overs, chasing 300 and still be scoring at 3.5 an over.

Yes, I agree, the caution on display was grisly. But as was shown by Smith's uselessness at 5, they knew there wasn't much to come.

I know he's gone now but Nielsen's reign as coach has seen a lot of caution while batting in the Australian one day side though. Look at some of the World Cup matches. I assume they know what they are doing, but it's very annoying for a spectator.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Numbers were against them when they were sent into the field, but they made a bit of a mess of it. It wasn't a wicket for the skiddier quick bowlers on either side, but South Africa's talls accounted themselves much better, mostly by being more accurate. Smith was the most effective bowler for Australia but he had four overs up his sleeve. Australia weren't great in the field (though if they're focusing on their catching, then it might be an acceptable tradeoff) and conceded way too many extras. They still might have failed to chase it, but 250-270 would have been a more realistic target.

I don't think you can claim form in this one. Hussey wasn't out of form last week. However, it's not like we should expect to see similar pitches at Kingsmead or in the Test series. If they apply the clich? of focusing on the next game, they might well come back like it never happened.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Numbers were against them when they were sent into the field, but they made a bit of a mess of it. It wasn't a wicket for the skiddier quick bowlers on either side, but South Africa's talls accounted themselves much better, mostly by being more accurate. Smith was the most effective bowler for Australia but he had four overs up his sleeve. Australia weren't great in the field (though if they're focusing on their catching, then it might be an acceptable tradeoff) and conceded way too many extras. They still might have failed to chase it, but 250-270 would have been a more realistic target.

I don't think you can claim form in this one. Hussey wasn't out of form last week. However, it's not like we should expect to see similar pitches at Kingsmead or in the Test series. If they apply the clich? of focusing on the next game, they might well come back like it never happened.

I don't think either of them are out of form. It was a weak display all-round, batting, bowling and fielding.

Num

Club Cricketer
Ye Stefan, How in gods name did Philander make the test squad ahead of McLaren???

Philander is not international quality - much less test quality. His test selection irks "quota" to me, because since they recalled Rudolph a "white player" in place of ...Pietersen a "black player" - they had to balance it out.

Another bowler as you rightfully mentioned is being forgotten is Fridel De Wet. He remains the best pure fast-bowler in S Africa behind Steyn/Morkel and picking him as 3rd seamer would make the S Africa attack far more lethal than Tsotsobe.

I'm not questioning your judgment on Philander, I haven't seen him play, but he does possess an impressive first-class bowling record - 244 wickets at 19.78. Are those statistics a result of bowler-friendly pitches, inept opposition batting line-ups, etc? Just curious.

stefan

International Coach

Only the selectors would know that. Even if they wanted to balance it out I would have rather gone for alexander or o'reilly. Both offer much more then philander with the ball.

Would still prefer de wet and mcclaren but if we have to pick a so called "coloured " player I prefer those 2.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Nice win from SA, first from Kallis an outstanding innings at the start and then brilliant bowling from both Morkel and Steyn.

If I'm honest I'd say, the game was won on the toss.

ferg512

International Coach
I'm not questioning your judgment on Philander, I haven't seen him play, but he does possess an impressive first-class bowling record - 244 wickets at 19.78. Are those statistics a result of bowler-friendly pitches, inept opposition batting line-ups, etc? Just curious.

I think a lot of the SA first class stats can be taken with a grain of salt however as they include both franchise cricket and also the regional matches iirc, which are not very competitive and are arguably worthy of FC status. If I am way off base here can someone correct me.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Why doesn't Brad Haddin open for Australia ? Ponting ,in that role just doesn't fit somehow.If I remember correctly, Haddin opened during the World Cup and did a decent job there too.

Users who are viewing this thread