Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Aus test, SA odi series

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • SA test, Aus odi series

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • SA test, SA odi series

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
They better use Johnson. We waste a spot in our squad so he better get game time. The world cup is not that far away and this is basically our last chance to see who should be in the squad. Yes we have the ICC Trophy but by then it might be too late. The VB series is certainly way too late to be trying players.

aussie1st said:
Yes we have the ICC Trophy but by then it might be too late.
The ICC Trophy is definitely too late for the World Cup. The next one is in 2009, and if Australia are playing in that, things really will have gone wrong.

you never know...Johnson might surprise us and pick up some early wickets if he is given the new-ball. I mean he is a left-armer and i presume he bowls 140+ km/h

He dam well better bowl over 140 km/h. We have too many medium fast bowlers in our squad. Far too many for my likeing. I wouldn't mind him opening the bowling but I can't see it happening. The selectors/Ponting is too scared to make big changes.

the worst situation for Johnson would be having to try and defend a massive total like in NZ. Which could very well happen if Aust win the toss most of the time.
id say he'd rather bowl to the SA top order when they're looking to get their eye in rather than going hell-for-leather chasing a 300+ total!

When Johnson is in our team its definitely best that we bowl first for the reason you stated. But hes going to have to get use to bowling at guys going after him. Possibly bowl yorkers to start with.

Yes but trying to cluster too many yorkers, especially for an inexperienced player, results in extreme overpitching and not finding rhythm. He'll have to listen to advice and also combine this with his natural game if he's going to trouble top order batsman, as that's what got him in the side and if this means registering a few bad performances early on then he'll have to learn from his mistakes and build upon it.

The problem is will he be given the time necessary. Are the selectors willing to let Johnson have a few bad games. The problem with that is he may get use to it and keep bowling crap. If Johnson wants to make the squad for the WC he is going to have to produce some good performances.

i can maybe understand why tait didn't get a shout for this series as he has just come back from injury

however i still think gillespie should of been picked for odi. i would rather have him than Mick Lewis and Mitchell Johnson

the current fast bowlers for australia bracken, lee and clark seem to be in good form and doing fine

however australia should not be too dependant on lee he has played a lot of cricket in the past months

They definitely need to include Gillespie. He adds the experiance and quality bowling that Johnson, Clarke and Lewis lack.

if south africa have a fully fit side which i hope they do then their bowling lineup will be something like this:

Pollock, Ntini, Nel and Langveldt

i think this attack is much better than australias, but australia bowlers will not be lacking match practice whereas Ntini and Nel will

They possibly want Gillespie more for the tests and want him to come back from them without risking him getting hit a bit on the ODI's.

irottev said:
They possibly want Gillespie more for the tests and want him to come back from them without risking him getting hit a bit on the ODI's.

I agree, the ODIs was the whole reason Gillespie went crap in the Ashes. That just destoryed his confidence. His ING form hasn't been great either.

Completely agreed mate. Worst excuse for a selection I've ever heard. Having said that Jaques is actually a decent fielder, he puts in and can be effective, not everyone can be amazing in every aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread