Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

Johnson, you, are, God.

Time for bed.
Hoping to see a humiliating SA scorecard when I wake up.

Siddle has been disappointing was expecting him to bee able to swing the ball in these conditions. Has been short and wide at times.

Well, Kallis will take some stopping now. Time for plan b.

angryangy added 5 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Or just try plan a a lot harder. Massive wicket.

South Africa look like they're batting for time, but there's a while left. Can they resist?

All i've got to say is congratulations to Marcus North for his maiden test century on his debut.

Time for Japes to flay the leather to all parts, give the bowlers a good tonking.

;)

Funny reading some comments a few pages back after Aussies were 3/30 odd.

Anyway, I think North's efforts today should seal Andrew Symonds fate. Possibly even Shane Watson's for a while. But, Hilditch and Ponting seem to have a big mancrush on Symonds, so it would be stupid to say he won't make it back into the Test team. However on all the evidence presented thus far I think it would be stupid to bring him back.

My analysis of North v Symonds:

Batting: North is more reliable and in form. Symonds hit the ball longer and harder and is more intimidating. North is also a leftie to break up Clarke and Haddin.
Advantage: North. Symonds' advantages are great in the shorter forms of the game, but far less important when you are 4/150 (or less). Both his Test centuries have needed help from umpires...

Bowling: Symonds has the advantage of bowling pace and spin, but just because you can bowl both doesn't mean you can do either of them well. His bowling has begun to decline in recent years. North's seems to be improving each year.
Advantage: Even right now IMO. But North will only get better I think as he learns more about spin bowling.

Fielding: Symonds is the ultimate ground fielder (when he has a good knee of course :mad:). North is a slipper.
Advantage: Symonds. But Aussies need a slipper to replace Hayden, so North is valuable.

Teamwork: Symonds is a larrikin and entertaining guy to have around. But he also has the arrogance, smugness and a fishing addiction that possibly negates the positives he brings. I can't comment on North's team presence. He's friends with Mike Hussey - that's about all I know.
Advantage: Even, but need more information. I think I'm being generous to Symonds here, I wouldn't want him in my team, but a few blokes in the Aussie setup really like him.

Future prospects: North is about 4 years younger than Symonds and his game should only improve after exposure to the top level of cricket.
Advantage: North.

From the above analysis, I really can't see why Australia would turn back to Symonds now. For what? His fielding? His 'presence' (the word Ponting and Hilditch like to use about him)? Screw that, I'd rather have a guy I trust at #6 and who's willing to be a true team player.

For mind it is simple when you look at our side.
Clarke - one of the main guys that throws his wicket away
Haddin - another of the main guys that throws his wicket away
Ponting - of late he has been prone to throwing his wicket away

Add Symonds and that is 4 out of the 7 batsmen that are likely to throw their wickets away. Then when you factor in a new opener in Hughes and an out of form Hussey things certainly don't look good for having Symonds at 6. It's just lucky our lower order has been good enough to make up the runs from some of the batters.

Didn't know Johnson could crisp the ball so well. What a 26 from one over.

I'd much rather North than Symonds. North actually has a temperament while Symonds incisive is to counter attack aggressively.

Syl must be happy. Johnson can swing the ball! :D

I'm on the Johnson bandwagon now. He's a freak.

Good start still has a bit to work on to get it going more consistently. Nichols was saying he worked on releasing the ball from a higher position and with a better seam position to get a bit of swing. Once he does get it going consistently he will be a handful as he was still bowling above 140km/h.

Interesting to note that at one of the drinks breaks or lunch break when Johnson was on 30 odd or something on Fox Sports, Mark Waugh said he wouldn't be suprised to see if Johnson scored a couple of test hundreds and batted at 6 or 7 by the end of his career. He went on to fall four runs short...

Australia is well on top though I am not going to be to confident because every time we gained momentum in Australia we ended up loosing it. Really looking foward to tonight's (Sydney time) play.

Users who are viewing this thread