Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

Century for de Villiers, he's played really well. Australia well on top here.

Hard to see South Africa come back from here.

Well made 100 by De Villers at least he wasn't stranded. Johnson took his fraustration out on Ntini with a beautiful inswinger to take the top of off stump.

Bowled him. Johnson 4/25 of 18. Nice to see MJ swinging the ball.I think all the bowlers bowled well. Its a bloody good effort to get SA out for 220.

Telecast issue #348
ground fx are way out of sync

angryangy added 0 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Telecast issue #348
ground fx are way out of sync

Ya that means you need to pay for your channel. :p

Why wouldn't Ponting enforce the follow on with a lead of 250 and the fact they just bowled RSA out for 220?

Last edited:
He hardly ever enforces the follow on. Also doesn't help when you only have 3 front line bowlers who all bowled quite a bit. This also takes away the chance of SA getting a good 2nd inns score then leaving us on this 4-5th day wicket.

Hughes is away in Test cricket :) If Ntini continues to bowl wide he is going to get punished by Hughes.

Still under the constant threat of rain, Australia should have enforced follow on. In 4th innings also same 3 front line bowlers are going to ball so doesn't make any sense to me that they only have 3 front line bowlers.
Just a bit rain for even one or two sessions and I would be back on the issue of follow on anyway.

The broadcast is woeful. The commentary team bar Nicholas and Mbangwa are pretty awful, the replays are shocking, and there are barely any stump mic noises. Got nothing on Channel 9 or Sky.

It was a strong bowling performance from Australia, in my opinion. Hilfenhaus is a massive talent in my opinion, if he can refine his bowling slightly, Siddle is a genuine wicket taker and Johnson is in some great form and is swinging the ball. McDonald also bowled well too - he swung the ball prodigiously and at 125kph is not too slow for Test cricket as a fourth seamer, provided he can score some runs soon. More importantly, Australia offered very few entirely loose deliveries, the main runs came off deliveries which were intended for a plan such as an intended full delivery turning in to a half volley. South Africa look rusty, the pace of the bowlers are down and this affected the potency of dismissing Johnson, Haddin and North.

Come on Morne!!!

Oooohhh, Hughes living very dangerously.

Hughes lucky to get away with that. Its good to see that hes a non walker like all other Aussies. ;) Great chance for him to make a score here.

We should aim to be around 500 runs ahead with 5 sessions to go. If the rain/bad light stop us from winning the game its just bad luck.

Still under the constant threat of rain, Australia should have enforced follow on. In 4th innings also same 3 front line bowlers are going to ball so doesn't make any sense to me that they only have 3 front line bowlers.
Just a bit rain for even one or two sessions and I would be back on the issue of follow on anyway.

It's not worth it. The bowlers would have been tired and trying to bowl SA out back to back is a tough ask. And if this rain doesn't come and SA made 500 in the 2nd inns then we totally lose any advantage we had.

Saffers going to test Hughes with lot of short stuff. Good test for the young man

Katich gone. Great bowling from Morne. Hopefully punter can get through the first few balls

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread