Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

Like you mention, it's the balance of the attack I liked. Johnson and Siddle can pepper the batsmen because they know Hilfy and McDonald were able to restrict the run rate at the other end. That's why we ultimately picked Hauritz for a couple of Tests as the spinner, since Krejza couldn't stop the scoring. An attack full of wicket taking, aggressive bowlers may not be as effective without a relatively conservative, run stopping bowler.

Of course the great advantage of Hilfy is that if there is any swing he can exploit it, and that makes him a potentially dangerous containing bowler a la Glenn McGrath. All teams want those. However, I don't know whether Hilfy will be quite as economical is less favourable conditions.

Still I guess Stuart Clark is another viable alternative for the holding role and Nathan Bracken would also do it quite well too. Lee is more an aggressor so he might be competing with Siddle for a spot.

This is the great advantage of playing new players and seeing them do well, suddenly Australia has heaps of decent/good quicks: Lee, Clark, Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Tait, Bracken. McDonald and Watson have shown they can do a good job with the ball too.

Hasn't Tait stated he will only play in ODI's? It's a shame because he could be a great Test bowler.

McDonald may have done alright but not having a spinner hurt us because we had to stretch our pace bowlers' fitness to their limits.

We must play McGain in the second test, we simply must. McDonald failed with the bat which is one of the few things he has in his arsenal that make him a worthy selection. His bowling is not good enough to warrant keeping McGain out of the side.

As for Lee, no thanks. Unless two of Siddle, Hilfenhaus and Johnson get injured and ruled out of the Ashes, I wouldn't even consider picking Lee. He's clearly past his best and picking him just slows down our long term development. We still have to make room for Clark, picking Lee would leave us stalling. Not to mention the fact that I highly doubt he's still in our best XI.

And as for Bracken, I am sick of people mentioning his name. He is like McDonald, bowls it neat and tight but isn't very penetrating and won't take many wickets. He isn't even in the top 5 bowlers in the Shield this year.

aus5892 added 0 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

Hasn't Tait stated he will only play in ODI's? It's a shame because he could be a great Test bowler.
He's not fit enough to play test cricket, he's not even fit enough to last a full ODI match. It's time to stop staring at the speedometer when it comes to Shaun and start looking at the truth - he'll never be a great test bowler.

As for Lee, no thanks. Unless two of Siddle, Hilfenhaus and Johnson get injured and ruled out of the Ashes, I wouldn't even consider picking Lee. He's clearly past his best and picking him just slows down our long term development. We still have to make room for Clark, picking Lee would leave us stalling. Not to mention the fact that I highly doubt he's still in our best XI.

And as for Bracken, I am sick of people mentioning his name. He is like McDonald, bowls it neat and tight but isn't very penetrating and won't take many wickets. He isn't even in the top 5 bowlers in the Shield this year.

Don't agree on Clark. I've read twice recently journos saying that he's guaranteed a spot back in the side, but that Lee mightn't. Why?? Clark was the man dropped for the 4th Test in India, when we played White and Krejza. Johnson and Lee were the two fast bowlers. Sure he had the elbow issue, but he played the 3rd Test alright, and there was no additional injury report. Clark was seen as poor on lifeless tracks compared to the extra pace of Lee, but I think Clark is below Lee in the pecking order. Ponting usually relies on Lee more than Clark in the important periods, which is another factor. Clark is also not good for our long term development as you put it.

As for Bracken, IMO he would just be an experienced man who would do the job. He wouldn't be brilliant, but he is now a smart enough bowler to react to conditions. Opponents respect him, where they might be happy to tonk a guy they've never been dismissed by before. He's not knocking on the door right now, but if the entire Aussie squad got food poisoning or something and couldn't play, Bracken would be one of my 4 replacement bowlers.

He's not fit enough to play test cricket, he's not even fit enough to last a full ODI match. It's time to stop staring at the speedometer when it comes to Shaun and start looking at the truth - he'll never be a great test bowler.

Yeah his fitness blows right now, but I could see him playing a part where he bowls maybe 15 overs a day. You'd need a fit Watson/McDonald to bowl 10-15 overs and a spinner to bowl another 20-25, with the other 2 quicks bowling 20 each and there's 90 overs in a day. If he can bowl 10 overs in 3.5 hours in an ODI game, he should be able to bowl 15 overs in a 7 hour Test day. He'd be doing more fielding in an ODI game too probably, so a Test match could be easier on him. Thing is, he'd have to bowling bloody well to get picked for only 15 overs max a day.

Last edited:
McDonald may have done alright but not having a spinner hurt us because we had to stretch our pace bowlers' fitness to their limits.
Yeah, ideally you have a spinner who comes into his own in the 4th innings and takes on close to half the overs. McDonald was under-bowled, but the desire to take wickets saw the fast men bowling more overs. However, I'm not entirely sure Hilfy's 56 overs were necessary, as he wasn't exactly striking regularly. McDonald could easily have taken a couple of spells off him.

I really hope Siddle is fit enough to play the second test. I loved the way he roughed up the saffers. Lot of their batsmen looked very suspect against sharp short pitched bowling. Siddle is the perfect weapon to exploit that. And there is always the chance that he might break Steyn's jaw;)

I think Magoffin will do well in these conditions but I am not sure if he can recover from the long flight in time for the game. So I guess we might see Geeves get his chance , he doesn't mind bowling some short stuff either. I hope they pick McGain as well. Ronnie did a very good job but hes not a genuine wicket taker and that puts pressure on Johnson and Siddle to take lot of wickets.

McGain in for McDonald if everyone else is fit.

Kasper's wicket

Was Kasper out at Edgbaston?? (5th day)

Cause the referrals could have changed that series, out with three runs left!!!!

same with symonds (although less sure)

Gazza_11 added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Why wasn't Clint McKay picked??

best bowler if shield, and very handy bat

oh yeah, he's a vic (like me!!!)

unless they can take 700 wickets dont pick em, right Andrew hilditch???

Gazza_11 added 2 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

agreed sifet

we dont want to lose 64 tests of experience, in lee, compared to clarks 30 odd!!!

Was Kasper out at Edgbaston?? (5th day)

Cause the referrals could have changed that series, out with three runs left!!!!

same with symonds (although less sure)
Same with Damien Martyn and all of his inside edges and the Indian series. No point dwelling over it now. The Ashes were 4 years ago.

Why wasn't Clint McKay picked??

best bowler if shield, and very handy bat

oh yeah, he's a vic (like me!!!)

Only really just started performing late in the season, if he can continue his form next season he might be able to jump above Magoffin but that depends if he makes his debut or not.

He was playing wth an injury though. Bit harsh to disregard a player who is your highest active wicket-taker. His pace and experience will be needed in England.

If South Africa lose this next test match I can see Prince being called up for the 3rd test.

I would expect the bowling would come under scrutiny if they lose. If they're going to move a batsman on, it would have to be McKenzie, so they'd need to pick someone to open.

Looks like this pitch has got nothing and we could well pay for not choosing a spinner. Good start by us so far anyway.

With the Ashes coming up, I don't see any reason to maintain McDonald. Australia really need to play a spinner.

Users who are viewing this thread