Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

I second that.

Commentators were talking about it during the NZ series against Aus, they told how unlucky Hopes was to be not selected to the Aus test squad.
Definitely don't agree there - McDonald's FC stats are far superior to that of Hopes. Hopes is a pinch hitter, McDonald is actually a pretty good batsman in FC cricket. Just doesn't seem to be up to test standard, but neither is Hopes. We're better off playing North at 6, Haddin at 7 and then Johnson at 8 with a spinner (McGain) in.

Hughes is an absolute gun - brings up his century with back to back sixes! Look out world, Australia is back!

I like the look of this; I don't think Ponting's had to wait this long to get in since the days of Langer and Hayden...even if Jaques and Katich did put on that big partnership worth 200+ in the third test against the West Indies, but you see my point.

Brilliant stuff from Hughes. Back to back series. That just shows the courage of the bloke. Not afraid to lose is wicket and likes to take a risk. Very good knock.

Great start for the Aussies. These 2 have set the foundation for a great knock. This pitch looks different to the one in Jo'burg. I reckon it'll spin later on and be uneven and 2 paced.

I don't really understand how Hopes or McDonald could really be seen as Test bowlers. They're the 'hit the deck' kind of bowlers and don't really look like taking wickets. Much rather invest in someone like Tait who'd pressure the batsmen rather than help them settle.

At least part of the side is starting to settle for the Ashes. The top 7 is going to be absolutely lethal given that Hussey finds his form and Haddin starts to be consistent with the bat.

Yeah good point AJ, pressure's off Punter which can only be a good thing.

And also Hussey, if he can find his form watch out SA! We really needed McGain to add that variety plus we get to see how he goes on this deck. Guess we do see how each of our bowlers including McDonald will go on this flat deck.

I don't really understand how Hopes or McDonald could really be seen as Test bowlers. They're the 'hit the deck' kind of bowlers and don't really look like taking wickets. Much rather invest in someone like Tait who'd pressure the batsmen rather than help them settle.

At least part of the side is starting to settle for the Ashes. The top 7 is going to be absolutely lethal given that Hussey finds his form and Haddin starts to be consistent with the bat.
As I've said hundreds of times, Tait is not and will never be Test standard. He isn't fit enough to last a 5 over spell in an ODI, he isn't fit enough to play test cricket. We are better off investing in McDonald or Hopes, without question.

I thought Siddle is more of a hit the deck type of bowler. McDonald is a stump to stump bowler. Just very accurate, increasing pressure. You'll find that with him creating pressure, they'll try attack the bloke at the other end and it can result in wickets.

Dunno bout that Tait comment. He'd help a batsman settle more with his wayward bowling than McDonald. Tait bowls bad balls a lot and the batsmen can just hit them for four and get their eye in.

I thought Siddle is more of a hit the deck type of bowler. McDonald is a stump to stump bowler. Just very accurate, increasing pressure. You'll find that with him creating pressure, they'll try attack the bloke at the other end and it can result in wickets.

Dunno bout that Tait comment. He'd help a batsman settle more with his wayward bowling than McDonald. Tait bowls bad balls a lot and the batsmen can just hit them for four and get their eye in.
Especially when he's tired, which is usually after about 4 consecutive overs. His pace drops off and his accuracy is non-existent.

You're right on Siddle/McDonald too, Siddle hits the deck hard, runs in with intensity and really puts the batsman under pressure with fast, aggressive bowling. McDonald keeps it accurate and tight but lacks penetration and isn't dangerous enough. Would be better in ODI cricket I reckon.

Poor Morkel his best ball this inns and Kallis drops Hughes.

McDonald bowls pretty full which neglects his height a bit since he can't bowl that awkward length because of his pace. Siddle certainly hits the bat very hard giving that heavy bat feeling.

I dont think hopes or Macdonald should be in the team but selectors seem to want that type an i think hopes is a better batsman an bowler than Macdonald.

Yes Macdonald averages a tiny bit more 37 compared to about 31.
But Macdonald isnt a good enough batsmen to go on an make centuries he has only made 2 where as Hopes has made 5 I rate a guy with ability to make 100s more valuable than one who is a tiny bit more consistant with mid range scores.
Hopes has a better avg with the ball aswell.

We need to go with 3 quicks and a fulltime spinner.
If it looks like its going to be a pitch great for quicks then we go with north at 6 for his spin ability drop the fulltime spinner (unless hes been great) an play hopes.

Hughes goes, but it's been a brilliant knock. Good sharp catch from McKenzie.

Siddle has pace at least, we've seen him rattle the South Africans with his pace and bounce at times. Won't see that often with Hopes or McDonald.

Taits always got room for improvement, but I seriously don't like the idea of McDonald or Hopes in the side.

Good innings from Hughes.

Great innings comes to an end.
Prior to the match SA said they will be really testing him out with the short ball.
That was the first head high short ball he has trouble with ive seen for about an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread