Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

Also if the SA commentators are biased than I don't know what to call the aussie commentators since they are 100% more in the aussie favor than the SA commentators are towards us.

The Aussie commentators push bias to a new level and normally don't mention the opposing team. I remember minutes go buy before South Africa was mentioned. It was so bad that we sent our own commentary team to Australia.

Crap By South Africa. They bowled terribly to Hughes, they needed to attack, attack, attack with the short ball, and it showed when he skewed a short one to (backward?) point. Morkel is just getting more and more frustrating. He bowls decently but never takes any wickets. Harris was useful but Hughes really got hold of him.

We will need to take a few early wickets in the first session and hopefully restrict Australia to under 450.

You are playing with fire if you want to bowl short and wide to him. It's like bowling short to Ponting, it can be a very expensive experience. Short and at the body is where you want to bowl to Hughes.

Pretty good ball by Harris to get Clarke we are now seriously going to regret not playing McGain. Hussey not looking great but this could be the inns to get him back into form.

On that Morkel referral if anything that should have been a no ball. There was no part of Morkel backfoot behind the line.

Attachments

• morkel.png
    morkel.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 23
A really good hundred by Hughes. It was great to witness him hit a four to get closer to the hundred and then back to back sixes. Great to witness live! I was also pleased with Katich's hundred, good to see him convert a start into a hundred. I hope Hussey can go on and make a big score today, he really needs it.

Australia played really well today and have put South Africa on the backfoot.

From cricinfo.
9.40 am Durban time: Hello and welcome to the live coverage of the second day's play. Australia have batted themselves into a good position after their openers helped lay the foundation for a substantial first innings score. However, the weather marks a contrast to yesterday; it's very overcast, but that's something the home team won't mind too much, given that they have four seamers. The cracks on the pitch have widened a little - Paul Harris will be keeping an eye on that - but it still looks like a pretty decent batting track

The new ball will do a bit in the overcast conditions. We really need to get through the first hour. 4/300 is very good but couple of wickets early could change everything. Dont want to sound like broken record but we shouldve played McGain. Harris got some help from the surface yday and you would think that McGain would extract more turn and bounce.

Big day for Mike Hussey today.

Pitch is still a bit slow but definitely quicker than yesterday. Morkel is bowling a good spell with some good pace and good balls. Was unlucky not to have a 3rd slip that could have caught that edge from Hussey.

You are playing with fire if you want to bowl short and wide to him. It's like bowling short to Ponting, it can be a very expensive experience. Short and at the body is where you want to bowl to Hughes.

Pretty good ball by Harris to get Clarke we are now seriously going to regret not playing McGain. Hussey not looking great but this could be the inns to get him back into form.

On that Morkel referral if anything that should have been a no ball. There was no part of Morkel backfoot behind the line.

Watching a stream eh? ;)

Good reward for Morkel probably the best spell I've seen him bowl. I've never seen Hussey so poor against the short ball, the damage certainly was done in the last test as his pull shot certainly isn't the worst around but he seems to have put it away this match.

aussie1st added 16 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Watching a stream eh? ;)

That was from highlights I found :)

That was quite a collapse, I was watching Sky Sports News Hussey had just brought up his century and everything was going well, I have a shower 4 wickets fall.

Throws this game right open if Australia get skittled out.

Has been really poor batting since the openers left. We fix one thing then the other falls apart. Yes there is a bit more assistance for the bowlers but some of the shots or non shots in Johnson case has been poor. We can only hope it stays overcast as if that sun comes back our total we set could look well below par.

So much for Johnson being an allrounder, there is more to batting than tonking a crap spinner for six when there is no pressure on, it also includes protecting your wicket and staying in.

I blame Ponting for letting South Africa back into this game, getting out the way he did set a bad example, overconfidence bred from years of success is why Australia keep letting South Africa back into these matches.

The stupid Australian commentator on the radio who scoffed at the South African commentator's suggestion that Australia could be all out for 400 after Ponting was out must be feeling pretty stupid right now.

People have to stop expecting Australia to do well just because they are Australia and have a good look at the team sheet full of mediocre players instead.

I must admit, I did underestimate South Africa's ability to bounce back so fiercely, but I'm happy now because I know that a bunch of cocky Australian's have had the smug grins wiped off their faces.

Last edited:
That was over quickly after Lunch, South Africa are right back in this now. Steyn bowled quite brilliantly today.

Users who are viewing this thread