Australian Domestic Cricket

Matthew Day (21)
Former Australian u-19. Right arm pace bowler and powerful lower order batsman. Took 43 wickets @ 23 for Western Suburbs in 08/09. Also represented Australia in Schoolboy Rugby as a lock, which is not too surprising for a fast bowler and speaks highly of his athletic ability.

Adam Maher (26)
Another tall opening bowler. From Newcastle originally, played with Sydney CC in first grade. took 35 wickets at an average of 22 in 08/09 and was selected for the NSW 2nd XI. WA also showed strong interest.

Good luck to Cowan, he has talent but never really delivered here and with our batting depth he was never going to get much game time.

How quick is Day? We really need the next generation of Brett Lee/Shaun Tait to come through.

I didn't read the article but didn't Queensland only want him to play first-class cricket?

I've always thought Queensland were good to Noffke because of the amount of injuries he had he was still allowed to go and play county cricket.

Great buy for WA, Noffke is class. In the 07/08 season he was the second highest wicket taker and like the 4th top run scorer IIRC. Class player, I've always like him. I would have rathered we got him then Watson. =/

Beauty, Noffke and Johnson this year (doubt we'll see Johnson much:(). Where'd Watson go? link?

No we won't. We were horrible last season, and not much will change this year. Will be without Johnson a lot, Noffke could disaspoint over here, North is playing Test cricket now and Voges could (unlikely) play ODI cricket or Aus A stuff.

Noffke is a gun, and I've always said that. But I'm not sure how well he will bowl outside of QLD, especially WA because he's not the quickiest guy around. He might get belted for a few which wouldn't be good for you guys.

With Voges getting closer and closer to the first team for ODI's and Twenty20's etc WA might not see a lot of ghim this summer and they need him if he's going to do well. But the Australian domestic season is so unpredictable, a team could win 1 year and come last the next. I think WA might have a hard time.

NSW will only get better. Our team is so young and inconsistent that it was hard to get a solid team out there. But the fact that in the last 2 years we have given our players experience is great for us. This year still might be a rebuilding year but I can see glory days coming up. A majority of our youngsters have experience and playing against New Zealand would have helped the young guys (we fielded our second youngest ever team for that game). With Hughes, Haddin and Katich all in the test team it might not be an easy season though. All 3 built there way to solid players for us but now they are all playing for Australia.

If Watson can stay fit he will open in the place of Watson or Khwaja might have a go at opening. I'm not too worried about some batsmen being called up though because we have the depth to cover them. But chopping and changing the team isn't good for us atm, we need to get a solid young team on the field who learn to play well together and they can eventually become great players for NSW. Not only do we need to give these players experience, we need to build team chemistry and get these players sued to playing with each other.

Should be a decent year for us, I can see us starring again in the Twenty20 comp and going about mid table in the rest. We will struggle a bit more in FC without Hughes but we'll probably still do ok. I'm excited about our future though. The fact we can replace Hughes with another young gun like Khwaja is really encouraging.

Sadly just when our rebuilding kicks in we lose someone i.e Hughes. The bowling could be boosted though with Lee/Clark's spot not so secure atm and Clark isn't really in the frame for ODIs. Batting is still strong with Khawaja and Forrest gaining valuable experience last season. Need them to kick on this season and maybe another of our up and coming batters to go through.

Ahh yes, forgot about the fact that we might have Lee or Clark in our squad. If Lee doesn't improve any time soon then he might be playing some cricket for us this year which is a good thing. If Lee is playing for us then it makes up for the loss of Hughes because bowling really wins you matches. If you score 400 and your bowling sucks they will score over 400. But that said, I don't think our bowling sucks. Players like Cameron our great domestic plays and can't be underrated.

We have enough in the bowling with Bollinger, Cameron and Cockley to be the 3 pacemen with the International guys popping in when off duty. Don't know if Steven Smith will be the spinner or Casson but hopefully one of them deliver for our sake and Australia.

Batting is obviously the problem, we had some real bad collapses last season, like a 200ish score against Victoria and then they went on to score 500 or something.

Users who are viewing this thread