Australian Domestic Cricket

Well a few seasons ago Matthew Wade was just our reserve keeper, things have changed a lot for him!

Paine really has done better in One Dayers and 20/20. Average of 30 in FC cricket aint great, he hasnt done well so far with the bat. Hard to argue against Wade for the longer game with his 40 average.

I think Paine just tries to bat too cautious in the longer games, rather than Wade who's strike rate is 88. I have no doubt selectors won't be smart enough to choose Wade only in Test and Paine in limited overs.

Paine's cautious game is actually how I expecting him to bat in the shorter forms but surprisingly hes been much better. Wade isn't that far off in the shorter forms, he plays the same way in all forms.

Oh and I see North has failed again...

Cant comment on the Wade vs Paine since i haven't seen Wade. But good to see two potential good back-ups for Haddin. Up to year ago while Manou was back-up during the Ashes, i was feeling the keeping depth was not that good.

Starc and Smith you rippers :) Good to have Starc hitting some form again, going to make it hard for the selectors to drop him.

Queensland are matching us on the young bowlers front, Feldman again with a bag of wickets and Swan wasn't far behind.

Other game, hmmm Marsh brilliant start is well and truely over. Ronchi is going dam well though, keeping his name in the frame.

Good to see Ronchi back in the runs, I really thought he'd kick on after that WI tour, but not to be.

Feldman and Copeland look to be in some amazing form, especially Copeland- his season stats are incredible.

Hughes has better FC stats than both Tendulkar and Ponting. And this is probably when he has not even reached his peak yet.

Phillip Hughes
Average: 59.66
SR: 62.01
Innings per century: 5.08

Sachin Tendulkar
Average: 59.24
SR: Unknown
Innings per century: 5.70

Ricky Ponting
Average: 58.00
SR: Unknown (Test SR of 59.60)
Innings per century: 5.63

Infact only Ajinkya Rahane has a better FC average than Hughes from the current players that are playing in the world.

Settle down, yes Hughes is good! It will be a treat for the whole cricketing world if he can replicate the form he showed during hose South Africa twin tons, he was in some form then, you got the feeling you werent watching yet another test batsman, he is special.

Have to say, the first time I saw him bat was on tv in the shield final where he got the 2nd innings ton, he just carved the Vics up, and the commentators were just falling over themselves in excitement.

Settle down, yes Hughes is good! It will be a treat for the whole cricketing world if he can replicate the form he showed during hose South Africa twin tons, he was in some form then, you got the feeling you werent watching yet another test batsman, he is special.

Have to say, the first time I saw him bat was on tv in the shield final where he got the 2nd innings ton, he just carved the Vics up, and the commentators were just falling over themselves in excitement.

It is an uncontrolled urge to keep talking him up. The first time I heard him (listening to the SA series on radio) the commentators were also falling off their chairs. I have never heard about Hughes before they said he was going to debut for Australia. But when he started to score you could sense that it was something special, I wasn't even watching it but I could see the flare in him already. Also a nice guy when you hear him talk, like he has got nothing to hold back and can challange any situation but also respects the spirit of the game. The fact that he was going to take over Hayden's spot really excited me (because I really wanted him to do well). But when he scored those 2 centuries at Durban, he basically achieved what Hayden couldn't do (at home), challange Steyn&Co on their home turf, and at 20 that was really special.

Ofcourse after I had seen the highlights of that series, you could also tell he had a remarkable hand-eye coordination which allowed him to play those un-orthodox shots. Although even with the flare and un-orthodox technique, his temperament (especially for Test cricket) really stood out, and at 20 that is even more special.

I loved that 2nd innings at Joburg, where the SA bowlers were basically laughing at him, and Hughes looked bad to start with but he responded well and it was some mighty fascinating test cricket to witness. The whole time Hughes was batting in that 70 odd the whole focus was on him and what he'd do next. Ball was flying around his head, gripping stuff. At Durban the SA bowlers just had no idea, he flayed them. Of course we'll never know what he may have done had the selectors not had a brain spaz and dropped him.

Users who are viewing this thread