Australian Domestic Cricket

Lambert brought up to open, would have liked Hughes in there but I'll take Lambert opening over Mail coming back in.

Still no Henriques this was meant to be his chance to make a name for himself.

Thought it was a bit stupid playing 5 bowlers and an all-rounder. Surely they could've sacrificed Cameron for Hughes or some other batsmen.

Who knows with the NSW selectors, only got 2 overs from Lambert and Thornley wasn't even needed. Could have used both more and added another batter, having Hauritz at 7 geez that is pushing it. I wonder why Katich didn't open, at this level hes in his zone.

Well why is Gilchrist in the team?

And why hadn't Wade Seccombe been the keeper for the past 10 years? He was the best gloveman by a country mile-he just wasn't a batter. Haddin is also a superior keeper to gilchrist-he moves MUCH better.

Gilchrist is an average keeper technique wise mate. And please don't throw stats at me-they mean very little to keepers.

You are living in the 1920s mate. Keepers no longer can't just be keepers and only average 15 with the bat-it just doesn't cut it in the modern day because you are wasting a place. Keepers today are picked on keeping yes, but they MUST (at least in Aussie cricket) have an average over 30.
That's somewhat ridiculous if you're talking about getting selected for first class teams, but Healy never had a good average and it wasn't until he was 36 that Gilchrist pushed him out, so we're talking about living in the 1990s at worst. If those unusual two players, Gilchrist and Haddin are out of the picture, the selectors are hardly going to pick a batsman and ask him to learn to keep, they're going to pick a keeper and like any where else, most of Australia's keepers don't average more than 30.

Riddle me this, though. What noone has ever been able to explain is why Gilchrist is so successful as a keeper, in spite of apparently not being a very good one at all. The first and foremost reason that is used is that keeping to the likes of Warne and McGrath is always going to turn lots of catches, but his record for WA is equally impressive, with much less impressive bowlers. Maybe there was a bit more carry in the WACA pitch that made up for that, but whatever it was didn't do Ryan Campbell any service as WA's second keeper. On the other side of the country, Haddin has generally kept to a brilliant contingent of both pacemen and spinners, but seems to get half as many catches out of it.

Victorian players said of Darren Berry that it was possible to spread first slip wider because he was so brilliant. He wasn't just reputed, though, his 557 first class dismissals for Victoria is quite insane for 138 games. So there was at least one player for who it was noted that he covered a larger than normal area with his keeping and did indeed take more catches than normal.

Is that then, the simple explanation for Gilchrist? That he has taken lots of catches in front of or past a regulation first slip?

Does Jim Allenby still play for Western Australia or can we get him as a fully qualified Englishman ;) I've always rated him quite highly as a batsmen, he didn't perform that well last year, he had a really good start and then fell away but he averages 40 in FC so he's no mug and is a useful bowler especially in the shorter form.

Ronchi problem has always been getting out after getting a start. Gilly has a similar style so hopefully he can teach Ronchi a thing or two about being a bit more consistent.

no, Ronchi's problem is not getting a start to begin with. He always scores big or scores nothing and gets out in his first few overs. If you looked up nervous starter in the cricket dictionary, you'd get Ronchi's mug staring back at you.

loads of talent though, hes 26 now and needs to find some consistency.

Well why is Gilchrist in the team?

And why hadn't Wade Seccombe been the keeper for the past 10 years? He was the best gloveman by a country mile-he just wasn't a batter. Haddin is also a superior keeper to gilchrist-he moves MUCH better.

Gilchrist is an average keeper technique wise mate. And please don't throw stats at me-they mean very little to keepers.

You are living in the 1920s mate. Keepers no longer can't just be keepers and only average 15 with the bat-it just doesn't cut it in the modern day because you are wasting a place. Keepers today are picked on keeping yes, but they MUST (at least in Aussie cricket) have an average over 30.

No. You pick a keeper on his keeping skills first then the better batter gets it.

no, Ronchi's problem is not getting a start to begin with. He always scores big or scores nothing and gets out in his first few overs. If you looked up nervous starter in the cricket dictionary, you'd get Ronchi's mug staring back at you.

loads of talent though, hes 26 now and needs to find some consistency.

I've seen quite a few games where he gets about 20-30 then is out as well.

Just read Henriques is playing Club cricket, took a 5 fer and got 50 runs but didn't bowl in his latest game I think it was. Looks like that is the worry for the selectors atm.

Henriques is strictly average I feel. But give him time and he'll bloom.

That's somewhat ridiculous if you're talking about getting selected for first class teams, but Healy never had a good average and it wasn't until he was 36 that Gilchrist pushed him out, so we're talking about living in the 1990s at worst. If those unusual two players, Gilchrist and Haddin are out of the picture, the selectors are hardly going to pick a batsman and ask him to learn to keep, they're going to pick a keeper and like any where else, most of Australia's keepers don't average more than 30.

Riddle me this, though. What noone has ever been able to explain is why Gilchrist is so successful as a keeper, in spite of apparently not being a very good one at all. The first and foremost reason that is used is that keeping to the likes of Warne and McGrath is always going to turn lots of catches, but his record for WA is equally impressive, with much less impressive bowlers. Maybe there was a bit more carry in the WACA pitch that made up for that, but whatever it was didn't do Ryan Campbell any service as WA's second keeper. On the other side of the country, Haddin has generally kept to a brilliant contingent of both pacemen and spinners, but seems to get half as many catches out of it.

Victorian players said of Darren Berry that it was possible to spread first slip wider because he was so brilliant. He wasn't just reputed, though, his 557 first class dismissals for Victoria is quite insane for 138 games. So there was at least one player for who it was noted that he covered a larger than normal area with his keeping and did indeed take more catches than normal.

Is that then, the simple explanation for Gilchrist? That he has taken lots of catches in front of or past a regulation first slip?

Oh stop trying to pick an argument. You can't say that keepers get in to the Australian team based on keeping alone - which is the main point I made. THEY WONT. I don't care how good of a keeper you are you aint going to make the Australian team unless you bat very well.

And on the matter of Gilchrist-mate you watch the likes of Wade Seccombe, Brad Haddin, Chris Read, etc keep and then come back and tell me Gilchrist is a brilliant keeper.

And DON'T throw stats at me. They mean absolutely nothing with keepers. Every single international keeper in the world takes regulation chances, and if you want to talk taking screamers - have you seen the ones that McCullum and Boucher take? I remember a catch McCullum took down leg side against Sri Lanka - he covered I swear, like 10 meters.

My point will be proved when Haddin and Gilchrist retire. They will look at all the state keepers and I bet you 20 thousands dollars the one that gets in will be the one with the best average. (Of course I know that they have to be good keepers before they are picked anyway, but I'm confident that all of Australia's state keepers will be very good - they always are. Look at Paine his awesome, look at Crosthwaite (sp?) his awesome, look at Ronchi his awesome, look at Hartely, Manu, Smith.. They are ALL good keepers.

I think Gilchrist is an exceptional keeper, and is well up to international standard, so don't try and say I'm a gilly hater. I think he is much much a better keeper than McCullum, Boucher, Sangakkara, Dhoni, etc, I just made the point that in the past, there have been better keepers than Adam Gilchrist in Australian cricket yet they aren't picked. I'm NOT saying they should be - if Gilly is putting along with an average of 40 and doing well with the gloves, he shouldn't be taken out. I am only making these points because someone said earlier that keepers should be picked on keeping ability alone and it's obvious that it isn't the case in todays cricket.

Last edited:
Look at Paine his awesome, look at Crosthwaite (sp?) his awesome, look at Ronchi his awesome, look at Hartely, Manu, Smith.. They are ALL good keepers.

If you've ever seen Crosthwaite you will know that he is a real ordinary keeper. Nobody can understand why he is in the team. Cricket Victoria, former coaches, first grade umpires all reakon that he is a real sloppy keeper and there has been a whole heap of smoke blown up his arse.

And he's an ordinary batsman aswell. Only averages 19 with the bat in ODD and 21 in FC cricket.

If you've ever seen Crosthwaite you will know that he is a real ordinary keeper. Nobody can understand why he is in the team. Cricket Victoria, former coaches, first grade umpires all reakon that he is a real sloppy keeper and there has been a whole heap of smoke blown up his arse.

And he's an ordinary batsman aswell. Only averages 19 with the bat in ODD and 21 in FC cricket.

I've only seen 1 or 2 matches with him in it and the commentators were talking him up heaps so I'm just going on that :P But still you get my point, most keepers in Aussie cricket are quite good with the gloves and the batting will decide it.

Is Paine injured? As he hasn't been named in Tassie latest Pura cup side.
Daniel Marsh (capt), George Bailey, Travis Birt, Luke Butterworth, Sean Clingeleffer, Michael Dighton, Michael Di Venuto, Brendan Drew, Brett Geeves, Adam Griffith, Ben Hilfenhaus, Jason Krejza. 12th man TBA.

Not sure? Possibly. In the one dayer vs NSW I remember Brendan Drew came up the order to bat above Paine. Maybe its something he sustained in that game?

[edit]
But Tassie batted in the first innings and Paine kept in the 2nd while Tassie bowled. Not sure what the story is!
Ignore me, I think I'm completely wrong now :p

Last edited:
Is Paine injured? As he hasn't been named in Tassie latest Pura cup side.
He was dropped for Ponting last game and it seems now they've decided they need a bit of spin in the side from Krejza, not entirely a bad move.

Users who are viewing this thread