Australian Domestic Cricket

It's still in its infancy in terms of effectiveness, but judging what Darren Berry said, the teams understand it fairly well; they know whatever the situation, a strong partnership will use it better than one or two unestablished batsmen. Just finding that right partnership seems tricky. All said, it is meant to be a gamble, take it early and maybe you will get a better time to use it later, take it late and maybe you missed the best of your chances.

Judging from how one-dayers are played, I think it should definitely not be used in the last 10 overs, as teams go quickly regardless of how many fielders are on the boundary. However, between 20 and 40 is where batsmen tend to slow down the most and it is here that quite often the 5 over run rate could double and change the game somewhat. It's a period where a part-timer can be singled out, if not, then maybe a death bowler can be expended a little.

I think Cullen bowled quite well today, got Cowan as classically as you like and got both of NSW's most dangerous players at the right times. One has to remember that the Redbacks don't have any great fielders like the guys that play ODIs and today they missed a lot of uncomplicated catches. THere are a number of players who don't pressure the batsmen out of trying to run quick singles.

Nevertheless, NSW smote SA hard for choosing to field and in spite of causing early difficulty with the greeness, this will be tough for the home side.
I reckon the last 10 overs are the time to use the powerplay, depending on the situation of course. If you've got a couple of openers smacking the ball all over the park then obviously you use it straight away. But normally in the middle overs you're trying to get a strong partnership going, and if you were to thrust upon those batsmen the responsibility of facing the slogging overs they'd probably get out. Then you have 10 to 20 overs of bowlers doing the batting.

It's a tricky thing to time though, because I watched one Tassie game where Bailey and Divin were batting, and you assumed once they got their eye in they'd use the powerplay as they were our last remaining batsmen. Unfortunately Divin ran Bailey out and got himself out the next ball. We escaped this situation thanks to Drew and Doherty but it's fair to say we took that powerplay a bit too late.

But in our most recent game Marsh and Bailey were batting when the powerplay was taken. Luckily for us Bailey is a gun and he smashed them everywhere during the powerplay, but had he or Marsh gotten out, we would've had to send one of the slow-batting Paine or Butterworth out or a big-hitting bowler, and then we would've had to play out the rest of the innings without the help of Bailey. So it seems the best time to play the powerplay is in the last 10 overs when you're 0-2 wickets down, but of course, that is sometimes a hard situation to reach.

Overall, I don't really care how it works, it makes the game more interesting, so I like it.

Wow, NSW putting more catches down...

lol haddin and katich just dropped two catches in one ball.

Haddin is going pretty poorly this game TBH.. I don't think that catch is really one you'd expect to take though.

Haddin dropping catches? Thats unusual for a keeper who was recently picked in jordox's World Test XI :p

O'Keefe bowled well, looks like that will keep Casson out of the OD side for a while longer. Bollinger form seems to have taken a hit more in the OD form of the game. Hope he's still in form in the longer version of the game.

A good win for my boys. A much needed one. I was a bit edgy when Lehmann got out lol.

3 off the last over and they still needed 1 off the last ball? Why would you put yourself in that sort of a position?

I reckon the last 10 overs are the time to use the powerplay, depending on the situation of course. If you've got a couple of openers smacking the ball all over the park then obviously you use it straight away. But normally in the middle overs you're trying to get a strong partnership going, and if you were to thrust upon those batsmen the responsibility of facing the slogging overs they'd probably get out. Then you have 10 to 20 overs of bowlers doing the batting.

It's a tricky thing to time though, because I watched one Tassie game where Bailey and Divin were batting, and you assumed once they got their eye in they'd use the powerplay as they were our last remaining batsmen. Unfortunately Divin ran Bailey out and got himself out the next ball. We escaped this situation thanks to Drew and Doherty but it's fair to say we took that powerplay a bit too late.

But in our most recent game Marsh and Bailey were batting when the powerplay was taken. Luckily for us Bailey is a gun and he smashed them everywhere during the powerplay, but had he or Marsh gotten out, we would've had to send one of the slow-batting Paine or Butterworth out or a big-hitting bowler, and then we would've had to play out the rest of the innings without the help of Bailey. So it seems the best time to play the powerplay is in the last 10 overs when you're 0-2 wickets down, but of course, that is sometimes a hard situation to reach.

Overall, I don't really care how it works, it makes the game more interesting, so I like it.
Yeah, it sounds good in theory because it's better to lose late wickets than middle wickets, but in practice, teams don't really tend to score quicker than they normally would. Tassie 3 wickets down with 200 on the board were always going to make a fist of the last 10 overs and they scored about the same in the 3rd Powerplay as they did in the overs after the Powerplay by which time Bailey had already gotten out. I can see most teams opting for it, but it isn't particularly efficient use of the resource; if there aren't wickets left, they will bat slow, if there are they will always bat faster, perhaps it is the safest option, but definitely a last resort.

One thing I think we can agree on though, is that it is best used with wickets in hand. It should probably be used before the fall of the 4th or 5th wicket and that is probably likely to happen earlier rather than later.

Haddin dropping catches? Thats unusual for a keeper who was recently picked in jordox's World Test XI :p

Smartass! Being serious though they were really hard chances and he did take a cracker. :p

Lol SA made hard work of that. Great bowling by O'Keefe. Hes a good rookie.

Is Stephen O'Keeffe related to Kerry?

In any case, he did perform well the other day

However, this will be another tough year for the blues. With five guys in the test side, that's always going to hurt

Wouldn't matter if those 5 guys were back if NSW keep dropping catches like they have been this season.

Bollinger seems to have flipped his strengths around. Before he was a good OD bowler. Now hes a better FC bowler. Him and Bracken formed quite the combo, bit weird why Nicholson opened the bowling.

Great spells from Bracken and Bollinger, cleaned em up.

Nice innings from SA to keep there hopes alive, they were 8/120 and they lost there last 2 wickets for 70 thanks to a nice innigns from Ferguson.

Very quiet start from the Blues in the batting compartment. Probably wanted to see out the day and press on tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread