Australian Domestic Cricket

WA vs Tas at WACA 24/10/08

I don't know if the WACA surface is best described as either cracked or green; the shallow cracks are lined with some green regrowth and combined with overcast conditions and a ten goal breeze, there's little wonder Marcus North elected to bowl first.

Wonder is one emotion they'd be feeling now with the match delayed by rain and with Tassie 0/72 after 11 overs. The ball has certainly seamed, but Magoffin and Dorey struggled to find the appropriate line or length, generally either too short and wide or too full and straight. Paine played in orthodox fashion and punished with stylish cuts and on-drives, even hitting one for six. Dighton tried to charge the bowlers and used less orthodox shots, but it was effective. There have certainly been some false shots, but only the edge through a vacant third slip could really be seen as a missed chance.

So the rain break is certainly welcome for one team and the suddenness of the deluge means it might have repainted the pitch with a coat of helpful moisture. One would have thought there'd be something there for any bowler, but probably Edmondson was the one I had expected to see early. He bowls a fuller length and can trouble batsman with sheer pace. Bandy and Doropoulos are also in the side and although not quick, they are handy enough to be able to effect a recovery.

Funny stuff with Harwood and Hussey, not too big an issue IMO.

Interesting to see Hill in, hopefully he takes his chance if he's given it.

Dan Marsh is hitting them so well at the moment. So crisp. Currently on 44.

Tassie 4/168 with just under 10 overs left. They'll be wanting around 220-230 imo.

WA vs Tas at WACA 24/10/08

Aaron Heal has really used the breeze well, bowling around the wicket and drifting the ball in to the right handers, when the ball gets a bit of extra turn, it is mesmeric. North at the other end has basically bowled 95 kph darts at the stumps; it's ugly, but effective enough. Good turn around by WA to really have this match back under control, but remembering the start of the game, there should be potential for new ball bowlers to cause havoc. Geeves and Hilfenhaus are the pair to beat and they'd be backing themselves with anything over 200.

Tasmania failed to accelerate at the end though they have managed good after the sloppy start.Honestly I was expecting Tasmania to get stacked somewhere around 80 for 6 after the way WA have bowled at the start.Marsh played well.
Regarding to Heal,I think Pitch has supported him somehow.He has bowled well with flight and controlled speed.
So there you go 223 to win for WA.This should be a nice contest.

Heal was good in his opening FRC match as well so very good signs for our ODI spinners. We shouldn't need White as our spinner for the ODI form of the game.

Hauritz certainly pushed his claim for more FC games taking 2 wickets. Interesting enough he was bowled before Casson. Cockley came back well to clean up the tail having SA all out for 313 on the first day. Now to the big test with our batting.

Yeah, any kind of bowler can extract variable lateral and vertical movement if they hit the right areas.

ha ha.Change of the angle has worked for Geeves.Danger man gone.
Still a great condition for bowlers.

Hilfenhaus and Geeves were good early on, but they're out of overs and the other bowlers have been less than economical. WA need 100 in 15 overs and with Voges and Doropoulos, the game is nicely poised.

Geeves has a fantastic coaching duo for the Delhi Daredevils in Lillee and Sekhar and I would not be surprised if it has helped him immensely. In the IPL, Geeves displayed pace and swing. He looked like an international bowler, but a poor one, as he lacks control of line or length. Geeves should be able to do well in Australia, as the conditions suit his style of bowling and good luck to him!

Geeves was loose early today as well, but he usually settles, as he also did today; as soon as he hit a good area, he got Marsh out, who was otherwise belting him. In T20 that's probably an obvious problem, because you'd get pulled or get the field spread on you or even just because you don't get long enough to recover from two or three really good shots.

Rain halts play again, but probably not for long. Theo Doropoulos stands just inches away from a maiden century and one hell of a match winning knock. I've been saying for a while, but this guy is the goods. WA all set to get home.

Well that's terrible. Rain reduced the overs left, but also the target, only one to get for WA, but Doro robbed of a deserving 100. To further the blow, he's run out backing up. 92 from 75; still a great innings, still the difference between the two sides. Next ball, Bandy drives over long off for the win. Top class game in spite of weather.

Last edited:
30 runs in 9 overs down to one run in one over? That's pretty poor.

As for Doropoulos, great innings, another promising WA batsman. They really have a talented batting order, with the likes of Pomersbach and Doropoulos and Marsh for the future, then the middle aged Voges and North, and of course Ronchi.

30 runs in 9 overs down to one run in one over? That's pretty poor.

As for Doropoulos, great innings, another promising WA batsman. They really have a talented batting order, with the likes of Pomersbach and Doropoulos and Marsh for the future, then the middle aged Voges and North, and of course Ronchi.
Nah, it was 16 from 3 overs before the final rain break. I guess you could still look at that as being a fair sway in favour of WA, but when they went off, it seemed as good as won, D/L had them 1 run in front and they really had done all the hard work, plus no Hilfy or Geeves overs left to devastate them.

Pomersbach to me looks under some pressure. He's been put up at no 3 in the one day line up, but his technique is looking really ordinary compared with everyone beneath him. Maybe technique is the wrong word, but it seems like he needs more patience to play one dayers than the other two forms of the game and instead he's just throwing shots all about the place.

I'd already felt that Doropoulos could be a sneak ODI or T20I selection because of his bowling ability, but after tonight and also the runs he made in the Sheffield Shield match, I really can't see anything wrong with his batting; it's not just flukey slogs, he plays straight and can produce a lot of runs from 75 balls. He's got the combination of talent, skills and brains to go a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread