Australia's Tour of Zimbabwe

Should Australia Tour Zimbabwe?

• Total voters

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
This thread is to discuss whether Australia should tour Zimbabwe in June 2007, for a 3 match ODI series.

There has been a lot of controversy on this tour, because Australia are considering not touring due to security and political issues with Zimbabwe's government, cricket board and country in general.

As most of you will know, John Howard has offered to pay the $2 million USD($2.4 mill AUD) fine that Australia will incur if it abandons the tour.

Personally I am 100% with abandoning this tour, regardless of what it will do to the game's growth and health in Zimbabwe. I could not care less, and am much more concerned about safety of our cricketers and of not supporting Zimbabwe in any way.

Well safety comes first , if Zimbawe cannot provide good securities and safeties for Australain cricketers, they they should not go ,they cant risk their lives for a tour . Why dont Zimbabwe comes to Aus ;)

WORLD CHAMPIONS said:
Well safety comes first , if Zimbawe cannot provide good securities and safeties for Australain cricketers, they they should not go ,they cant risk their lives for a tour . Why dont Zimbabwe comes to Aus ;)

A "top end" series would be a nice option but it's very very unlikely, especialy as crowds were poor last time they tryed it.

I think it's a no brainer really, Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe Cricket is in a terrible state and noway near fit for touring. Add to the fact it's going to be very one sided.

I do not think they should tour. In fact, I think that Zimbabwe should be expelled from the ICC (much like apartheid South Africa) until this repressive dictatorship ends. I also think that the safety risks are too great too.

Also, I doubt there will be any competitive side to this series since Zimbabwe are the poorest test playing nation and Australia the greatest.

Drewska said:
A "top end" series would be a nice option but it's very very unlikely, especialy as crowds were poor last time they tryed it.

I think it's a no brainer really, Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe Cricket is in a terrible state and noway near fit for touring. Add to the fact it's going to be very one sided.
Well we are doing it against Bangladesh next year again, last year it was Australia A playing up in Darwin and Cairns, so they will still do things like that in the future, but Australia's schedule is crowded enough as it is, we could use the break.

manee said:
I do not think they should tour. In fact, I think that Zimbabwe should be expelled from the ICC (much like apartheid South Africa) until this repressive dictatorship ends. I also think that the safety risks are too great too.
I agree completely.

The current state that Zimbabwe is in no way we should be touring. If they want a game they can always come down to Australia until they get their stuff sorted back home.

I wouldn't tour it is too dangerous. Even sending over a weaker team wouldn't be a good idea because some of our younger players could get affected. I don't know how much the ICC rankings mean but Irealand is ahead of Zimbabwe so I think Australia would be better playing Irealand, plus it would be more safe and better grow the game in Irealand.

Considering everything, if it is reasonable to tour, Australia shouldn't send a full strength squad. Would it be disrespectful to Zimbabwe? Hardly. Thrashing them by 300 runs would be quite a lot more indignant. Offering a contest could at least draw some interest.

I think they should just go,if its a fixture on the International calender then they should be going and not forfiting.IMO

IMHO i think Australia should go but if they are not providing with good security and if its too dangerous then Zimbabwe should just come to Australia.

IMO Aussies should not tour Zimbabwe too many problems and security will always be a risk.

I don't think Australia should go. Too many problems i.e. security, politics, etc

Plus, it would be a completely meaningless 'contest' (if you could call it that) as there is no way Zimbabwe could compete with any side put out by Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread