Bat Care, Repair and General Tips

Without seeing it, it's hard to say although all is not lost. Try knocking it in for a bit longer as this can help with Kashmir willow (and hard bats made of English), if it's a natural finish apply another coat of oil (easy with it though) and then apply a slightly thicker coat (two wipe downs) at the end of the season before you store it.

Next year, knock it in for an hour or two as well as applying a very thin coat of oil, leave to dry and see what happens.

If its a covered face then all I'd say is knock it in for a bit longer and get plenty of net time with it. Unfortunately, there's no magic way of making a bat ping (unless someone cares to share the secret!).

You are a fountain of all knowledge

Not really, just a sad bloke who loves cricket, but most of all cricket equipment lol.

Whilst I'm waiting on getting a camera a quick piece on end of season bat care.

You don't have to do too much here but it's a good idea to bear the following list in mind:

• Is the bat clean? - Wipe off any mud\grass with a very lightly wetted cloth, then wipe with a dry cloth. Do not over wet the cloth as this can cause the wood to rot.

• What state is the wood in? - Check the blade for cracks, is the toe guard coming off, hows the handle\splice? Give the whole bat a visual once over. It's often cheaper to get your bat professionally fixed in the winter months as its generally a quieter time - don't leave it until the week before nets start!
  • Where am I going to store it? A nice cool moist environment will serve it best such as a garage or outdoor utility room. Do not leave it in a boot or by the radiator.

That is as simple as it gets! 5 minutes spent going over the blade before packing it away could save you the need to buy a new bat!

Some people swear by giving their bat a light sand down but I tend to save that for pre season which, when coupled with a light coat of oil and a little bit of knocking in can help to rejuvenate your bat somewhat.

Last edited:
I would just like to ask, do you know all of this, or do you find it on the internet...either way great tips Tom

I make cricket bats (used to do it full time but its now more of a part time thing) and have done so for around 10 years. Learnt the trade under a master bat maker although I'd say that my skill level is only average, mainly as I just don't get the time to practice as much as I'd like. Nowadays I mainly concentrate on bat repairs\clean ups and come what may.

Anything else is knowledge gained from playing the game, working within it or chatting to clients, players or friends.

do you have any famous clients, county cricketers for example ?

Also, i have been looking at my harrow Woodworm Torch pioneer, made with kashmir willow. It's my back-up bat but i am considering using it in the next academy game. However, the protec-toe is pretty much off and there are some surface cracks, mainly on the edges. Just wondering if its worth doing anything to make it a decent back-up bat or just leaving it for dire circumstance, such as if my Gray Nicolls powerbow force breaks. What do you reccommend ?

When I used to work for one of the big manufacturers we had a few famous faces but they tended to deal with the main master bat maker and not us little guys.

Nowadays as I said I'm very much a one man band (as well as having a proper job lol) and would only make a bat for a mate or if I need one. Still do a lot of repairs though.

As for your bat, I'd say take the toe guard off as it's not going to help much if its half off. If you want to replace it, sand the toe to remove as much left behind glue/guard (if there is any on there) and to rough up the wood, then apply a new guard as per packet instructions.

If the bat was left as a natural finish you could give it a sand down with fine grade paper and then a light oil, which should remove some of the very shallow surface cracks\marks. If it has a face (clear or fibre glass) then you'll need to get it properly sanded.

In general though surface cracks are nothing to worry about, unless they appear to run deeper into the wood. From what you're describing I'd continue to use it as and when you want as it sounds like its something reasonable to have in your bag for a back up.

Which manufacturer did you used to work for?

Mainly County, but have done stuff for a few small companies, although not a great deal. I was never a big wig in the industry by any means but you do pick up a hell of a lot of knowledge about the game just by being it around day in, day out..

The best bit was often getting to watch games for free and then mixing with the teams in the bar afterwards.

Last edited:
I have an SS Gutsy Kashmir Willow. I gave it a good knock only for couple of hours but played for hours with a very old soft cricket ball. After having it stored away for a few months, I brought it out and started with the soft cricket ball again. after about 10 overs worth of hitting, we played with a semi new and a new ball. After a good 10 overs the handle cracked. It feels very weak and the handle is off completely. Can anything be done to save the bat?

I have another bat that came to me in the most sorry state. Someone had a GN Millenium which had some kind of plaster layer on it white in colour. The problem is they were gifted the bat and since none of the kids in the house played cricket but only baseball, they stored it away in the boiler room for weeks and used the bats for things that it should never have been used for. I replaced the melted grip after getting the handle re-strung. The bat looks in a sad state though. The toe looks somewhat eaten away. This bat doesn't seems like one which will respond to oiling as it has some kind of layer already on it. Can anything be done?

I will try to get you pictures. The reason I dont want to throw away the bats is because I live in the USA. Bats are way to expensive and I just love my equipment so much!!

The handle can be cut out and replaced but you will need to send it to a bat maker with the capability to do so. UK prices for a re-handle are in the region of £30-40 although it may well be cheaper if you could get the bat to India. Don't forget to specify the number of springs you want in the handle.

Re-handling a bat is something that really needs to be done by someone with experience as you can really mess the bat up if you cut too much away around the splice.

As for the second bat if you could get some pictures it would be a great help. The biggest problem will be the heat damage as it would have made the wood very brittle, however I'll reserve full judgement until I've seen a picture if possible.

You may not be able save the entire bat but you may get a practice paddle or even a small bat for a child.

Last edited:
When I used to work for one of the big manufacturers we had a few famous faces but they tended to deal with the main master bat maker and not us little guys.

Nowadays as I said I'm very much a one man band (as well as having a proper job lol) and would only make a bat for a mate or if I need one. Still do a lot of repairs though.

As for your bat, I'd say take the toe guard off as it's not going to help much if its half off. If you want to replace it, sand the toe to remove as much left behind glue/guard (if there is any on there) and to rough up the wood, then apply a new guard as per packet instructions.

If the bat was left as a natural finish you could give it a sand down with fine grade paper and then a light oil, which should remove some of the very shallow surface cracks\marks. If it has a face (clear or fibre glass) then you'll need to get it properly sanded.

In general though surface cracks are nothing to worry about, unless they appear to run deeper into the wood. From what you're describing I'd continue to use it as and when you want as it sounds like its something reasonable to have in your bag for a back up.

Ok, thanks alot. I'll give it a sand down and an oil today. I'll also remove the toe guard, i'll probably buy another later in the month. Cheers for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread