Batting in career mode is a serious issue

wow hooker that was really fascinating analysis and makes me feel a lot better that I am always late on 90mph bowling.:yes

wow hooker that was really fascinating analysis and makes me feel a lot better that I am always late on 90mph bowling.:yes

Actually now I think about it I should be clear I was playing on legend / pro cam for that test, and the other levels prob have modified timing windows, so maybe that's why I feel differently about this issue.

My reasoning was that the concept of best timing is probably uniform between the levels, but maybe I should have a look in pro mode to see how much of a difference there is. It's definitely more forgiving.

I've only done a few shots so far but that data I get is that the deliveries from the quicks take about .7 or .8 of a sec to reach the bat, but in order to get perfect timing on a drive you have to complete your right stick movement before .25.

There are a couple of shots where I seem to be under .25 but the game still identified the contact as late (and it still went in the air in front of the bat).

if that really is true then that's simply poor design.

go to this site and test your reaction times. Human Benchmark - Reaction Time Test my average was 275ms, and that's just for clicking a mouse when I see a colour, not also making a decision on which shot I need to play on which foot.

so it's actually literally impossible to play fast bowling. not "literally" in the way people often use to exagerate, actually, for real, impossible

I don't understand all this whinging about the bowling being too fast... I'm not especially proficient at video games that require quick reactions, yet in DBC I can usually see the red/green/yellow length indicator and jam the stick back/click it when I see a short one, as well as seeing the line and picking a shot to not play across it.

It is quick and sometimes I do get beaten by it, but I never get the feeling that it is beyond human reaction times... When I had to consciously think about what controller inputs produced which shots, that would eat into the time and I'd be late on a lot more shots but now after much more practice it happens much less. I've even played people online that can comfortably attack the bowling of a fast bowler even when you hold RB to bowl a quicker one and it comes up as about 96mph on the HUD.

Moaning about your ineptitude at the game and trying to palm it off on poor design is pretty silly...

Edit - Did that test three times, my averages were 218ms first time, 211ms second and 207ms the third time.

According to that site, the average (median) is 215ms which is almost exactly what I got (average 212ms over the 15 attemps) so according to that I don't have absolutely exceptional reactions, yet I'm not finding it impossible to bat in DBC against pace bowling...

Last edited by a moderator:
if that really is true then that's simply poor design.

go to this site and test your reaction times. Human Benchmark - Reaction Time Test my average was 275ms, and that's just for clicking a mouse when I see a colour, not also making a decision on which shot I need to play on which foot.

so it's actually literally impossible to play fast bowling. not "literally" in the way people often use to exagerate, actually, for real, impossible

I don't understand all this whinging about the bowling being too fast... I'm not especially proficient at video games that require quick reactions, yet in DBC I can usually see the red/green/yellow length indicator and jam the stick back/click it when I see a short one, as well as seeing the line and picking a shot to not play across it.

It is quick and sometimes I do get beaten by it, but I never get the feeling that it is beyond human reaction times... When I had to consciously think about what controller inputs produced which shots, that would eat into the time and I'd be late on a lot more shots but now after much more practice it happens much less. I've even played people online that can comfortably attack the bowling of a fast bowler even when you hold RB to bowl a quicker one and it comes up as about 96mph on the HUD.

Moaning about your ineptitude at the game and trying to palm it off on poor design is pretty silly...

Edit - Did that test three times, my averages were 218ms first time, 211ms second and 207ms the third time.

According to that site, the average (median) is 215ms which is almost exactly what I got (average 212ms over the 15 attemps) so according to that I don't have absolutely exceptional reactions, yet I'm not finding it impossible to bat in DBC against pace bowling...

You have to keep in mind that 250 odd msec is required just for you to press the controller. Then there's additional time for the output to be displayed on the display via network (wifi, bluetooth) plus the lag introduced by TVs as part of signal processing. Easier option would be to provide a setting where users could decide when he/she gets to know the line & length.

For likes of TJ Hooker who has no problem, users can play the game on higher "reaction time" setting whereas I can choose a lower one to enjoy batting where I have enough time to judge line & length and play the shot accordingly to experience the optimal batting experience in a wonderful cricket video game. If this setting is indeed added in the future iteration of the game, it will set this game apart from any other :yes @BigAntStudios, do try to add such a setting in the future if you can, or at the very least do think about it. This setting is what would bridge the gap between casual and hardcore fans IMO.

Well we know that a slider for bowling speed will be coming in an update at some point, this pretty much solves your issue without needing to go down the route of telling you the line and length before it leaves the bowler's hand.

Well we know that a slider for bowling speed will be coming in an update at some point, this pretty much solves your issue without needing to go down the route of telling you the line and length before it leaves the bowler's hand.

But it wouldn't be fun facing Johnson bowling at 100kph though. I would rather retain the bowling speeds as they are but allow users the flexibility to tweak the bowling a bit so we can know the line & length a tad earlier.

But it wouldn't be fun facing Johnson bowling at 100kph though. I would rather retain the bowling speeds as they are but allow users the flexibility to tweak the bowling a bit so we can know the line & length a tad earlier.
So basically a bowling marker like every other cricket game... Even if it's not in the form of a big donut on the pitch you'd basically be getting that same information.

So basically a bowling marker like every other cricket game... Even if it's not in the form of a big donut on the pitch you'd basically be getting that same information.

No, not really. Donut tells you exact spot where the delivery will pitch. In this case you will only know the general line & length of the delivery, not the exact spot. Batting is all about playing a shot by judging line & length. This is what I would prefer as well. You should get just enough time to judge line & length so you don't pre-meditate. As you get better at judging line & length you can ramp up the "Reaction Time" setting so it hits your sweet spot and gives you the right sort of challenge.

No, not really. Donut tells you exact spot where the delivery will pitch. In this case you will only know the general line & length of the delivery, not the exact spot. Batting is all about playing a shot by judging line & length. This is what I would prefer as well. You should get just enough time to judge line & length so you don't pre-meditate. As you get better at judging line & length you can ramp up the "Reaction Time" setting so it hits your sweet spot and gives you the right sort of challenge.
Well a bowling marker doesn't have to tell you the exact spot, it could be a larger circle which would be similar to what you're suggesting in being a "general line & length".

Telling you the line and length in advance of the delivery, even if not exact, completely changes the feeling of batting in the game. Rather than intently watching the ball and judging its trajectory, you would be waiting for some sort of artificial cue.

It seems to go completely against what Big Ant have set out to deliver in DBC... I'm a big fan of the controls and gameplay mechanics the way they are, and I'd be disappointed if the game did start adopting those sorts of assists.

Well a bowling marker doesn't have to tell you the exact spot, it could be a larger circle which would be similar to what you're suggesting in being a "general line & length".

Telling you the line and length in advance of the delivery, even if not exact, completely changes the feeling of batting in the game. Rather than intently watching the ball and judging its trajectory, you would be waiting for some sort of artificial cue.

It seems to go completely against what Big Ant have set out to deliver in DBC... I'm a big fan of the controls and gameplay mechanics the way they are, and I'd be disappointed if the game did start adopting those sorts of assists.

If you can't judge line & length how exactly are you supposed to bat? Judging line & length to play an appropriate shot is a pre-requisite to batting else it's all pre-meditating hoping you get lucky.

The problem with earlier games was that you knew exactly where the ball would pitch before you played a shot. In this case you will get enough information to judge line & length at the time which is right for you. If it's half a second so be it, if it's 200 msec be my guest. But as a batsman you have to have enough information to do so else it's all pre-meditation coupled with button mashing or stick pressing.

If you can't judge line & length how exactly are you supposed to bat? Judging line & length to play an appropriate shot is a pre-requisite to batting else it's all pre-meditating hoping you get lucky.

The problem with earlier games was that you knew exactly where the ball would pitch before you played a shot. In this case you will get enough information to judge line & length at the time which is right for you. If it's half a second so be it, if it's 200 msec be my guest. But as a batsman you have to have enough information to do so else it's all pre-meditation coupled with button mashing or stick pressing.
The information to judge the line and length is already there - the red/green/yellow for length, and seeing the ball's path for line.

The way it all fits together creates a cohesive and immersive experience that makes you watch the ball. Having a slider to slow down the bowling or to put things in slight slo-mo during the flight of the ball maintains this sense of watching the ball and reacting to it to judge the line in the same way, so I have no problem with that. It's just giving indications before the ball leaves the bowlers hand that I am strongly against.

The way you describe it at the minute does sound quite exaggerated - even against fast bowlers in the game I am not entirely premeditating... I'm not trying to play leg glances to ones well outside off, or cut shots to full ones on my legs for instance... Sometimes I'll get caught on the front foot to a short one but that's realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
The information to judge the line and length is already there - the red/green/yellow for length, and seeing the ball's path for line.

The way it all fits together creates a cohesive and immersive experience that makes you watch the ball. Having a slider to slow down the bowling or to put things in slight slo-mo during the flight of the ball maintains this sense of watching the ball and reacting to it to judge the line in the same way, so I have no problem with that. It's just giving indications before the ball leaves the bowlers hand that I am strongly against.

The way you describe it at the minute does sound quite exaggerated - even against fast bowlers in the game I am not entirely premeditating... I'm not trying to play leg glances to ones well outside off, or cut shots to full ones on my legs for instance... Sometimes I'll get caught on the front foot to a short one but that's realistic.

It's there but there's not enough time to react to the information presented to the user. That's what I'm asking for, i.e., a "Reaction Time" setting that can be configured by the user how much time he gets to react to the information. I have to pre-meditate most of my shots but if it's possible to get the line & length info split second earlier I wouldn't need to pre-meditate.

It's there but there's not enough time to react to the information presented to the user. That's what I'm asking for, i.e., a "Reaction Time" setting that can be configured by the user how much time he gets to react to the information. I have to pre-meditate most of my shots but if it's possible to get the line & length info split second earlier I wouldn't need to pre-meditate.
Yeah I understand what you're asking for, I just strongly disagree about wanting it in the game at all and hope that Big Ant do too.

Users who are viewing this thread