Batting in career mode is a serious issue

Yeah I understand what you're asking for, I just strongly disagree about wanting it in the game at all and hope that Big Ant do too.

Dude.. you must have pretty good reflexes if you were able to judge the shot in those limited time intervals.. not everybody can.. all we ask is for an option so that guyz like us can play shots without premeditating.. balls over 140KPH is just impossible to judge at the moment..

If you are able to bat by having enough time to determine line & length and play a shot accordingly, you will enjoy yourself. The 2 sec (or maybe 1 sec) delay won't hamper your enjoyment much. Given the choice between pre-meditating most of the shots and playing with no pre-meditation but with bowling inputs provided a sec or so earlier, I would opt for the second option every day of the week. Batting should be all about judging line & length and reacting accordingly, and not pre-meditating your shot and watching the result unfold.

You do realize im also saying the same thing, yes you do need a bit of extra time to make judgment with quicks but it should be something to take the premeditation out of question, instead of adding more blatant delay which will again be variable for everyone, make it something integral part of gameplay that's what im saying, instead of bringing bowling down to improve batting or add delay that's makes the game feel not responsive atleast for people who can pick it, do something that becomes part of the game. #next_iteration

Slowing time, or adding delay,

Which is what ross is planing to do for this iteration atleast for pc i think,

attachment.php

attachment.php

Except if you are going to slow time, you might as well reduce all the Pace bowlers to medium pacers in the roster and play it, wont make much difference.

you have to feel the pace...

1. You don't get all the info as you would if you were batting in real life. It will always be a 2D picture you will see on the screen with no depth perception.

Exactly which is why i believe time is not the main enemy here, while it does add a lot to the panic.

Right now for batting you select footwork and then execute, whereas in bowling you select how well its going to be executed and then length at the last moment whereas in real life it will be different, you will chose the length first in the jump and then the how well it goes depends on the execution.

So pulling back stick for length and forward push hurling the ball with variable pace etc would be the most natural way to go forward.

It will also aid in giving the information that split second before without delaying or slowing the game which i feel is important.

Also it will give the time to actually play with how early or late the hud assist appears depending on batsman, form, his ability to pick etc so that you will be able to play and feel as different individuals in different conditions, than just your style of play whether its SRT or Agar whether its a road or minefield.

go to this site and test your reaction times. Human Benchmark - Reaction Time Test my average was 275ms

nice one, average around 220-230 with muscle memory, 240 while thing, 213 while premeditating:p

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Would it not be a good option would be to speed up the animations a bit to allow you to start the shot later? Then you have more time to react but still retain the speed.

My 2 cents

1. Be ready for a forward movement always with the left stick ready to go either to mid off or mid on
2. When the ball is bowled and if it's green, go with your right stick towards the ball ( you are going forward with the momentum in step 1)
3. Take your left stick and hit the ball in the same direction as right stick
4. If it;s a short ball, i have seen you have a second more to react so you fall back and hit it square of the wicket.

The most important part being, you find your comfort zone shots and try and earn the runs by playing the field

Yeah I understand what you're asking for, I just strongly disagree about wanting it in the game at all and hope that Big Ant do too.

I've mentioned this before by my view is that the biggest issue is trying to pick up length in time.

Having played at a reasonable standard and faced guys who had been clocked at close to 140kph my experience is that you're always able to pick up the length based on certain visual cues (such as wrist position, angle of release and slight changes in action) just a fraction of a second before you pick up line.

Never a great batsman (as my double digit batting position and single digit average attest) but I was usually able to tell if I should go forward or back more readily than I can in the game.

I feel a lot of problems could be solved if the colour of the circle indicator appeared as soon as the right stick is pulled back (as length selection is locked in at that point) with the circle then resolving itself to show line after the stick is pushed up.

This would give the player precious milliseconds to pick up the length without having to resort to more artificial means like building in lag or slowing down the bowling.

Last edited:
I've mentioned this before by my view is that the biggest issue is trying to pick up length in time.

Having played at a reasonable standard and faced guys who had been clocked at close to 140kph my experience is that you're always able to pick up the length based on certain visual cues (such as wrist position, angle of release and slight changes in action) just a fraction of a second before you pick up line.

Never a great batsman (as my double digit batting position and single digit average attest) but I was usually able to tell if I should go forward or back more readily than I can in the game.

I feel a lot of problems could be solved if the colour of the circle indicator appeared as soon as the right stick is pulled back (as length selection is locked in at that point) with the circle then resolving itself to show line after the stick is pushed up.

This would give the player precious milliseconds to pick up the length without having to resort to more artificial means like building in lag or slowing down the bowling.
Yeah I somewhat agree regarding being able to judge the length from the bowler's timing/action, although I think showing it when the right stick goes down is much too early, perhaps only a fraction of a second before it leaves his hand.

It's a slippery slope though - if you start adding clear assists for line and length, it could end up being 'DBC 14 - Cricket 07 Edition'...

It's a slippery slope though - if you start adding clear assists for line and length, it could end up being 'DBC 14 - Cricket 07 Edition'...

Well currently I'm batting vs quick bowlers by fixating on the first fractions of a second of the appearance of a flashy coloured circle, and trying to get the right response out before the business end of the delivery I'm supposed to be watching to respond to has actually happened. To me this is not clearly or intrinsically less like a quicktime game or less naturalistic than a donut system, especially a hypothetical on-release donut but with DBC deliveries and controls.

The reverse batting camera thing is something that I've always thought was the only correct approach. Anybody who wants to bat the wrong way around is clearly mental.

By contrast whether you slow deliveries down more or give earlier assists to manage shot selection time is not a choice I see as having a right or wrong option. Each has gameplay possibilities that are problematic via the other system.

On a different hypothetical note, I really think some proper in-game batting coaching would help. Show people what a drive ball looks like and help them get the feel of the controls with some guided repetition and they'll be much quicker finding the shot in a match.

Yeah I somewhat agree regarding being able to judge the length from the bowler's timing/action, although I think showing it when the right stick goes down is much too early, perhaps only a fraction of a second before it leaves his hand.

How early you see line & length is based on individual's slider setting and a factor of the person's reflexes or gaming experience. If you are fine with how things are you can leave the "Reaction Time" slider setting as default or a higher setting. I don't think it will change anything for folks who prefer the game the way it is, but for bunch of folks who are finding playing shots based on line & length impossible and have to rely on pre-meditation, it would be the way to enjoy the game even more.

Just because folks can tailor the game to their preferences and gaming experience doesn't make the game a "Cricket 07 Edition" but ensuring majority of folks (especially the casual gamers) are alienated by the game may lead to end of the franchise. I repeat that most folks prefer batting in a cricket video game and the primary tenet of the batting is to be able to judge line & length and play a shot accordingly. If folks can't do that, it's not a realistic batting or cricketing experience. All I'm asking for is a way to ensure all cricket gaming fans - casual & hardcore - can enjoy the game instead of going "The game is great but I've shelved it coz batting is all about pre-meditation".

----------

Except if you are going to slow time, you might as well reduce all the Pace bowlers to medium pacers in the roster and play it, wont make much difference.

you have to feel the pace...

I don't think you got what I said. I'm not "slowing time" but all for providing the line & length info a tad earlier so folks can bat without pre-meditation. It will not "slow time" or "pace". If you like the current batting experience, nothing will change for you and you can bat the way you do now but for others like me, we would use the "Reaction Time" slider to a lower setting so we have enough time, which we feel comfortable in judging line & length, to bat without pre-meditation. In other words all this setting would do is for users to see the line & length info fraction of a second earlier. Your enjoyment will not be hampered as nothing will change and you can continue to bat at the default or a high "Reaction Time" setting.

Last edited:
If people are struggling with reacting to the pace bowling, it has already been mentioned about setting them to medium pacers but has anyone tried reducing the arm speed of the bowlers? I seem to remember this being linked to bowling speed. Maybe give that a try??

I have an idea

I think this would be a great thing if

Suppose the batsman is new at the crease for him the game speed will go at current speed. As the batsman gradually getting set in the crease he will see the ball come a bit slower and have extra 0.25-30 secs to react than a new batsman.

This way a set batsman have extra advantage of playing proper shots compare to new batsman. And the confidence meter will come into play.

If people are struggling with reacting to the pace bowling, it has already been mentioned about setting them to medium pacers but has anyone tried reducing the arm speed of the bowlers? I seem to remember this being linked to bowling speed. Maybe give that a try??

Reducing arm speed is an option as long as you are able to get the line & length info as part of the slowed down arm movement. However, reducing the bowling speed would detract from the game. I mean nobody would want to see likes of Lee, Malinga, Johnson, Starc bowling at 100 kph.

Last edited:
I've hit the nets to face some fast bowling on pro; and with my lowly skilled bowling allrounder I've come up with a solid gameplan.

Just pre-meditate going on the front foot -so keep the left analogue trigger up before the ball is bowled- have the bumpers pressed down for what you want to do -defend, loft, etc- and then just pick a shot as soon as you can read the line.

The only two problems you will have is playing the short-of-a-length 'good length' balls, as they could fly in the air, or the short ball.

But even the short balls tend to get pulled on the front foot (on pro), or you can just sway away from them. Or take the blow.

To avoid getting caught hitting uppishly on attacking shots, have a finger on the lower left 'defence' shot bumper at all time. If it is the right line and length for the shot you wish to play, press down the right and left bumpers for attacking ground shot/don't press any bumpers for the normal shot, and play the shot (all while already on the front foot). If it's not in the zone to hit, just press on the defensive shot bumper and block it.

Works alright for FC cricket when run-rate isn't such an issue. You are basically deciding before the ball is bowled what your shot options are, based on the field and what you are comfortable playing, and once the ball is released you play the shot if it's in your zone(s), and if it isn't you defend. Feels very realistic. Oh, and you are pressing forward without knowing the length of the ball - which is what many real life batsmen do when faced with high speeds. Only the really gifted can choose to go back or forward when faced with a 140kmph+ bowler. It's what makes facing quick bowling such a challenge.

Luckily this game doesn't penalise you for getting hit, so short balls really aren't that much of a problem unless you are trying to score quick.

Keep in mind though, all this worked for me in the nets. Come match time I was promptly bowled out for a two ball duck by Ryan Sidebottom bowling at 133 kmph.

I am reaching an epiphany when it comes to batting, not perhaps in terms of consistently hitting high scores, but rather in terms of how cleanly and promptly I am playing the ball. I thought I'd share what I've learned.

Most people's first reaction would be to track the ball somewhere between release and and where your batsman is stood - usually this will be the pitch of the ball. The problem with this is the additional time needed to track the ball added on to the time needed to mentally process the trajectory of the ball. Another problem is that the on-screen batsman becomes a distracted focus because of having to co-ordinate the trajectory in relation to him. I don't blame people for this, since coaching for the real game makes us think this way - to watch the ball.

The above works in a real world with actual depth of space to perceive but not in the world of flat screen TVs with refresh rates and video games. Besides it's redundant information for a couple of simple reasons.

• The green/yellow/red ring already tells you the trajectory including any deviations along its path.
  • You've taken guard. You know where your batsman is

So I went to the nets and had a really good think as to how I can improve my reactions. The solution was simple. Instead of tracking the ball, I decided to purely keep my eyes focused on the release point of the bowling machine and forget where it's going to land, since I already know this information because of the way the ball is presented to us. At no point should I look anywhere else until the ball is played.

The results were startling to me. Not only was I making quicker decisions, they were instinctive too. Since my eyes were already in the right place, the ball and coloured ring just popped out at me. Because I was focused on release, it meant that my swing was timed within exactly the right window more consistently. Furthermore, footwork and shot selection became a more instinctive process for me. There were no distractions other than the release, so the rest just kind of followed automatically.

Now instead of hitting 30-35/60 with a liberal amount of edges and misses, I am hitting around 55/60 off the machine with only a couple of edges. In my first actual match doing this I hit 35 off 22, but it felt comfortable. I was hitting more boundaries and making solid contact more often. I only got out in the end due to eventual impatience and I hit an inappropriate shot.

So what are your thought on this? Does anyone else do this? It's certainly been an enlightening morning for me.

I think the key, like anything in cricket, is find something that works for YOU and apply it. Your technique is pretty close to the way I play the game, with mine being a little more erratic. A lot of it comes down to your choice of camera as well, I prefer Batsman-Far from behind, others close in and so forth.

What this game beautifully recreates is there's not one rule for all, which is the same in real cricket. Your technique and approach to the games challenges are different from mine, and so forth. There's no magic trick to batting, no cheat, no quick way to nail it. It's just practice and finding something that works for you within the rules and the skills you bring...

Some shots are easier to execute for me, might be difficult for you... Again, just like real cricket.

It's what makes the game great.

I average around 40 in T20, First Class and List A. Once you get use to the game its fine.

Users who are viewing this thread