Batting in career mode is a serious issue

I've had Yellow deliveries pitch in the bowlers half

I've only seen that happen in online, never in Career. Were you playing career or arcade mode?

I don't play with any color indicators or anything like that, though.

Cool, well. That would help you if you did turn them on.

Wouldn't you rather being able to play the game properly over how it looks though?

I want it to be as immersive as it can possibly be, as with any game.

Comparing nets to matches is like comparing apples to rubber ducks. ;)

I face a million balls in the nets(exaggeration I know), and I can hit most of them on ideal timing, only ones I miss are the wides down leg.

The bowling machine is not trying to get you out, the artificial surface is even, and the bounce is uniform. No one there to catch you neither. Furthermore you know exactly where and when the ball is released because it is a machine, and the batsman is under no pressure. You don't have to take confidence into account.

But come matchtime, my highest score on career has been 9, in probably a dozen matches, so about 12-15 innings.

The bowler is trying to take wickets, the pitch is varied, and the bounce can be uneven. Your batsman is low skilled and you are under pressure. Also due to the bowler's run-up you have to manually determine the release point of the ball, so there can be more error. Your batsman is fresh and confidence needs to build. You need to play yourself in and accept that due to your batsman's low skill level that high scores will be unrealistic for you until you can play each delivery correctly each time.

Comparing nets to matches is like comparing apples to rubber ducks. ;)

The bowling machine is not trying to get you out, the artificial surface is even, and the bounce is uniform. No one there to catch you neither. Furthermore you know exactly where and when the ball is released because it is a machine, and the batsman is under no pressure. You don't have to take confidence into account.

The bowler is trying to take wickets, the pitch is varied, and the bounce can be uneven. Your batsman is low skilled and you are under pressure. Also due to the bowler's run-up you have to manually determine the release point of the ball, so there can be more error. Your batsman is fresh and confidence needs to build. You need to play yourself in and accept that due to your batsman's low skill level that high scores will be unrealistic for you until you can play each delivery correctly each time.

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense. I'll give it a few months so I get used to it then. It's only been a week.

Luckily bowling has come to me naturally. It's pretty instinctive, so I really enjoy that part of the game.

I'm playing on legend / pro cam / no marker at the mo. It's tough but playable.

Veteran, close camera and length indicator/trail enabled for me at the minute and I find it quite challenging. Hoping to be able to go up to Legend fairly soon and perhaps at some point, but I feel that the marker/trail compensate for the lack of 3D perception, although I may try disabling them at some point in the future.

What is your player's current average?

I only decided to switch the marker off again last night. Since then I'm probably averaging 20 something, if you discount some post-dismissal rage slogging.

I'll certainly be trying to mod the timing windows a little later to suit batting at these settings myself if I get chance, though. It's rock hard.

The marker bugs me in principle because it's quicktimey. As inertSpark was saying earlier, you're probably best served by fixating on the marker as if the ball wasn't there, and that's pretty much the opposite of the "you're really watching the ball like real cricket!" angle. Plus I was getting out sometimes because I was conflicted over whether I was watching the ball or obeying the marker.

I've been taking wheel pics because I'm still trying to work out the best batting strategy, and I wanted to look at the sort of batting experience I'm having in DBC now I'm 200 hours in.

These innings are from about an hour and a half playing this morning, career / legend / pro cam / no marker. I made a few low scores as well but I fancy my chances of getting into the 20s if I'm batting properly, and I generally score at around a run a ball unless I'm really having trouble with someone.

http://s15.postimg.org/d5kuiwbbf/image.png
http://s30.postimg.org/86lsucc5d/image.png
http://s1.postimg.org/amor95p8f/image.png
http://s29.postimg.org/4c3l6fd6f/image.png
http://s7.postimg.org/m6nuyh9jf/image.png

Sticking around to make big scores is seriously tricky but I think that's fair enough for the hardest setting in the game.

Pre-medidating / anticipating is an issue against the fast bowlers, but to an extent that depends on your reaction time / the level you're playing on, and it's an issue in real cricket so it certainly should be a factor somewhere in the mix.

There are some shots that you can only accomplish in real life with a degree of premeditation. Quoting KP on this :

It was one of those shots when the bowler is running up and you?re anticipating ? and sometimes anticipation leads you down the wrong path ? and that ball ? having anticipated from the way that Dale ran in and from what I?d done previously and how the mindset was and the state of the game ? it was one of those balls that I just knew the shot to play, I just thought, this is the only ball that he can bowl and the only ball that he?s going to bowl, and I had the shot pre-planned in my head, and it hit the middle of the bat and it just looked so? slow in the way it just? went.

Kevin Pietersen's Top Five Test Innings | Headingley 2012

DBC isn't perfect and there are quirks in the system, but it gets loads of stuff right and it's a more authentic game of cricket than I'd have ever expected from EA or the Ashes series.

It really is all about spotting the marker, you're quite right. And what you say about anticipation against quicks it true also. It's almost the reverse of what you would do against the mediums, where the marker aids the shot selection. Against the quicks it's possible to predetermine your shot, and the marker serves to help decide whether to commit to the risk or whether to leave the ball. That's basically all you can do, since the reaction window of opportunity is so tight.

I think an important point is that there's a big difference between premeditating a single shot and premeditating with options.

Premeditating a defensive shot by holding the right trigger, but with a plan B in mind to let go of the trigger and attack if the ball is outside off stick, for instance, is really just smart batting, and exactly the sort of strategy players use in real life when faced with genuine pace.

The only thing that I have a problem with batting is that I'm a number 5 normally. I barely get to bat in most T20 or 50 over games as the ones ahead of me don't get out. Is there a way to lower the difficulty of my team and/or raise the AI?

Ok well I'm really glad I decided to retry on legend / pro cam / no marker today because I just made a hundred. 100 from 67 balls, finished 109 from 79.

I honestly thought prior to switching the marker off that it was just going to be too difficult to be fun, but I'm enjoying things way more without the damn thing. It's much, much more like real batting. Different game, even.

I was a bit more limited in my shot selection than I normally am as I was really trying to hang around and get a score, but it's still a reasonably good spread of strokes. No cuts though as that shot is just too dicey with anyone in at point / gully.

I got a touch nervous when I got into the 70s, and a lot of the things I was thinking - about not getting out in a careless way missing a straight one or slapping a bad ball straight to a fielder - is the same sort of stuff I used to think when I was 70 or 80 not out in real life.

Conclusion = DBC pro cam / no hud absolutely rocks for realism, and it's definitely playable. It's already as a good a game as I could have optimistically expected, and there's loads and loads more potential.

I'd love to see 1st person fielding and bowling as well.

109.png

I want it to be as immersive as it can possibly be, as with any game.

Cool, well it's going to be harder to play then. Just like turning off the Map in Assasins Creed makes it infinitely more difficult to navigate. It's a player choice, you have the option.

Users who are viewing this thread