Batting in career mode is a serious issue

I find playing fast bowling in nets little easy because the bowling machine turns in the direction where the ball is going to come from. Following this principle, how about a glimpse into the bowler hand and grip in a small PIP on top corner. Based off the grip, we can get an idea of the bowl just like in cricket. For tailEnders this view could be reduced in some fashion to mimic real talent. As you get in to form the view could also become clearer.

Yeah I somewhat agree regarding being able to judge the length from the bowler's timing/action, although I think showing it when the right stick goes down is much too early, perhaps only a fraction of a second before it leaves his hand.

It's a slippery slope though - if you start adding clear assists for line and length, it could end up being 'DBC 14 - Cricket 07 Edition'...

I agree that the push back on the RAS would be a very iearly indicator on average. What I would like to see happen is open up the "window" in which the indicator appears with the actual appearance of the indicator within that window determined by factors such as the batsman's ability, form and confidence.

So a Tindoolkar batting on 220* in the middle of a purple patch might see the length as soon as the delivery stride starts (pull back on the RAS) while Chris Martin in an Ali Cook 2014 run of form might not see it until the ball is about to crash into his stumps/head.

Would be a relatively simple and elegant way to reward playing yourself in and building confidence and to highlight the difference between a proper batsman and a tailender's ability to "see the ball early".

I would suggest everyone to turn off aerial marker for bowling and face some deliveries in the nets. Found the marker to be a distraction and also can play to line of the ball better. Batting feels more realistic to me now. just my opinion :)

I must agree here, career mode seems bugged, or something.

I face a million balls in the nets(exaggeration I know), and I can hit most of them on ideal timing, only ones I miss are the wides down leg. But come matchtime, my highest score on career has been 9, in probably a dozen matches, so about 12-15 innings.

In normal competitions I can make 300+ with teams in ODIs and tests with good regularity. But in career I cannot get a decent innings together. So something definitely needs looking at. Bowling I'm fine with, I can take 1 to 4 wickets every innings, at a realistic run rate concession.

I don't play with markers or anything, I just play with the ball in sight, nothing else. In the nets, I can almost feel what I need to do. But when I see the ball in the match, I just cannot get it right, even though I am using the exact same methodology.

Just my 2 cents.

I face a million balls in the nets(exaggeration I know), and I can hit most of them on ideal timing,

Where you're playing as Don Bradman

come matchtime, my highest score on career has been 9

Where you're a lowly skilled player starting out his career.

Where you're playing as Don Bradman

Where you're a lowly skilled player starting out his career.

LOL. In the net practice in the career mode screen, you play as yourself, and your skills build up as well.

You are thinking of the practice screen from the main menu, which is not what I'm referring to.

I think the best solution would be to enable us to separate the two's difficulty levels, i.e. you can bowl on Pro, and bat on Amateur. Bowling is way too easy on amateur for me, on Pro it feels just right, but batting is not possible.

Last edited:
I bat OK on amateur, but struggle big time on Pro. Simply put its all about reflexes and at 59 they are pretty shaky for me. :noway

All most of us older players ask is that the current strategy of the game automatically up grading the skill level on career mode be given an option to hold at what ever the player has chosen. For example if you want to play at amateur you would set the option to continue at that level UNTIL you choose to change the skill level not the game change it, as is the case now.

Also this game is very frustrating to those players having trouble mastering the batting.
(1) Getting hit anywhere on the pads is automatically out. Got hit outside the leg stump with the ball clearly pitching outside the leg stump and was given out. Went to review and though the review clearly showed and identified the ball pitching out side the line of leg stump was given out. Is that possible under the rules?
(2) You can pummel the AI players pads until they are black and blue but they will always be not out unless absolutely dead plum and sometimes not even then. ie players sweeping hit on back leg in from of stumps, never out!
(3) Every swing and a miss from the human player is a edge and always out

I guess what I'm saying is that perhaps on the lower levels of ability a little more 'benefit' of the doubt could be given and less ruthlessness from the game.:rolleyes

Neil W

I agree batting is hard , probably too hard but...

1. Very rarely get given out lbw and never once when it wasn't really out.

2. Got about 50 lbw so far with my all rrounder part way through his first season. If you aren't getting them . you are doing it wrong. It's not a conspiracy.

3. Certainly more human edges than ai by a fair margin.

I must agree here, career mode seems bugged, or something.

I face a million balls in the nets(exaggeration I know), and I can hit most of them on ideal timing, only ones I miss are the wides down leg. But come matchtime, my highest score on career has been 9, in probably a dozen matches, so about 12-15 innings.

One thing to be clear about: in the nets, your perfectly timed shots can't go to hand, because there's no hand to go to.

I'm certain that many of the catches I've given have been off "ideally" timed shots, it's just that they've been ideally timed towards a fielder.

Placement is the key, which relates to not only the RAS direction but the footwork and the timing as well - sometimes you want to hit it a little late.

All that being said, post patch 2 I find the ball going in the air when it absolutely, no question, shouldn't - if the graphical representation means anything at all.

I've posted this before:

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to be clear about: in the nets, your perfectly timed shots can't go to hand, because there's no hand to go to.

I'm certain that many of the catches I've given have been off "ideally" timed shots, it's just that they've been ideally timed towards a fielder.

Placement is the key, which relates to not only the RAS direction but the footwork and the timing as well - sometimes you want to hit it a little late.

All that being said, post patch 2 I find the ball going in the air when it absolutely, no question, shouldn't - if the graphical representation means anything at all.

I've posted this before:

That video is another pain in the game for me, whenever I actually manage to hit one.

Regarding my dismissals, they've mostly been inside edges onto wicket, caught behind, clean bowled or LBW. In matches, I hardly even manage to hit a block shot properly, never mind giving a catching opportunity.

Yet in the nets, with my CAREER player, I hit it solidly most of the time. Something is different. And in the nets I also wait until I see the ball first.

Does anyone know if there's gonna be a patch to address these issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
but batting is not possible.

Whereas I think batting is much improved/easier after Patch 2 and is balanced nicely against bowling, which I find much harder in Pro and nicely balanced in Amateur. It's not a bug, it's just different people finding things different. Doesn't need "fixing" because that's what cricket is all about. You're not going to find a "unicorn" spot where you instantly find both things easier but still challenging. No game will do that. You're always going to have a weakness, doesn't matter whether you're playing Pong or DBC14.

Whereas I think batting is much improved/easier after Patch 2 and is balanced nicely against bowling, which I find much harder in Pro and nicely balanced in Amateur. It's not a bug, it's just different people finding things different. Doesn't need "fixing" because that's what cricket is all about. You're not going to find a "unicorn" spot where you instantly find both things easier but still challenging. No game will do that. You're always going to have a weakness, doesn't matter whether you're playing Pong or DBC14.

You still need to be able to play the ball on its merits, by first judging where it is going before playing a shot. Now you have to play the ball literally as it leaves the hand, in other words before you have any idea where it's going, which is not realistic at ALL, whichever way you cut it. The way medium fast is played, is the way fast need to be played - just enough time to actually know what you're doing. At the moment it's either guesswork, or your timing is way too late.

Now you have to play the ball literally as it leaves the hand

Which you get told with the colour indicators and the comet-trail as it travels through the air? It's not guesswork, you just have to watch the ball. Yes, it's much harder against pace and yes, when deliveries come at you at 150kmph it's REALLY hard. That's often what I find online against a good bowler or the AI pace bowlers during a test. ODI and T20 matches on the other hand, I'm getting on top of them as my career player progresses and gets more skill points.

There's always going to be an element of guessing because of the hand-eye-coordination of a human being is going to differ from person to person, same reason why some people are better at ball sports than others. It's all what you see, and how you react to it in the time you're given. I think if you need more time, drop down a skill level. It's what I plan on doing when I re-start my career on PC.

Which you get told with the colour indicators and the comet-trail as it travels through the air?

Bear in mind, the colour indicators are occasionally misleading - prior to patch 2, at least, I've had Yellow deliveries pitch in the bowlers half.

I turned them off precisely because of that.

And a note for all, in a different thread where I posted that video Ross said it's a graphical problem not a physics one - the graphics don't always match exactly what's happening under the hood.

So I probably played that shot early, hence poking it back to the bowler.

I don't play with any color indicators or anything like that, though. Not even the trail. Just the ball. Playing with the indicators and so on, makes it almost as unrealistic as having to play the shot before the bowler's release. ;)

Real batsmen don't average 50+ by having to pre-empt every shot. All I'm asking is for a slight window to actually judge the ball, as real batsmen do. The other problem as well is the fact that when batting, the body movements are instinctive, and you are basically born with it. Granted, accuracy of shots etc. is trained, but natural movement to the ball is 2nd nature. Playing with a pad to mimic the same movements is not. So we need a bit of time to do judge it.

It's not too much to ask to delay the ideal timing to 0.1 or 0.15 seconds later, or whatever the right amount might be, that will make a world of change. Thus, you would be able to judge shots a whole lot more realistically, instead of pre-meditating all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread