Battle of the Australians: Bill Brown vs Hugh Trumble

7-0 to Miller. An interesting stat is that Miller was never hit for a six in his test bowling career. Can someone confirm this?

Round 1: Battle 17

Clarrie Grimmett

Test: 37 matches,
557 runs @ 13.92, 1 50 | 216 wickets @ 24.21, 21 5-wicket hauls, 7 10-wicket hauls

009734.jpg

vs

Matthew Hayden

Test: 84 matches, 7326 runs @ 53.08, 26 100s, 26 50s
ODI: 121 matches, 4234 runs @ 40.32, 5 100s, 27 50s

60901.jpg

Grimmet. Great Leggie, terrific player. Only bowled 1 no-ball in his whole life. Quite a legend.

Grimmet For me as well, a true legend of the game, and I just love the story of how batsman came to read his flipper through the click of his fingers, so he clicked his other hand on every ball to hide it.

Must say I am quite surprised so many people who voted on the last one didn't seem to know much about Miller, some Aussies try and claim he is the greatest all-rounder in the history of the game... they are wrong of course because everyone knows it Sobers, but that's for another time :p

Only bowler to take over 200 wickets in fewer than 40 tests, quite fantastic and so I'm going for the leggie Grimmett.

Hayden is an excellent opener, I'm not saying he isn't, however Grimmett has had more of an impact on the world of cricket.

Matthew Hayden, biased yeah. His my favourite player but I think opening the batting with an average of 50+ is just... incrediable. More so then batting at 3 or 4.

All in all, Opening the batting & having to contend with the new ball and succeeding with a heavier work load & a much stronger domestic competition I think is more impressive then someone who bowls spin on more so a bowling wicket (or so I've heard it was like back in the day) after the pace bowlers have done their stuff. Not to forget he made 20 centuries in his first 55 matches.

Lol never heard of either hmmm. I'll go Lindsay Hassett with his 10 100s and 11 50s which is a good effort.

I think I'll vote McCabe in this one. The man's FC record is amazing, on top of his test record, which is pretty impressive as well. But the one thing that really tops it off for me is this paragraph in his cricinfo profile:

Perhaps McCabe's most famous innings was his 232 not out in the opening Test against England at Trent Bridge in 1938 which, scored at the rate of one a minute, prompted Sir Donald Bradman, his captain, to greet him on his return to the pavilion with the words: If I could play an innings like that, I'd be a proud man, Stan.

McCabe for me too. Same reasons as above, although I heard that phrase before reading his profile. Hassett was good, but McCabe had great talent.

McCabe for me. Looked on cricinfo and he averaged 43 in the bodyline series, which is excellent. Good batting averages in both Tests and FC games, and he got some wickets in his time as well.

3-1 to McCabe.

Round 1: Battle 19

Bill Ponsford

Test: 29 matches, 2122 runs @ 48.22, 7 100s, 6 50s

57721.jpg

vs

Michael Hussey

Test: 11 matches, 1139 runs @ 75.93, 4 100s, 4 50s
ODI: 48 matches, 1388 runs @ 77.11, 1 100, 9 50s

68677.jpg

This is one of those times where I strongly urge people to look at the players' profiles before they vote.

Ponsford. A legend. Hussey is one of my favourites, a great batsman, but not a legend. Not yet.

Ponsford

Similar reasons to Zorax really, this guy has finished his career so he can be judged appropriately, whilst Hussey has only just finished a year of cricket. Fair enough that in 4 years time it might be Hussey winning this vote, but at the moment its Ponsford for me.

Users who are viewing this thread