Generation Draft - COMPLETED!!

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
WHOA! Great stuff guys! I'll have a look in the XI's in a minute, but super stuff!

Damn - I was hoping to snag Morris as well :p Luckily, I've got 2 back-up plans - one's pretty straightforward and the other's a bit left-field. Will decide once Crew makes his picks.

----------

Will do the writeups later but, surprised why Shravi thought Kanhai would be picked as a Wk. He's only played 3 matches as a wk. NVM, I got a fantastic number 3.

Yeah, agree with that. He wasn't a wicket-keeper - and his stats are terrible for the 3 matches he did. Still, can't complain too much about Harvey.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I'm not complaining either. :p I didn't really think I will get such a number 3. I'm liking my team. But, that's the case always. :D

Crew of Black

Club Cricketer
Ok here are my final picks

81153.1.jpg

Maurice Leyland

If it all turns to...well you know what, this was the man that came in and tried to save the day for his team. One of the most interesting characters in the game with a not to shabby batting average of 46. Maurice Leyland may not individually stand out above other players of his era, but the ability to resurrect the innings, is too hard to refute his selection, his self depreciating humour leads to the irony of his selection in that he was the only decent left hander left.

18314.1.jpg

Godfrey Evans

Rated as arguably the greatest pure wicketkeeper of them all, a fairly decent bat as well with 2 hundreds to his name. Evans was one of the few who mastered the art of wicketkeeping. However his greatest contribution to his side, and the main reason for his selection was his ability to lift the morale and energise the fielders around him to perform at their best, this ability only helps further strengthen the resolve of my selected squad.

My XI with another change in the order :p

1. Arthur Shrewbury (1277 Runs Ave 35.47)
2. Bill Ponsford (2122 Runs Ave 48.22)
3. Chalie MacCartney (2131 Runs Ave 41.78) (45 Wickets Ave 27.55)
4. Sir Frank Worrell * (3860 Runs Ave 49.48) (69 Wickets Ave 38.72)
5. Clive Lloyd (7515 Runs Ave 46.67)
6. Maurice Leyland (2764 Runs Ave 46.06)
7. Sir Richard Hadlee (3124 Runs Ave 27.16) (431 Wickets Ave 22.29)
8. Godfrey Evans + (2439 Runs Ave 20.49) (219 Dismissals)
9. Shane Warne (3154 Runs Ave 17.32) (708 Wickets Ave 25.41)
10. Fred Spofforth (217 Runs Ave 9.43) (94 Wickets Ave 18.41)
11. Bill O'Reilly (410 Runs Ave 12.81) (144 Wickets Ave 22.59)

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Hah, good picks mate :thumbs Was hoping you would have forgotten Evans :p

Just thinking of who to pick now. Got 2 keepers in mind, an opener, and surprisingly, a bowler. Hmmm. Think Smurf.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
66675.jpg

Clarrie Grimmett

Well, there we go. I wanted a leg-spinner. Got one of the best in history. 11 wickets on debut, fastest to reach 200 Test scalps, Wisden cricketer of the year 1930, Australian Cricket Hall of Fame, ICC Cricket Hall of Fame, inventor of the flipper....the list goes on and on. All achieved after debuting in his 30's.

He had perfect control, and possessed all the tools. Leg-break, googly, topspinner, and when that wasn't enough, he invented the flipper. When the new delivery got decoded, he had the brains to throw batsmen off by snapping his left fingers while bowling a leg-break. Plus, he bustled through his overs. The fast bowlers on the other end (before O'Reilly) usually complained to the skipper that they could rarely take a breather between overs. Not sure how accurate this is, but cricinfo claims it only took him one minute to deliver 6 deliveries. Thankfully, I've got the perfect man in my XI already who knew how to manage the workload of bowlers around Grimmett - the great tactician, Monty Noble.

For being one the greatest leggies in history, Claire Grimmett makes my XI with final stats of:

Matches: 37
Wickets: 217
Average: 24.21

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

waite_1929862b.jpg

John Waite

First South African to play 50 Tests. The greatest keeper his country has produced, he made the cricinfo SA XI. Has over 140 Test dismissals, the best of his generation, and broke the world record for most dismissals in a series. Twice. He was so good in fact, that he forced his mentor, Russell Endean, to reinvent himself as a batsman to stay in the XI.

Wasn't too shabby with the bat either - over 2000 runs and 4 Test tons to his name, with 76 on debut. An ideal No.7.

For being the greatest keepers of his generation, and arguably the best his country has produced, John Waite makes my XI with final stats of:

Matches: 50
Runs: 2405
Average: 30.44

Catches: 124
Stumpings: 17

The Papa XI:
1) Joe Darling (c)
2) Wilfred Rhodes
3) Wally Hammond
4) Sir Everton Weekes
5) Zaheer Abbas
6) Monty Noble (vc)
7) John Waite (wk)
8) Wasim Akram
9) Clarrie Grimmett
10) Dennis Lillee
11) Charlie Turner

----------

Phowar!

In order to fit in Grimmett, I had to promote Rhodes to open. Not a bad move as that was by far his favorite position, and he scored all his Test tons while opening. And I think I have the most complete attack, that will easily take 20 wickets in any conditions, against any line-up. Charles 'the Terror Turner', the first 'unplayable bowler', will share the new ball with arguably the greatest fast bowler to play the game, Dennis Lillee. At first change, I've got the greatest left-arm fast bowler ever, Wasim Akram, whose exploits with the old ball are well known. Plus, he covers Lillee's poor record in the sub-continent.

Then to the spin department. I've got a dangerous leggie, and one of the most profilic left-arm spinners in combination. Grimmett debuted after the age of 30 and bowled lightning quick bowlers, while Rhodes played for over 30 years. So, they've got the stamina to bowl long spells if the pitch is a pancake. Plus, they'll compliment each other well. One making the ball dance in the air, the other turning it miles off the pitch. All backed up by Monty - who can bowl either off-spin or medium pace, depending on the situation, conditions and batsman. So, I've got all bases covered - 4 seamers and 2 spinners, or 3 seamers with 3 spinners. Good luck trying to score off that - a consistent threat through-out the innings, with new ball and old, in any pitch.

The batting line-up is not as strong as I would have liked, but it's more than enough considering my attack. Opening is a right-left combination, with one being gritty, and the other being daring, but controlled. They should set up a platform for what is a beast of a middle-order - Wally, Weekes and Abbas. The class speaks for itself, but so do the volumes of runs. Backed up by the best all-rounder of his time, Monty Noble. Has the ability to attack and defend, depending on the situation, and has the potential to save an innings if there is a collapse. Waites wasn't shabby with the bat either, and Akram provides the x-factor down the order. Grimmett and Lillee both have 50's to their name, so make semi-decent No.9 and 10. Turner may as well not bother turning up to the crease - a typical No.11 :p

All led by one of the most influential skippers in the pre-war era. And to help him out, one of the greatest tacticians to have played the game. And the team works well - Darling and Noble played together, as did Noble and Grimmett. One of Wally's worst nightmares was Grimmett, so no worry for him. And there's variety (somewhat :p) - 5 Aussies, 2 English, 2 Paki, 1 West Indian and 1 Protea.

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Yeah, agree with that. He wasn't a wicket-keeper - and his stats are terrible for the 3 matches he did. Still, can't complain too much about Harvey.

I know he wasn't but I remember in the World Cup Draft or one of the other drafts 2 people picked AB and Dravid as their keeper.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
i'd orginally planned on going for evans but the openers mccabe and morris being hoovered up meant I had to look to the other era. great pick, under-rated player in the history of cricket.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My picks are Denis Lindsay(WK) and Kumar Shri Duleepsinhji (How the hell did he managed to stay under the radar so far:eek::eek:)

Phil Mead.

022269.jpg

Only Jack Hobbs, Frank Woolley and Patsy Hendren have made more first-class runs than Phil Mead (55,061), and nobody has made more for one team than the 48,892 he piled up for Hampshire pretty much sums up the fact that he was a run machine. For his 27 seasons for Hampshire, he averaged astonishing 2000+ runs per season.
He was unique in his own way and everything about his batting was like a ritual from the time he steps into the ground.
John Arlott sums it up best -
At the fall of Hampshire's second wicket he would emerge from the pavilion with a peculiar rolling gait, his sloping shoulders, wide hips and heavy, bowed legs giving him the bottom-heavy appearance of those lead-based, won't-fall-down dolls of our childhood. Leathery complexioned, with a long nose, a wry expression and eyes which seemed always to be screwed up against the sun, he had a semi-comic air: but he was a very serious batsman. At the crease, he went through precisely the same ritual before every ball was bowled to him. First he touched his cap four times to short-leg (whether that fieldsman was there or not) then he tapped his bat four times in the crease and, finally, took four small, shuffling strides up to it. Then, and only then, the bowler might bowl: if he tried to do so before the ritual was completed, Philip stepped away from his stumps and, when the bowler stopped, started the whole procedure over again. He wore out some dozens of cap-peaks in his time, and - "I know it sometimes held them up; but is used to put some of the hasty ones off, and I shouldn't have felt happy if I hadn't done it."

He rarely used to go after the ball when there is no need. He was in a sense "The Wall" of that era. But he got the silken timing that almost all the left handers in cricket's history magically inherit in their DNA. He does just enough to make the ball cross the boundary. He was considered a slow scorer because of his clumsiness, whereas in truth he as just scoring runs without much effort.

For several years before he retired he was so crippled by rheumatism and backache that he could barely stoop to lace his boots. Yet in 1927 he scored 1257 runs in 14 innings @125.

It was Mead's dishearteningly broad bat that changed Maurice Tate from a slow offspinner to a pace bowler. In desperation, against that unwavering defence, one afternoon at Horsham, Tate gathered all his energy and flung down the first quick ball he had ever bowled in all his life. It pitched on Mead's off-stump, made hurry off the pitch and flicked away the leg bail. So Tate described it; thirty years later, Mead, unprompted, confirmed the description. "A pretty good ball, Philip?" "Not half: a real trimmer: mind, I don't say I wouldn't have played it if I'd expected him to bowl fast ... but, yes, it was a good 'un."

"Did you say anything to him, Philip?"

"What? Me? 'Course I didn't. I never encouraged bowlers."

That might be Philip Mead's epitaph as a cricketer: pre-eminently among all the men who ever wielded a bat, he never encouraged bowlers.

----------

Javed Miandad.​
Six%2Bon%2Bthe%2Blast%2Bball%2Bby%2Bjaved%2Bmiandad.jpg
Without a doubt he was the greatest batsman ever produced by Pakistan. Even though his techniques was not classical but he somehow managed to evaluate the situation and finds a way out of it. He got a beautiful square cut as well as a reverse-sweep and some other pretty unorthodox shots. His avg never fell below 50 in his entire career he is the most prolific run scorer ever in Pakistan cricket history. He won a lot of matches single handedly too. A trait he shares with another Pakistani great "Inzy".
Miandad was truly one of the most charismatic player for pakistan. Be it for jumping on the pitch with bat in on hand
javed-miandad_jumping.jpg
or Swinging a bat at Dennis Lille
124340.jpg
or his last ball six off Chetan Sharma to win a match from a near impossible situation.
He was instrumental in Pakistan's only WC triumpth with 6 50's. He was the youngest captain of Pakistan and he made transition from Test to ODI's without a hitch. He avg'd over 40 in his ODI career and finally bowed out in 96 after Pakistan's loss to India.

----------

Maharaj Kumar Shri Duleepsinhji

117013.jpg

Maharaj Kumar Shri Duleepsinhji was one of the finest batsman to play the cricket. He was battered with illness which limited his playing days to just 8 seasons and eventually resulted in his death at an early age of 54. But for the time he played was the pure joy for any cricket lover. He had the gift of timing and punish any ball that strayed even a inch from the good length. Although he possessed the gift of judging the ball early, he was careless in his batting. Unfortunately he has to live in the shadow of his great uncle for his entire career but he did his best to be remembered as who he was rather than coz of his uncle. In his last 3 seasons he scored 2500 runs each.
In 1930, a golden year for him, his feats were memorable indeed. In his first innings that year at Hove, he established a ground record with a magnificent 333 scored in a single day against Northamptonshire - the biggest score ever made for Sussex, exceeding the record of his uncle. At Lord's in 1930 his performances were quite phenomenal. For Sussex against Middlesex he scored a century in each innings and in the following month repeated the feat for the Gentlemen against Players. He scored a memorable 173 in the Test match against Australia (this was his Test debut against Australia), while for M.C.C. in May he had hit the Australians for 92.

In 1931, when he took over the captaincy of Sussex, he scored four centuries in successive innings, and in 1932 - which was to be his final season - he almost led Sussex to the top of the table. Illness struck again and cruelly ended his career.
His wristy shots was a thing of beauty and will always be remembered forever by those who were privileged enough to watch him play.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Denis Lindsay

96715.jpg

56129.jpg

Denis Lindsay was a swashbuckling strokeplayer who was good enough to make it to the test side either as a batsman or a wicketkeeper. He is best remembered for his dominant role in the victorious 1966-67 home series against Bobby Simpson's Australians in which he scored 606 runs in seven innings at an average of 86.57. He also took a then South African record 24 catches.
His cavalier feats in a maiden 3-1 series win over Australia are indelibly writ in the folklore of South African cricket; the audacious manner in which he turned potential disaster into triumph with a carefree disregard for the batting wreckage that lay around him was the difference between the sides.

In first test vs Australia, SAF was in deep trouble. They were down to 5 wickets for just 41 runs when Pollock got out. In came Lindsay and he added 110 runs for the 6th wicket with Lance. He got out for 69 of 101 balls which included 8 fours. He was eventually the top scorer in the innings where Saffers were bowled out for 199 in 65 overs.
Then Australians came on to bat and labored 325 in 130 overs. Lindsay was again in the spotlight where he effected 6 dismissals in the innings. Equaling a 9 year old Wicketkeeping record set by Grout on the same ground.
Proteas were again in trouble in second innings when they found themselves at 268/5 which was effectively 148/5. What happened next is writ in the folklore of South African cricket; the audacious manner in which he turned potential disaster into triumph with a carefree disregard for the batting wreckage that lay around him was the difference between the sides. He scored 182 runs of 227 balls which include 25 fours and 5 sixes. A strike rate of above 80 was otherworldly for that era. Saffers scored 620 runs and then bowled Australia out for 261 to win the match by 233 runs.

In the third Test at Durban South Africa were put into bat on a well-grassed pitch; this time they slumped to 94 for 6 but Lindsay's 137 hauled them back and they won by eight wickets. That century, in difficult conditions, was probably the most valuable of his three in the series. In it, for once, he did not attempt to hit sixes.

Lindsay's childhood friend was the allrounder Herbert `Tiger' Lance. During the 1960s they were regular team-mates in the Test team, an irrepressible and inseparable duo. Tall, strong men, they always stood side by side in the team photographs and batted consecutively in the middle order, sharing two century partnerships in the 1966-67 series.
On one occasion they were discussing the inability of a Test batsman to find the gaps in the field. "He has to go through the air," argued Lance. "No, the risk's too great; he has to keep it on the grass," retorted Lindsay. The argument persisted, "through the air" or "on the grass", until Lindsay turned to Lance and asked, "Why are you so adamant he should go airborne?" "Easy, my mate," replied Lance, "there's more air than grass.":lol

This simple truth would not have been lost on Lindsay. In the summer of 1966-67 he regularly elected to hit through the air with hooks and lofted drives in his astonishing assault on Australia's bowlers. He hit 12 sixes in the five-match series, nine of them coming at the Wanderers, when he scored magnificent centuries in the two Tests played on that ground.

In attempting to hook a bouncer from the tall fast bowler David Renneberg in the second Test at Newlands he miscued for once and the ball thundered off the edge on to his unprotected forehead. As Lindsay fell unconscious on the pitch, blood starting from a nasty wound, the ball rebounded into Renneberg's hands for a simple return catch and Lindsay was out for 5.

In the second innings he returned bravely, his forehead stitched, to hook three sixes in his 81. In the days before helmets he never batted in a cap. In the fourth Test at the Wanderers he came in at 3.25pm. His century came 110 minutes later. An appeal against the light, with Lindsay on 95, was turned down by the umpires. He hit the next ball from Bob Cowper into the distant grandstand. He went on to score 131.

Truly he was a player ahead of his generation and a inspiration of modern wicketkeeper batsmen.

P.S: Sorry if it was too long. There was so much interesting stuff about this guy that i didnt felt like leaving it out.

----------

My Final XI.

1. Herbert Sutcliffe(RHB, Avg:60.73, Runs:4555, Eng)
2. Phil Mead (LHB, Avg:49.37, Runs:1185, Eng)
3. Javed Miandad(RHB, Avg:52.57, Runs:8832, Pak)
4. Sachin Tendulkar(RHB, Avg:56.02 , Runs:15183, Ind )
5. Maharaj Kumar Shri Duleepsinhji(RHB, Avg:58.52, Runs:995, Eng)
6. Eddie Paynter(LHB, Avg:59.23 , Runs: 1540, Eng)
7. Denis Lindsay(RHB, Avg:37.66, Runs:1130, SAF)
8. Kapil Dev(RHB, BatAvg:31.05 , Runs:5248 , Fast Medium, BowlAvg:29.64, Wickets:434, Ind)
9. Ritchie Benaud(RHB, BatAvg:24.45 , Runs:2201 , LegBreakGoogly, BowlAvg:27.03, Wickets:248, Aus)
10. Billy Barnes(RHB, BatAvg:23.38 , Runs:725 , Fast Medium, BowlAvg:15.54, Wickets:51, Eng)
11.Bobby Peel(LHB, Slow LeftArmOrthodox, BowlAvg:16.98, Wickets:101, Eng)

sifter132

Panel of Selectors

The Papa XI:
1) Joe Darling (c)
2) Wilfred Rhodes
3) Wally Hammond
4) Sir Everton Weekes
5) Zaheer Abbas
6) Monty Noble (vc)
7) John Waite (wk)
8) Wasim Akram
9) Clarrie Grimmett
10) Dennis Lillee
11) Charlie Turner

Grimmett was an absolute bargain at this point in the draft :thumbs I think in hindsight a specialist bat instead of Rhodes or Noble might have served better beacuse apart from your 3,4 and 5, the batting looks a bit average. Both of those guys were a little bit stronger in the bowling than their batting as far as I can see. The attack is pretty good though :clap

Well with Kanhai and Walcott you've got 3 guys in your top 6 who can keep :p I really like that top 7 actually, many of them are very underappreciated cricketers like Nourse, Kanhai, Bardsley even Boycott gets played down next to Gavaskar for example. Must say I was surprised at Bill Bowes being picked before Clarrie Grimmett but I guess you needed another paceman.

Sir Jack Hobbs (eng)
Hanif Mohammad (pak)
George Headley (WI)
Sir Garfield Sobers* (WI)
Patsy Hendren (eng)
George Giffen (aus)
Don Tallon+ (aus)
Andy Roberts (WI)
Michael Holding (WI)
Muttiah Muralitharan (SL)
Tom Richardson (ENG)

Just needed that extra batsman didn't it? I guess Murali was such good value though. And you do have probably the best 2 batsmen bar the Don in Sobers and Hobbs.

[/COLOR]My Final XI.

7. Denis Lindsay(RHB, Avg:37.66, Runs:1130, SAF)
8. Kapil Dev(RHB, BatAvg:31.05 , Runs:5248 , Fast Medium, BowlAvg:29.64, Wickets:434, Ind)
9. Ritchie Benaud(RHB, BatAvg:24.45 , Runs:2201 , LegBreakGoogly, BowlAvg:27.03, Wickets:248, Aus)
10. Billy Barnes(RHB, BatAvg:23.38 , Runs:725 , Fast Medium, BowlAvg:15.54, Wickets:51, Eng)

Well there's plenty of batting depth there. Kapil and Benaud were excellent lower order counterattackers, and Barnes and Peel averaged around 20 in the 1800s which is not too shabby. Just lacks in pace bowlers.

With all these keepers being taken I just noticed that Allan Knott went unpicked, which is a bit of a travesty :( Syed Kirmani too, who I think is one of Test cricket's forgotten men - he was a fantastic keeper. I would have taken Kirmani if I'd picked a bit later in that 71-90 round. And Greg Chappell too, went unpicked after Crew of Black swapped him out for a leftie. Generally we've picked all the good ones out, but of course some will slip through the cracks.​

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
My views on my team.

Top Order
No matter how many draft's i take part in, if available i would pick Herbert for the job of opener everytime. Its a shame i couldn't get his phenomenal partner, in fact i couldn't get a decent second opener in the draft :p. But if ever there was need to step up and take one for the team, Phil Mead would be the first one to do it and he is the ideal person for the job because of his temperament/technique. He knows which balls to play and which to leave.
Middle Order
Number 3 position goes to Javed Miandad who is a perfect person for the job. Sachin selects himself for number 4 position without a doubt. Him and Javed together would be a nightmare for any attack if they are on song. They can change their game according to situation without much fuss and demoralize the bowlers by hitting even good balls for boundaries.

Lower Middle Order

Late middle order contains Kumar Shri Duleepsinhji and Eddie Paynter. In Duleepsinhji i had a player who not only gifted but also audacious in his approach. He is Ideal to pile up a huge score from the platform provided by MiddleOrder. Eddie is the crisis man. When team is in trouble he can just drop his anchor and just bat it out. He knows how to bat with tail and is known for involving in partnership with them on numerous occasions. He is the one who provides the calm to the lineup and gives the likes of Sachin and Javed freedom to play their natural game.

Wicketkeeping slot goes to one of the finest wicket-keeper batsman ever from South Africa: Denis Lindsay
He's another crisis man for my team but with a contrasting approach to how to get out of the crisis. He likes to hit the ball hard and he believes that hitting in the air is better choice because there is more air than grass. :p He can change the game within a matter or few hours or completely force a opposition into submission.

Tail/Bowlers
Calling a Kapil-Ritchi-Barnes tail owuld be a little harsh as all of them can bat. With 3 allrounders batting so low in the team gives great depth to the lineup. In the bowling Kapil and Billy would open with new ball while Ritchie and Bobby would take care of the spin department. there is plenty of variety here (Legbreak,Left arm orhtodox,Fast medium), still i would have loved to get a left arm fast bowler in the team.

Overall batting heavy side with players from all around the world. I missed out on some Kiwi, West Indian and Sri Lankan greats though.

----------

With all these keepers being taken I just noticed that Allan Knott went unpicked, which is a bit of a travesty :( Syed Kirmani too, who I think is one of Test cricket's forgotten men - he was a fantastic keeper. I would have taken Kirmani if I'd picked a bit later in that 71-90 round. And Greg Chappell too, went unpicked after Crew of Black swapped him out for a leftie. Generally we've picked all the good ones out, but of course some will slip through the cracks.
I was gonna pick Alan Knott but then i spotted Lindsay. His record was amazing. It was a tough choice but his heroics against Australia were the difference between two.

----------

Forgot to select the captain and Vice Captain :p

7. Denis Lindsay(RHB, Avg:37.66, Runs:1130, SAF) WicketKeeper
8. Kapil Dev(RHB, BatAvg:31.05 , Runs:5248 , Fast Medium, BowlAvg:29.64, Wickets:434, Ind) Vice-Captain
9. Ritchie Benaud(RHB, BatAvg:24.45 , Runs:2201 , LegBreakGoogly, BowlAvg:27.03, Wickets:248, Aus) Captain

----------

Batting avg of my team is 42+ :p

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Must say I was surprised at Bill Bowes being picked before Clarrie Grimmett but I guess you needed another paceman.
Yeah, had I not picked Blythe or Palmer, I'd have gone for Grimmett. Paceman was needed and Bowes had pretty good stats.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My Picks : Tich Freeman and Ted Dexter

1. WC Grace
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Clem Hill
4. Jack Russell
5. Ken Barrington
6. Ted Dexter
7. Les Ames (WK)
8. Bob Willis
9. Jack Hearne
10. Tich Freeman
11. Glenn McGrath

All the pending write ups to follow.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
21544.1.jpg
97960.3.jpg

Les Ames was a very fine wicket keeper and a more than handy batsman and his stats prove this. He has 37248 FC runs to his name at an very fine average of 43.51 with 102 centuries, yes you saw it right. ;) Sachin is on the verge of making this record of 100 100's at the international level but making 100 100's in first class cricket does take something special too and more so when you are a wicket keeper, you must be at the best of their fitness. :)

Jack Hearne might not have much test wickets but he has plenty of first class wickets to his credit. in 639 first class matches that he played, he managed to get 3061 wickets at an average of 17.75 and at an excellent economy of 2.25, the stats do show how special this man's ability were.

054478.player.jpg
28841.player.jpg

Clem Hill played 49 tests and made 3412 runs with 7 centuries. His first class stats are more impress though as he played 252 FC matches and made 17213 runs with 45 centuries. His average was quite impress to that of 43.57, extremely talented cricketer was Clem Hill.

Bob Willis is one of the finest fast bowlers England has every produced, if not the finest. Having 325 tests wickets to his name and 899 (why not one more? :p) wickets to his name in FC cricket. With 16-for and 34-for respectively. His test bowling average is 25.20 which is quite great, he might not have got the recognition that he deserves but one thing is for sure, he was a great server for his country. :)

Big Bash on, more write ups to follow. :p

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Grimmett was an absolute bargain at this point in the draft :thumbs I think in hindsight a specialist bat instead of Rhodes or Noble might have served better beacuse apart from your 3,4 and 5, the batting looks a bit average. Both of those guys were a little bit stronger in the bowling than their batting as far as I can see. The attack is pretty good though :clap

I agree absolutely about the batting. It's not as strong as I would have liked, but I do bat down all the way to No.8, and considering my attack, I think it's enough.

Users who are viewing this thread