BCCI want to ban sledging

Whos going to draw lines.
The person thats saying it should know how offensive it could be. The majority of players know the line and would not cross it.

Yeah, it really annoys me this news, because I think its only happened because of the Australia series. I hope the ICC dont back down and go through with it. If the BCCI are so bothered, then they can impose a ban on sledging on India.

To be honest, this could benefit the game. This could eliminate all the bad things such as racism and stuff.

But, clean, good sledging is the best. Sangakkara-Pollock, anyone?

This won't happen anyways.

What utter babies. It's a man's game, if you don't like it go play bowls or something.

Cricket: Bat, Bowl, Field

Sledging: Unnecessary communication which may lead to racism and discrimination. E.g, Symonds + Harbhajan = Fiasco

Sledging shouldn't be banned because it 'could' lead to racism and discrimination. Cricketers have brains, and the large majority aren't stupid enough to take sledging beyond banter and make it into racism and discrimination. Sleding at the end of the day is just abit of harmful banter between players, and if a player allows the banter to get into his head and it affects his game, he's not mentally strong enough to play professional cricket. If players give some talk back, or react with their performance instead it proves mental strength, something that is required to succeed at any professional sport. If sledging is removed, cricket becomes the middle/upper-class game that it is percieved as, where opponents are nice to eachother, Sledging makes cricket a better game in my eyes.

Sledging: Unnecessary communication which may lead to racism and discrimination. E.g, Symonds + Harbhajan = Fiasco

Just because racists like Bhaji can't stay within the limits of decency doesn't mean that sledging should be banned. Cricket is often reduced to a gladitorial contest between one batsman against an entire attack, and how they cope with the sledging is vital to how they perform physically.

Just because racists like Bhaji can't stay within the limits of decency doesn't mean that sledging should be banned. Cricket is often reduced to a gladitorial contest between one batsman against an entire attack, and how they cope with the sledging is vital to how they perform physically.

I do not want to turn this into a thread whether Harbhajan was racist or not, but there is no proof that he is racist.

Either way, sledging doesn't condone racism, it condones a bit of banter that may get under batsmens skin. The obvious show of this is that racism is the most serious on field offence in the ICC rules. You can't take away something as large as sledging to the game because some members of cricket teams have some awful opinions of different races and care to make them open.

But yeah, turn up the mics just so that if anything racist or such gets said then there can be a clear ban.

A few general comments:

1. For anything of this sort to be passed, it would take the majority of the ICC test nations (and perhaps the top level associates) to vote and pass it. But of course, if something like this passes, everyone will immediately jump on the BCCI like the biased pricks they are, ignoring completely the other 5 boards (or maybe 8) that would have had agreed with them.

2. Sledging will change the atmosphere of the game? Are you kidding me? The crowd cannot even see or hear more sledging. From the point of view of the crowd, nothing would change. Except confrontations. And if you seriously think confrontations are what make cricket a good game rather than an awesome catch or a textbook cover-drive, then you're rather stupid. Additionally, if you're going to claim that the quality of cricket is directly proportional to the amount of sledging, I'm going to have to stop taking you seriously.

3. I think there is a place for sledging in world cricket but mandating it would be very difficult. I certainly don't think it has a right or privilege to remain in cricket since only about 3 countries have been doing it historically. Or would you like to start seeing players headbutting each other, because it seemed like tensions got pretty high when players couldn't say anything nice to each other on the field?

In short, I don't agree with the BCCI but I have many problems with some of the silly opinions posted on this thread.

I don't see the point in banning sledging. Most of the time its just banter between the players. i tend to do it to friends that play on opposing teams for a laugh. It will never work

Of course your against it yes? Since its the BCCI saying it....

Who said Indian fans agree with whatever the BCCI says?

Sledging should be banned because it has been taken too far in attempt to win matches. Its not fair when some one or a team uses tactics like sledging to disrupt a player's concentration or to incite the player into playing false strokes induced by anger. Its just not FAIR!!!! If you want to win, win through your skill.

This applies to the Indian players too (who I believe have started sledging just because they want to give it back to the Australians). If they continue to sledge, they should be banned too.

The person thats saying it should know how offensive it could be. The majority of players know the line and would not cross it.

Yeah, it really annoys me this news, because I think its only happened because of the Australia series. I hope the ICC dont back down and go through with it. If the BCCI are so bothered, then they can impose a ban on sledging on India.

Why are you getting so agitated? The BCCI have just suggested, and if their opinion is not acceptable, it will be naturally be vetoed out.

Last edited:
I've never liked sledging, I don't see it as part of the game (or not a required part of the game anyway) to me its cheating. But I think to ban it would be a massive over-reaction and wouldn't help anyone as all that would happen is a slip fielder would make a comment, perhaps to a team-mate and the batsman would cry "Sledge" and before you know it you'll have teams threatening to pull out of tours (ok, so maybe its no different to what happens now anyway).

If the BCCI doesn't like sledging then how about they set a good example and just instruct their players not to sledge.

When I say I sledge it's nothing malicious or off putting just between friends as a laugh. I hate people who sledge nastily or do it to put you off. I played againts Woodkirk U17's and their keeper and slips were sledging me up until and after the bowler had released the ball. It was very off putting and contributed to my downfall with only 5 runs to my name.

Users who are viewing this thread