Best batsman today ?

well its harder considering the pressure and ecpectation knowing you are the one on who m the whole team depends,and hayden is facing medicore
medium pacers on flat tracks,only england had a good bowling attack and he struggled in the 2005 ashes
Hayden averages over 60 in Sri Lankan against the leading wicket taker in the history of Test Cricket, Muttiah Muralitharan. Hayden also made a century against Walsh & Ambrose to his credit aswell.

Flat tracks? Opening the batting at Brisbane or Perth (or as shown on the 1st day of the MCG test) is as hard to open the batting as anywhere else in the world and the pitch tends to flatten out as the ball gets older.

The world doesn't depend on you when you've got the likes of Dravid, Laxman & Ganguly batting around you.

TBH Tendulkar does not bat like he did in his early days and therefore is not as good as Hayden these days. But overall its just upto individual to acknowledge who he thinks is best because frankly there are so many good batsmen around that you cannot find fault in anyone.

well the best Batsman today ( and i mean like really today 11 January ) probaly is Ashwell Prince looked really confident out there and just made sure he scored the runs for SA , second would be De Villiers

I would have to say that based on medium to short term form, it has to be a toss up between Hussey and Chanderpaul. I am going to go with Hussey. Playing in a good team or not, no one has matched Hussey's introduction into Test cricket since Bradman. Hussey has scored 2120 runs in 33 innings with 8 centuries. Averaging over 70 in all of his three completed years in Test cricket makes him the best batsmen today in terms of sheer run scoring - which, in my opinion, what Test cricket is all about.

I hate Hussey. Why? Cause he's damn good. I keep trying to tell myself it's a honeymoon period, alas, it isn't.

*Sulks*

I find Hussey's introduction to Test Cricket no different from Hayden's resergence back in 2001 except for the fact that Hayden was good enough to make the International side for a trail in his early 20's and Hussey wasn't & that Hayden also outaverages Hussey in Australian domestic cricket by about 15 runs.

If Hayden had've debuted in the Indian series back in 2001, he would've had a similar start to his career as what Hussey had. Hayden's average however wasn't as high due to always facing the new ball while Hussey's played the majority in the middle-order & Hussey's results as an opener aren't as credible as his career statistics (he averages in the mid 50's as an opener). Hayden's strike-rate is also allot higher which shows you whose more dominant.

Hayden since '01
http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...template=results;type=batting;view=cumulative

Hussey's career stats
http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/5939.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

Your taking 13 matches out of his career and it increases his average by about 5 runs. How is that better then an average of 83 by Hussey?

Why don't you read what I said? :rolleyes:

Hayden did exactly what Hussey did when Hayden came back in 2001. Hayden was good enough to get a spot in the Aussie side when he was a youngster, Hussey wasn't. Hayden's always opened, while Hussey's always played in the middle-order.

Hayden > Hussey

Didn't Hussey start out as an opener? I seem to recall reading that somewhere (maybe his Cricinfo profile) and then he converted into the middle order to help his selection chances.

Forget Hussey, in the same period M.Yousuf must be averaging over 100. And all the talk about being openor or not is bull****. Infact openors have advntage that all the field is up and they acn score quickly just is what is done by Hayden. Even sehwag is averaging above 50 as an openor. Does that make him best batsmen?

For me, the best batsman will always be Sachin Tendulkar, as he has been the one to make me love this game, and produces shots that others would only think of playing in their dreams.
Be it today, yesterday, or tomorrow, there is no better batsman then Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread