Best batsman today ?

Ponting is definitly top class, one of the best batsmen on the planet, but here are some stats between Tendulkar and Ponting....and deciding who's better....First I'll compare test matches...

TEST MATCH CRICKET:

Ricky Ponting:

Matches: 112
Runs: 9508
Highest Score: 257
Average: 59.42
Strike Rate: 58.89
100's: 33
50's: 38

Sachin Tendulkar:

Matches: 142
Runs: 11,289
Highest Score: 248
Average: 55.06
Strike Rate: 61.24
100's: 37
50's: 47

Pretty outstanding numbers from both batsmen, I'm sure we can all agree to that!
Now then, Tendulkar is one year older than ponting, and has played in 30 more test matches, and 41 more innings times than Ponting, but has 1781 more runs. Their averages differ by 4.36, So Ponting scores about 4 more runs than Tendulkar per test match...Not a great difference by anymeans.
Sachin has 4 more centuries, and 9 more half-centuries, and their higest scores are nearly identical, 257 for ponting, versus 248 for Tendulkar.
Both players have had slow starts to their career, but while Ponting has been on the incline as a batsmen for the last 3-4 years, Tendulkar has been on a very slight decline. As they are only a year apart in age, I am guessing that both will finish their careers around the same time....Tendulkar will probably retire before Ricky.

Their numbers are very similar and at the end of their careers, Ponting will definitly have a better average, but as far as who will score more centuries, have more runs is up in the air...Stats suggest that Ponting will better tendulkar, but due to their age, their retierment will be approaching near the same time, so its hard to tell who will have more runs, and centuries as Tendulkar is still a class act even at this age and will continue to score runs...

Now the intangables that dont have anything to do with stats, yet are very important, and must be considered.....Imagine carrying the entire team on your back for most your international carrer, time in and time out, comming into a huge crisis situation and bailing your team out, playing for a country that if you dont do well all the time, the fans turn on you in a split second. This has been Tendulkar's life ever since he entered international cricket as a 16 year old. Yes folks, 16!! Sachin has had by far, the most pressure on him than any other batsmen in the world. He is loved more than all the batsmen to ever play the game, put together...His entire country not expects, but demands him to score big every time he comes out to bat. He has time in, and time out, come into bat for India when other Indian batsmen are getting destroyed by the opposition...and he has countlessely bailed his country out. Tendulkar also grew up facing bowlers who were far worse then their australian, pakistani, southafrican, english, west indian counterparts, and he playted on flat pitches that sutied the batsmen...Where as Ponting, from a young age has faced exceelent bowling, and has batting on lively bouncy, pacy pitches....Tendulkar used his brilliance and adapted to that, and learnt how to score on these types of pitches, as he had never seen anything like it....he has also done very well versus Australia. He has been on top of every one of his opponents. All This can show you the true class he possesses.

In this aspect, Ponting has not even an iota of the pressure on him that Tendulkar has, he has always had the best team sourrounding him, and the best playes sourrounding him so he can ease into his role.

What I find unbelievable is that with all this pressure on him, Tendulkar has still managed to become one of the best batsmen that ever lived. Just try to imagine folks....I played a high level of american football here in Canada, and I can tell you, that playing under pressure is compltely different than when not....I have failed playing under pressure, and alot of people fail under pressure....Tendulkar on the other hand has played like its not even affected him. He has carried his country on his back, for all his carrer, and has had to perform or fans would be after his head...not only has he done this, he has done it better than any sportsman ever. PERIOD. His character is unmatched.

I can almost guarantee, that even if Ponting had to go through half the circumstances and pressure that Tendulkar had to go through, his numbers would not even be close to what they are right now....We can never know, but as an athelete I know what playing under pressure can do to you....I've seen it through my life.

that my friends is why I regard Tendulkar to be a greater batsmen than Ponting.....

Now to oneday internationals.....

ODI CRICKET

Ricky Ponting:

matches: 288, innings: 279
runs: 10835
Highest score: 164
Average: 44.40
Strike rate: 80.68
100's: 25
50's: 63

Sachin Tendulkar:

matches: 407, innings: 397
runs: 15,962
Highest score: 186
Average: 44.33
Strike rate: 85.50
100's: 41
50's: 87

It's not even close Tendulkar dominates ponting in ever category, and their averages are nearly identical. Tendulkar has over 5000 more runs, he has a better strike rate, 16 more hundreds and, and 24 more 50's. I know Tendulkar has played alot more than Ponting, but if tendular retired today, and ricky played as many matches as him, he still wouldnt have the stats to match, as ricky is 33, and has reached his prime, by the time he would be done, tendulkar would better him in every aspect in ODI's.

Also read the circumstances that i wrote above...they apply to ODI's as well!

My fellow members at planetcricket, this has taken me a long time to write, so please read my post completely and understand it before you decide to bash on my ideologies. I thorughly explained why I believe that Tendulkar has been a better batsmen than Ponting, so i hope to see some facts and ideas on your part to try and convince me otherwise...

I take everything into account when deciding who's better and I've concluded that Tendulkar is a better batsman than Ponting.

Thankyou for your time,

Zreh

Great post Zreh!

Now I've always liked Ponting more than Tendulkar as a player. It's just my opinion and I feel that Ponting is just all that and a bag of potato chips. As a South African I crap my pants when I see Ponting walk out into the middle, however the feeling I've ALWAYS gotten when I see Tendulkar walk out is "Great player, little master! But probably wont score runs today" And now days, I'm right most the time.

I know that Tendulkar's stats are better but in the long run, I just have this gut feeling that Ponting will be better stats wise when they both have retired.

Now lets all remember here that the Ponting in the last 3 or so years' stats would blow Tendulkar out of the water in any period of time. Ponting had a pretty mediocre start to his career, which is why, in ODI cricket his average is so low.

But really, I'm not a stats man. I just believe that Ponting is a better player. Sorry, I can't back it up with any 'proof' but its what I really believe.

Once again, great post.

A mean, the fact says from 04 Chanderpaul has been playing better than Jallis etc. But still this dumb guy says stupid **** like if they remove england series his average would be in the 40s, when over the last 4 years it's been at 57.
You know nothing about cricket and you seem to be puzzled as how to respond when someones stat's the truth and proves that someone's actually allot better then Chanderpaul. 7 centuries in the last couple of years doesn't set the world alight.

An average of over 57 in a career is amazing but over a short period of time isn't when guys have acchieved much better.

Don't worry, as you'll see in many threads that I post in. I have the last laugh and I am often right. ;)

Ponting is definitly top class, one of the best batsmen on the planet, but here are some stats between Tendulkar and Ponting....and deciding who's better....First I'll compare test matches...

TEST MATCH CRICKET:

Ricky Ponting:

Matches: 112
Runs: 9508
Highest Score: 257
Average: 59.42
Strike Rate: 58.89
100's: 33
50's: 38

Sachin Tendulkar:

Matches: 142
Runs: 11,289
Highest Score: 248
Average: 55.06
Strike Rate: 61.24
100's: 37
50's: 47

Pretty outstanding numbers from both batsmen, I'm sure we can all agree to that!
Now then, Tendulkar is one year older than ponting, and has played in 30 more test matches, and 41 more innings times than Ponting, but has 1781 more runs. Their averages differ by 4.36, So Ponting scores about 4 more runs than Tendulkar per test match...Not a great difference by anymeans.
Sachin has 4 more centuries, and 9 more half-centuries, and their higest scores are nearly identical, 257 for ponting, versus 248 for Tendulkar.
Both players have had slow starts to their career, but while Ponting has been on the incline as a batsmen for the last 3-4 years, Tendulkar has been on a very slight decline. As they are only a year apart in age, I am guessing that both will finish their careers around the same time....Tendulkar will probably retire before Ricky.

Their numbers are very similar and at the end of their careers, Ponting will definitly have a better average, but as far as who will score more centuries, have more runs is up in the air...Stats suggest that Ponting will better tendulkar, but due to their age, their retierment will be approaching near the same time, so its hard to tell who will have more runs, and centuries as Tendulkar is still a class act even at this age and will continue to score runs...

Now the intangables that dont have anything to do with stats, yet are very important, and must be considered.....Imagine carrying the entire team on your back for most your international carrer, time in and time out, comming into a huge crisis situation and bailing your team out, playing for a country that if you dont do well all the time, the fans turn on you in a split second. This has been Tendulkar's life ever since he entered international cricket as a 16 year old. Yes folks, 16!! Sachin has had by far, the most pressure on him than any other batsmen in the world. He is loved more than all the batsmen to ever play the game, put together...His entire country not expects, but demands him to score big every time he comes out to bat. He has time in, and time out, come into bat for India when other Indian batsmen are getting destroyed by the opposition...and he has countlessely bailed his country out. Tendulkar also grew up facing bowlers who were far worse then their australian, pakistani, southafrican, english, west indian counterparts, and he playted on flat pitches that sutied the batsmen...Where as Ponting, from a young age has faced exceelent bowling, and has batting on lively bouncy, pacy pitches....Tendulkar used his brilliance and adapted to that, and learnt how to score on these types of pitches, as he had never seen anything like it....he has also done very well versus Australia. He has been on top of every one of his opponents. All This can show you the true class he possesses.

In this aspect, Ponting has not even an iota of the pressure on him that Tendulkar has, he has always had the best team sourrounding him, and the best playes sourrounding him so he can ease into his role.

What I find unbelievable is that with all this pressure on him, Tendulkar has still managed to become one of the best batsmen that ever lived. Just try to imagine folks....I played a high level of american football here in Canada, and I can tell you, that playing under pressure is compltely different than when not....I have failed playing under pressure, and alot of people fail under pressure....Tendulkar on the other hand has played like its not even affected him. He has carried his country on his back, for all his carrer, and has had to perform or fans would be after his head...not only has he done this, he has done it better than any sportsman ever. PERIOD. His character is unmatched.

I can almost guarantee, that even if Ponting had to go through half the circumstances and pressure that Tendulkar had to go through, his numbers would not even be close to what they are right now....We can never know, but as an athelete I know what playing under pressure can do to you....I've seen it through my life.

that my friends is why I regard Tendulkar to be a greater batsmen than Ponting.....

Now to oneday internationals.....

ODI CRICKET

Ricky Ponting:

matches: 288, innings: 279
runs: 10835
Highest score: 164
Average: 44.40
Strike rate: 80.68
100's: 25
50's: 63

Sachin Tendulkar:

matches: 407, innings: 397
runs: 15,962
Highest score: 186
Average: 44.33
Strike rate: 85.50
100's: 41
50's: 87

It's not even close Tendulkar dominates ponting in ever category, and their averages are nearly identical. Tendulkar has over 5000 more runs, he has a better strike rate, 16 more hundreds and, and 24 more 50's. I know Tendulkar has played alot more than Ponting, but if tendular retired today, and ricky played as many matches as him, he still wouldnt have the stats to match, as ricky is 33, and has reached his prime, by the time he would be done, tendulkar would better him in every aspect in ODI's.

Also read the circumstances that i wrote above...they apply to ODI's as well!

My fellow members at planetcricket, this has taken me a long time to write, so please read my post completely and understand it before you decide to bash on my ideologies. I thorughly explained why I believe that Tendulkar has been a better batsmen than Ponting, so i hope to see some facts and ideas on your part to try and convince me otherwise...

I take everything into account when deciding who's better and I've concluded that Tendulkar is a better batsman than Ponting.

Thankyou for your time,

Zreh
LMAO!

Didn't you once say Matthew Hayden would almost certainly NOT maintain an average of 40 in ODI cricket? And yet over the last year of your disappearence his average has risen to 44? The same as Tendulkars? His also hit 5 centuries over the last year?

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22802&highlight=Opening+Batsman

What happened there?

But you think the fact that Tendulkar had pressure on his shoulders makes him a better batsman?

It's not like Ponting's not ever had pressure on his shoulders, because he has, everytime Australia's in trouble he'll come and play a vital innings that will win us the match. He was predicted to go on and captain Australia at the age of 14, debuted at First-Class cricket at 17 (Which is incredible because you'll probably never find anyone in the future debuting in Australia FC cricket at a younger age, most debut in their early 20's), and he has overcome personal problems early on in his career to go on and become probably the 2nd best batsman to ever live.

Ponting isn't great because he played with great players that helped him become great, his one of the main reason why Australian Cricket has had so much success. Watch Australia when Ponting isn't playing, the don't look anything like the same team and often lose.

And to say Ponting wouldn't of acchieved anything if he had the same pressure as Tendulkar just because YOU think so is ridiculous because as I shown with the Greatest Opening Batsman thread, you're not very intelligent when it comes to predicting these sort of things, are you?

I have to agree with 'ben91' here! You can not simply compare stats and say Sachin is a better batsmen. Tendulkar has played more games because it is easier to make the Indian team. If Ricky was Indian he would have played at 16 as well! Don't get me wrong Sachin Tendulkar will be remembered as one of the greastest players ever, but Ricky Pointing is better IMO.

Anyway you say that "Tendulkar dominates ponting in ever category", yet Ricky has a higher average!?! :rolleyes:
Also you claim that Ricky's average of 59 compared to Tendulkar's 55 is small! That is a farily large gap. Although average does not always reflect the quality of a batsmen.

Don't overrate statistics once again. You have to take every score into context. Tendulkar has been playing for longer than Ponting, more matches, and his stats are quite similar to Ponting. Especially in ODI cricket, Tendulkar has played heaps more and thus of course he has more 50's and 100's. The most accurate way of comparing batsmen is not by runs but averages, because it takes into account a balancing system of their innings and matches with those runs scored.

By that logic, Ponting and Tendulkar are very evenly matched. But it doesn't mean everything like I said.

From what I know, Ponting has a fantastic technique and is very good at scoring runs. He is able to lift his team by leading from the front, and is a fantastic batsman. Sachin Tendulkar is worshipped in India, and is very overrated. He is a great batsman, but whilst once, he was clearly the best in the world, now, he is just a very good batsman. He is among the best when on song, but right now, Ponting is clearly better.

Whether Ponting passes his test runs or not, it won't change too much really, except for the stat monsters who rate that sort of thing above all.

Last edited:
For all guys I have just one statement
"Tendulkar was best batsmen in world when he was only 21 and ponting rose to that position only when he turned 27."

Also I think Hayden is more dominating and effective batsmen than Ponting any given day.

Yeah what makes Hayden so great is that he always faces the new ball in Tests (not ODI's where it's easier to score off cause the fielders are in) and he still averages over 50 in Test Cricket whereas all of the other great batsman who are mentioned in this thread come in in the middle order when the new balls been seen off.

Hayden's better then anyone when inform compared to any other batsman in the world. He looks so much better then anyone else, better then Sangakkara, Kallis, Ponting, Tendulkar, etc, etc.

Problem with him if that he occasionally goes through rough patches where he gets overconfident and doesn't make runs as consistantly as what Ponting does.

Hayden's still allot better then Hussey and always has been.

For all guys I have just one statement
"Tendulkar was best batsmen in world when he was only 21 and ponting rose to that position only when he turned 27."

Also I think Hayden is more dominating and effective batsmen than Ponting any given day.
So he's an early bloomer, Ponting has always been a good batsman too, but he reached his peak later than Tendulkar.

@Ben, I don't think that Hayden is a particularly attractive batsman, but he used to be the best in the world and he is still up there.

The pressure Tendulkar has played under--with the expectations of over 1,000,000,000 people on his shoulders, is far greater than the pressure Ponting has played under, where "pressure" is measured both by magnitude and time. I do question the merit of "pressure" when it comes to how good a batsman is, if we are looking at raw talent rather than production.

Not to mention that I find Tendulkar a much more attractive batsman to watch than Ponting--however I do not know how much merit this has in an argument for "best batsman".

In my opinion, Tendulkar is ever so slightly a better batsmen than Ponting based on the fact that Pontings average away from home is only 50. Tendulkar's average away from home is similar to his home average so in my opinion I would rely on Tendulkar to score my team runs around the world.

Also in another thread I said my 'All Time XI' had Ponting in it. This is because I love the way he bats and his infamous way of playing the short ball.

I have to agree with 'ben91' here! You can not simply compare stats and say Sachin is a better batsmen. Tendulkar has played more games because it is easier to make the Indian team. If Ricky was Indian he would have played at 16 as well! Don't get me wrong Sachin Tendulkar will be remembered as one of the greastest players ever, but Ricky Pointing is better IMO.

I don't think that it is easier to make it to Team India,but nevertheless I'll go with your second line- Ponting is better.

In my opinion, Tendulkar is ever so slightly a better batsmen than Ponting based on the fact that Pontings average away from home is only 50. Tendulkar's average away from home is similar to his home average so in my opinion I would rely on Tendulkar to score my team runs around the world.

Only 50 ?
Are you aware what kind of an average 50 is ?

Why is so much focus on averages. These days there are so many batsmen above the average of 50. Every team has 2 or 3. Its not like past where average of 50 was very uncommon.
Also if average were criteria then Hussey is superbatsman.

Does any one here remember Boeta Dippenar. I have seen his name come up so often in Worst Test XI thread. That guy actually has average above 40 in ODIs. Does that make him better player than Yuvraj who averages 36.

Only 50 ?
Are you aware what kind of an average 50 is ?

I know exactly what kind of an average 50 is but compared to Tendulkars it is a small average.

Also, I'm not one to judge a player on statistics because I believe it is a very sterile way to follow the game. If I judged ability based on stats I would say Tendulkar is a better batsmen than Ponting despite my belief that Ponting is better.

Hope that makes sense.

Right at this very moment, thus a considerable amount of form has gone into this decision I'd say Sangakarra, very very closely followed by Ponting, who will overtake Sanga in my opinion when the Aussie's play more cricket which of course happens as their schedule is around the corner.

I don't think that it is easier to make it to Team India,but nevertheless I'll go with your second line- Ponting is better.

When Ponting debuted age 19 (ODI) and 20 (Test) in the mid-1990's.
The middle-order batsmen where: Boon, M. Waugh and S. Waugh and Blewett. I am unaware of the Indian line-up in the late 80's but I think Ponting would have debuted earlier if the team was weakner. So the strength of the Australian team is a reason for the Tendulkar's runs being more than Ponting's!

When Ponting debuted age 19 (ODI) and 20 (Test) in the mid-1990's.
The middle-order batsmen where: Boon, M. Waugh and S. Waugh and Blewett. I am unaware of the Indian line-up in the late 80's but I think Ponting would have debuted earlier if the team was weakner. So the strength of the Australian team is a reason for the Tendulkar's runs being more than Ponting's!

If you have good batting line up it means you have ample time to score runs rather if the batting line up is poor and you end up 80 not out.

Users who are viewing this thread