Best batsman today ?

When Ponting debuted age 19 (ODI) and 20 (Test) in the mid-1990's.
The middle-order batsmen where: Boon, M. Waugh and S. Waugh and Blewett. I am unaware of the Indian line-up in the late 80's but I think Ponting would have debuted earlier if the team was weakner. So the strength of the Australian team is a reason for the Tendulkar's runs being more than Ponting's!
India's batting line-up in 1989 along with their stats at the time and the final average:

Name - 1989 - Final
K Srikkanth - 1927 @ 31.59 - 2062 @ 29.88
NS Sidhu - 685 @ 34.25 - 3202 @ 42.13
S Manjrekar - 784 @ 60.30 - 2043 @ 37.14
D Vengsarkar - 6498 @ 44.50 - 6868 @ 42.13
R Shastri - 3036 @ 33.73 - 3830 @ 35.79
M Azharuddin - 2224 @ 46.33 - 6215 @ 45.03
Kapil Dev - 4246 @ 30.99 - 5248 @ 31.05

Tendulkar would primarily have been competing with Manjrekar, Vengsarkar and Azharuddin for his spot in the middle order and you can see it was pretty tough competition (given that an average in the mid 40's was pretty good back in the 80s).

This is not to mention that the Australian team has only really started dominating world cricket some time in the mid-90s. Tendulkar debuted in 1989.

Yeah and how many Indians have in their teens debuted in the Indian team over the last several years? And India's been one of the better sides in world cricket...

Suresh Raina (19)
RP Singh (19)
Irfan Pathan (was 20, but only by 2 months :p)
Mohammed Kaif (19 when he debuted)
Ashish Nehra (19)
Ishant Sharma (19)
Piyush Chawla (16)- Test debut was in 2006, he's currently 18
Dinesh Karthik (19)
Robin Uthappa (19)
Harbhajan Singh (18/19)

Theres a nice list for ya Ben :D

Suresh Raina (19)
RP Singh (19)
Ashish Nehra (19)
Ishant Sharma (19)
Dinesh Karthik (19)
Robin Uthappa (19)
Harbhajan Singh (18/19)

You forgot Parthiv Patel (16), Suresh Raina (20) and Yuvraj Singh (19).

Suresh Raina (19)
RP Singh (19)
Ashish Nehra (19)
Ishant Sharma (19)
Dinesh Karthik (19)
Robin Uthappa (19)
Harbhajan Singh (18/19)

You forgot Parthiv Patel (16), Suresh Raina (20) and Yuvraj Singh (19).

You've got Piyush Chawla debuting at the age of 16 whilst I'm not even sure Shane Warne (The greatest spin bowler of all time) was even comtemplating playing International cricket when he was 16 and he didn't even make his first-class debut til he was 21 and Test debut when he was 22.

I think that plus those lists prove much how easier it is to get into the Indian team then the Australian team when it comes to that Tendulkar/Ponting debate.

It's not easier to get into the Indian team. You've really got to be kidding if you say so. The people who play cricket in India is probably 5 times the Australian population. Statistically, it's a minute chance of getting in. 11/1,100,000.

Of course that's not exactly how it works. In India the mindset is that the youngsters are given a look in as they may be the next best thing in the world. In Australia they're given a lot of time in domestic cricket to prove their worth.

Suresh Raina is first on the list, and Yuvraj debuted in 2003, 4 years ago, he's currently 26 which means he debuted at the age of 22, not a teenager. Parthiv Patel will be added to the list though :D

Piyush Chawla, age 18, test debut 2006, when he was 16
Are you counting test cricket or ODI ? I'm assuming a debut in any form of the game since you've got Suresh Raina in there.

Therefore, Yuvraj made his debut in 2000, not 2003.

Last edited:
It's not easier to get into the Indian team. You've really got to be kidding if you say so. The people who play cricket in India is probably 5 times the Australian population. Statistically, it's a minute chance of getting in. 11/1,100,000.

Of course that's not exactly how it works. In India the mindset is that the youngsters are given a look in as they may be the next best thing in the world. In Australia they're given a lot of time in domestic cricket to prove their worth.

I disagree, I think the Australian team is far harder to get into than the Indian side. It's no coincidence that the new players coming into the Australian team (Jaques is 28, Haddin is 30, Watson is 26, Hussey debuted when he was 29?) are so old, comparitively - look at Bell, Broad, Bopara, Plunkett etc for England, much younger. You simply cannot compete with the Australian players until you've spent years honing your skills and gaining experience in tough, Australian first class cricket.

Yes, but what I'm trying to say is that there are so many cricketers in India. Millions. And unless the selectors think you have something special you won't get in.

Yes, but they do prematurely pick players very often. A lot of teenagers who show that they could be international cricketers get picked straight out of school in India. Whereas in Australia who have to play yourself up the systems.

Yes, but what I'm trying to say is that there are so many cricketers in India. Millions. And unless the selectors think you have something special you won't get in.

I do accept this as a valid contributing factor, but I don't think it has all that much effect. The UK has a far higher population than Australia and yet the England team is much easier to get into - could you see Bopara as he is now playing for Australia?

Well India seem to use all of their fast bowlers available. I mean they gave a debut to Itshant Sharma a debut at the age of 19!

Yes, but they do prematurely pick players very often. A lot of teenagers who show that they could be international cricketers get picked straight out of school in India. Whereas in Australia who have to play yourself up the systems.

They play so much under 15, under 17 and under 19 cricket that selectors can pick from the new lot if they want any time not just out after playing in school games. Every state might be having 500 cricket clubs.

You've got Piyush Chawla debuting at the age of 16 whilst I'm not even sure Shane Warne (The greatest spin bowler of all time) was even comtemplating playing International cricket when he was 16 and he didn't even make his first-class debut til he was 21 and Test debut when he was 22.

I think that plus those lists prove much how easier it is to get into the Indian team then the Australian team when it comes to that Tendulkar/Ponting debate.

Its hard enough to get into your citys playing Xi forget about India XI.

Suresh Raina is first on the list, and Yuvraj debuted in 2003, 4 years ago, he's currently 26 which means he debuted at the age of 22, not a teenager. Parthiv Patel will be added to the list though :D

Piyush Chawla, age 18, test debut 2006, when he was 16

Yuvraj debuted for India in 2000 when he was 19. He was born in 81.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread