Best Current Wicketkeeper

Boucher and Gilll are also good but I ll say
East or west Akmal is the Best :D

Last edited:
nightprowler10 said:
Did you see any of the chances he missed that he expected first slip to take? That also includes one off of Yousuf in the fourth test. He's getting better, but he's not to be compared to Boucher yet. In contrast, GoJo was getting much better and didn't make any mistakes through the Pakistan series.

Talk about over-exagerration! You mean the two chances... He has so far taken some great catches, looked very tidy behind the stumps to both spin and pace, and after the initial teething problems with 1st slip seems to now have a good idea as to what to go for and what to leave. I'd much rather he left it to go straight to 1st slip than did a Gojo and go flying across him and get nowhere near it.

Personally I feel Boucher looks better than he is due to not having to keep to any kind of quality spin (or at least I've never witnessed it) which considering Sangakarra time after time keeps to the almost unreadable Murali must make him close.

I will admit I thought Akmal was a quality keeper after seeing him on the placcid Pakistani pitches, but the moment he arrived in England with a little bit of swing, he has looked hopeless, worse than Geraint did in the Ashes which is saying something. Does have almost 10 years on Geraint though ;)

So I'd say Sanga, Boucher and Read are three of the finest glovesmen in the world at the moment. Gilly would be pretty close.

Dhoni seems to be the best choice for ODIs at the moment.His keeping also seems to get better with each match. Gilchrist was the best, and probably the best of all time.. but i think his time is beginning to pass by.Nowhere near as good as he was in ODIs as before. Boucher is good too. Sangakkara doesn't seem to be in the best of form. So Dhoni for ODIs and Gilchrist for tests.

varunvgiri said:
Dhoni seems to be the best choice for ODIs at the moment.His keeping also seems to get better with each match. Gilchrist was the best, and probably the best of all time.. but i think his time is beginning to pass by.Nowhere near as good as he was in ODIs as before. Boucher is good too. Sangakkara doesn't seem to be in the best of form. So Dhoni for ODIs and Gilchrist for tests.

Gilchrist by no means is the best wicketkeeper of all time.

Ok, i have differnt views on Wk's, i believe Gilchrist has done the best allround job, in batting while keeping high standards of WKing.

But my best WK id have is Geraint Jones, i believe he was dropped purely on lack of runs, as his WicketKeeping is IMO the best in the world.

But as of a batsmen it has to be Kumar Sangakkara, he has done a brilliant job for Sri Lanka and people say its Murali who have kept them going, it hasnt as Sanga has been there a long time and he has always put a effort in with the bat :p

Gilchrist first followed by daylight

in my books Dhoni is more of a ball stopper then a keeper but his batting keeps him in the team. Sangakkara is a very decent glovesman and his batting is top draw as well. Boucher also has to be up there with the best behind the timber. After that i dont rate to many others. Haven't seen much of Read to comment but i've heard he's alot better with the gloves and was only stuck behind Jones because he could bat a bit. Akmal doesn't get a mention from me.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Gilchrist by no means is the best wicketkeeper of all time.

Well... , I was taking into consideration both his batting and keeping abilities. Considering wholesome contribution to the team I think he is the best ever.But it is just my opinion..

Who is the best for you..

varunvgiri said:
Well... , I was taking into consideration both his batting and keeping abilities. Considering wholesome contribution to the team I think he is the best ever.But it is just my opinion..

Who is the best for you..

Well when you put it that way then yes, I'd say Gilchrist would be the best wicket keeper batsman of all time.

With the gloves alone, I'd say Ian Healy. Though, my dad said that Rodney Marsh used to also be really good.

varunvgiri said:
No, Gilchrist was the best and still he is the best.After him its Boucher and Sangakarra.Remember that Dhoni still has to tour Australia,New Zealand,South Africa,England so don't get into conclusion on the basis of those runs which were scored on the sub-continent wickets.

Personally, when it comes to wicketkeeping skill, I cant tell the difference between a great keeper, and a crap one, unless its Geriant Jones.

How can you tell so easily, whether a keeper is good?

Thing such as how many he's dropped or how many byes he lets past him, also you have to look at his sharpness behind the sticks, such as run outs and stumpings, he also has to be able to dive a long was to take a masterful catch

Users who are viewing this thread