Best Current Wicketkeeper

Simbazz said:
Thing such as how many he's dropped or how many byes he lets past him, also you have to look at his sharpness behind the sticks, such as run outs and stumpings, he also has to be able to dive a long was to take a masterful catch

Byes are a harsh thing to judge keepers on. What if it's an absolutley awful delivery that the Keeper had no chance of getting a glove on and it goes to the boundary for 4 byes? You can't call a Wicket Keeper rubbish when that happens to him.

Simbazz said:
But my best WK id have is Geraint Jones, i believe he was dropped purely on lack of runs, as his WicketKeeping is IMO the best in the world.

If you think Jones is the best gloveman in the world then you have clearer never seen Boucher and Sangakkara keep before. Heck, even Read and Gilly are better glovemen than him. Jones is a good gloveman but he's far from the best in the world. Just wait until Jones gets back amongst the runs again, his keeping will probably dip again.

Last edited:
I think i was drinking somthing when i made my Jonesy point of view, i think he is up there with Sanga and Boucher, out of every WK in the world it would be Sanga or Boucher that id choose,

and yes if it was an aweful delivery ok, but some great wicketkeepers have made some amazing catches when a bowler slings a aweful ball down there!

You judge batsmen on runs and you judge bowlers on wickets so the same shoudl apply to wicket-keepers. Regardless of however many catches they put down or how many byes they concede, they should be judged on their runs and/or their amount of dismissals. Which is why the likes of Gilly and Sangakkara stand out.

I totally agree, but times have changed from WK's being there just to keep wicket, to know having to be able to bat, and do it with the tail. That is why Gilly stands out, Sanga does it as he is a top order batsmen.

GOJo got dropped because of this, else i still believe he would be there and be a sure started in the Ashes

What's to say he isn't a sure starter anyway?

And did you even read my post? I didn't say anything about Keeper's being there just to keep.

evertonfan said:
What's to say he isn't a sure starter anyway?

And did you even read my post? I didn't say anything about Keeper's being there just to keep.

He isnt a sure started as no Wicket Keeper has got a central contract!

And i wasnt saying the point about keepers ther to keep aimed at you, i was just saying times have changed

evertonfan said:
You judge batsmen on runs and you judge bowlers on wickets so the same shoudl apply to wicket-keepers. Regardless of however many catches they put down or how many byes they concede, they should be judged on their runs and/or their amount of dismissals. Which is why the likes of Gilly and Sangakkara stand out.
You can't judge by that.

You can't control whether or not the batsmen will knick the ball, and how bad/good the deliveries are.

You could have the best keeper in the world, but just because the bowlers are getting knicks, the keeper is regarded as mediocore? Not fair.

pinchinator said:
Boucher and Sangakarra easily but im biased so im gonna say Prior :p

:D

Best English keeper in an all round battle easily.

Still he's only 24 and has got plenty of years in him yet.

Prior would be a brilliant No. 7 for England... only putting him so low because he can hit out if required and England's batting line-up is strong.

Im gonna go with Sangakarra since I haven't seen much of Boucher lately

Akmal the best in the world? He's played nowhere near enough cricket to make a bold assumption like that.

I believe lots of people are hitting the nail on the head with the comments about Sanga or Boucher and Gilly, all three are first class WK'ers and it would be hard to say who is best, although i do love South Africa, great country, so im gunna go with Boucher who did quite a bit in the greatest ODI ever!

Users who are viewing this thread