Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Justin Kemp

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 25 15.9%

• Total voters
nightprowler10 said:
Pathan, Pathans

(pet?nz?) , group of seminomadic peoples consisting of more than 60 tribes, numbering approximately 10 million in Pakistan and 6 million in Afghanistan, where they form the dominate ethnic group (historically known as Afghans and now typically as Pashtuns). Pathans are Muslims and speak Pashto (or Pushtu). They are also known as Pashtuns, Pushtuns, Pakhtuns, and Pakhtoons. The Pathans are noted as fierce fighters, and throughout history they have offered strong resistance to invaders. The British attempted to subdue the Pathans in a series of punitive expeditions in the late 19th and early 20th cent. but were finally forced to offer them a semiautonomous area (see North-West Frontier Province ) between the border of British India and that of Afghanistan.

Source: http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/P/Pathan.asp

There are several Pathan cricketers today and many have played cricket in the past (Imran Khan). Anyone with the last name Khan is in fact a Pathan, but not necessarily from the North West Frontier Province. Here is a list of Pathans in international cricket that I know of:

• Younis Khan
  • Moin Khan
  • Shahid Afridi
  • Irfan Pathan
  • Arshad Khan
  • Umer Gul

That well and truly shut me up! :o

u forgot a person who is easily the best player at taking an attack apart. andrew symonds.

nightprowler10 said:
Pathan, Pathans

(pet?nz?) , group of seminomadic peoples consisting of more than 60 tribes, numbering approximately 10 million in Pakistan and 6 million in Afghanistan, where they form the dominate ethnic group (historically known as Afghans and now typically as Pashtuns). Pathans are Muslims and speak Pashto (or Pushtu). They are also known as Pashtuns, Pushtuns, Pakhtuns, and Pakhtoons. The Pathans are noted as fierce fighters, and throughout history they have offered strong resistance to invaders. The British attempted to subdue the Pathans in a series of punitive expeditions in the late 19th and early 20th cent. but were finally forced to offer them a semiautonomous area (see North-West Frontier Province ) between the border of British India and that of Afghanistan.

There are several Pathan cricketers today and many have played cricket in the past (Imran Khan). Anyone with the last name Khan is in fact a Pathan, but not necessarily from the North West Frontier Province. Here is a list of Pathans in international cricket that I know of:

• Younis Khan
  • Moin Khan
  • Shahid Afridi
  • Irfan Pathan
  • Arshad Khan
  • Umer Gul

So saying "Afradi is pathan and mad hitter" is like saying "Gilchrist is Bellingenian (NSW) and mad hitter"?

For the same instance, you would probably have to trace his herritage back further than that.

The point is that the Pathans are a people distinct from the rest.

angryangy said:
For the same instance, you would probably have to trace his herritage back further than that.

The point is that the Pathans are a people distinct from the rest.

How far back do we need to go? Coz at the end we will probably say that "Gilly is English and mad hitter".

Cairns for sure, Flintoff isn't as good, sorry Englishmen, but he's not.
Symonds would be my second choice, then maybe Flintoff.

or European vladiator.

One of the Aussie rugby players has the most scottish name ever, Stirling Mortlock.

Flintoffs a better all rounder though.

nightprowler10 said:
Pathan, Pathans

• Younis Khan
  • Moin Khan
  • Shahid Afridi
  • Irfan Pathan
  • Arshad Khan
  • Umer Gul

I am from Afghanistan,but although I am not a pathan,

Afghanistan will make a strong cricket team in the future,We have some good pathan cricketers playing for Afghanistan and the team is developing and hopefully one day will able to take role in international cricket,

Pathans are basically very strong people,They are fierce fighters as well,Pathans are orginally from afghanistan,

No body I mean no body will able to match the fierce some power of Pathans, :happy

Sureshot said:
One of the Aussie rugby players has the most scottish name ever, Stirling Mortlock.
Agreed...But names like that are common here.
Around 70% of Australians have European heritage and that's
mostly British and Scottish. For instance, my mother is Briton
and my father is a Scotsman, my Brit heritage is from Whitby,
which happens to be my surname & my middle name is Graham.

Anyway...
Happy cricketing...
Andrew G.

have to say Klusener ,man of the series World Cup 1999 for those last 10 over sloggings, and then Pollock(my favorite player other than Dravid)

Users who are viewing this thread