Big-money England match in doubt

DPRA

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The $20m match between England and Sir Allen Stanford's Caribbean team is in doubt after a High Court ruling.

The West Indies Cricket Board has lost its case against team sponsor Digicel and been told it cannot sanction the match, set for 1 November in Antigua.

Digicel, overlooked as a sponsor, took action as it felt it had full branding rights on the match, claiming it was effectively a West Indies match.

The ruling added that no West Indians on central contracts could play.

That would mean star players like captain Chris Gayle and batsmen Shiv Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan would be barred from playing for England's opponents, the Stanford Super Stars XI.

Full Story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7657046.stm

West Indies forfeit, thank you very much English cricket would like it's money now. :D Well that'ws what I would say if i was in the ecb, hopefully it will be resolved because I was looking forward to these games, just because of the pressure on the players, they say playing for their countries an honour but this would really see the best of them.

I read in the Metro this morning that a deal has been thrashed out soe the game will still go ahead.

I don't think it was ever not going to have gone ahead, far too much invested in it to have been a doubt it was always going to be resolved, just means Stanford has to give away a bit more cash.

More to the point, do you get Metro up north? I thought it was a London rag.

Yeah. We've had it for a fair few years now. It's a surprisingly good read when i'm en route to college or heading to Liverpool on the train.

If London train stations are anything to go by, I'm surprised there are any left by the time students are awake. Or do you just read a cast off you found on the train ;)

Cast offs mostly haha. Sometimes I have to piece together various pages left on the floor/seats/hanging out of windows.

Users who are viewing this thread